Bobcat M600 Leaky Rear Axle

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Buckshot7711

Hey Guys- I have a 1971 Melroe/Bobcat M600 skid steer. I am leaking hydraulic oil from the inside of the machine and it appears to be coming from the rear axle inner housings. I purchased new O-rings and the four holed gaskets from Bobcat. I crawled underneath the machine and removed the caps and the O-rings were pretty bad. The gaskets appear to be leaking as well. I removed the castle nut and washers, but did not want to force the inner axle housing off. Can I remove this housing and replace the gasket without having to remove the side panels/axle shaft/sprocket/etc...? The gasket I am referring to is the gasket which is between the frame of the machine and the axle housing underneath the machine. Please let me know as I will probably have to order more parts such as bearings if I have to tear this whole thing down. I was hoping I could replace the O-ring and gasket without having to do all this as the outer seals and gaskets don't leak. Any info is greatly appreciated- thanks very much - Larry

6brnorma

Larry.......(Good name) Couple of things......I've owned and worked on many M-600/610s and I have never seen one with the original "factory" gasket leak where you are describing. In light of the fact it is a fairly serious job to replace that gasket (or any axel service), I normally "let'er leak" until I have some major reason to be in there. Most axel leaks are the outer seals or the inner cap O-rings, which you have already replaced, so I would make sure the oil is not coming from the clutch hydro lines above the cap before I did this job. Due to the tension on the axel by the drive chain, I don't believe you can replace that gasket without opening the chain case to at least release the tension. Larry

OP
OP
B

Buckshot7711

Larry.......(Good name) Couple of things......I've owned and worked on many M-600/610s and I have never seen one with the original "factory" gasket leak where you are describing. In light of the fact it is a fairly serious job to replace that gasket (or any axel service), I normally "let'er leak" until I have some major reason to be in there. Most axel leaks are the outer seals or the inner cap O-rings, which you have already replaced, so I would make sure the oil is not coming from the clutch hydro lines above the cap before I did this job. Due to the tension on the axel by the drive chain, I don't believe you can replace that gasket without opening the chain case to at least release the tension. Larry
Thanks Larry- I really don't think it is the hydraulic lines- I have replaced them and made sure they weren't leaking. Maybe it is just the O-ring underneath the caps- I will replace them and give it a shot. Thanks for your help and advice -Larry

6brnorma

Thanks Larry- I really don't think it is the hydraulic lines- I have replaced them and made sure they weren't leaking. Maybe it is just the O-ring underneath the caps- I will replace them and give it a shot. Thanks for your help and advice -Larry
Just to be clear. The lines I'm referring to are the steel lines that feed the "clutch" shafts. They are found on the inside frame, directly opposite the "clutch" caps on the viewing panel (4 of them, 2 per side). The lines themselves rarely leak.....the leak would occur at the lead washer and nut that secures the clutch shaft in place. After a period of time that lead washer will fail and fluid will run down the inside of the machine body. It is a very common failure point.

OP
OP
B

Buckshot7711

Just to be clear. The lines I'm referring to are the steel lines that feed the "clutch" shafts. They are found on the inside frame, directly opposite the "clutch" caps on the viewing panel (4 of them, 2 per side). The lines themselves rarely leak.....the leak would occur at the lead washer and nut that secures the clutch shaft in place. After a period of time that lead washer will fail and fluid will run down the inside of the machine body. It is a very common failure point.
Yeah- I know all about those lead washers. I replaced them in May when I put new clutch linings in the machine.