Bobcat farmboy

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
D

DSTEVENS

Hi David,
I re-hosed my entire 440b last year. It was blowing about one every 6 months, at the most inconvenient times. So they all got replaced, whether they looked okay or not. I took them to a local industrial hydraulic shop, cost about $80 total to have all new ones made, same day service.
As far as your muffler goes, where are you located? I have one that is still mounted to the Kohler engine I pulled out when I repowered mine. FYI - For the repower, I simply cut a hole in the rear door for the exhaust to exit from, but my machine is far from original...
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=31173
If you are not liking the Farmboy prices that Bobcat gives you, try pricing the same parts for a newer machine: 450, 453, 463, S70. A lot of the parts are exactly the same (or close enough), but have different part numbers. Can save you a bundle on OEM parts.
HTH - SR
Hello SR, glad to here from you, awesome pictures of transplant. I was trying to make up my mind to repower or just reuse the old Kohler. The Kohler runs good, and I was told it is a low hour replacement engine from years ago, I do have paperwork showing a purchase of a new Kohler engine. I seem to remember it being somewhere early 2000's? I would certainly be interested in your muffler, as my mind is made up to reuse Kohler due to a complete new central air/heat system having to be installed in my home. OUCH!!!!!! I am wondering if I should put new starter on Kohler, since its a PITA to get to, and on occasion when I hit switch it would spin but not engage. I have not removed pump assembly yet, been busy with other things. I live in Texas Hill Country 78055, I would be interested in your muffler, give me the details when you can. Email is fine too. Thanks again for the information. D.

SkidRoe

Hello SR, glad to here from you, awesome pictures of transplant. I was trying to make up my mind to repower or just reuse the old Kohler. The Kohler runs good, and I was told it is a low hour replacement engine from years ago, I do have paperwork showing a purchase of a new Kohler engine. I seem to remember it being somewhere early 2000's? I would certainly be interested in your muffler, as my mind is made up to reuse Kohler due to a complete new central air/heat system having to be installed in my home. OUCH!!!!!! I am wondering if I should put new starter on Kohler, since its a PITA to get to, and on occasion when I hit switch it would spin but not engage. I have not removed pump assembly yet, been busy with other things. I live in Texas Hill Country 78055, I would be interested in your muffler, give me the details when you can. Email is fine too. Thanks again for the information. D.
Let me see what I can do on the muffler. It is still on the engine down at the farm, haven't looked at it for a few years.
If you click on my user name, that will take you to my profile page, which has my e-mail on it.
Cheers - SR

OP
OP
D

DSTEVENS

Let me see what I can do on the muffler. It is still on the engine down at the farm, haven't looked at it for a few years.
If you click on my user name, that will take you to my profile page, which has my e-mail on it.
Cheers - SR
Sorry SR, i have been out of town. An update on the farmboy..... i have hydraulic pumps out and on way to repair shop. Will see the extent of damage/repairs nesessary. What a bunch of work. It will be worse going back in. I have time to clean inside machine now its empty. I will keep updating the progress and repairs for anyone interested. Thank you SR, and I do apologize for not getting back with you. I will email at a later date. Best wishes. D.

Arik434

Sorry SR, i have been out of town. An update on the farmboy..... i have hydraulic pumps out and on way to repair shop. Will see the extent of damage/repairs nesessary. What a bunch of work. It will be worse going back in. I have time to clean inside machine now its empty. I will keep updating the progress and repairs for anyone interested. Thank you SR, and I do apologize for not getting back with you. I will email at a later date. Best wishes. D.
Hello, just wondering if you ever got your machine back together or what the shop said about your hydrostatic pumps. I have a 440 that sounds like it has pretty similar issues. I am also fully rebuilding mine, but the service manager at my local dealer said today that these machine were prone to suck air into the system at the pintle shaft seals. I think I am going to replace mine since the pumps are out also. Arik

OP
OP
D

DSTEVENS

Hello, just wondering if you ever got your machine back together or what the shop said about your hydrostatic pumps. I have a 440 that sounds like it has pretty similar issues. I am also fully rebuilding mine, but the service manager at my local dealer said today that these machine were prone to suck air into the system at the pintle shaft seals. I think I am going to replace mine since the pumps are out also. Arik
Hello Arik434, i am very sorry for not responding to you and for being offline for so long ang not updating For those interested. I have had life issues taking up my time. Long story short i took the farmboy hydraulic pumps to a well known repair shop. He had worked on that set up before. The Cessna pump which is no longer available was in good shape internally, as well as both hydrostat pumps, a bolt was broken off in the case and required that it go to a machine shop for repair. An overhaul kit was istalled, which was basically bearings and seals/o-rings. It took 4 months to get it back. Yes that was too long, but i was busy anyway. I have recently reinstalled pump assembly with new hoses. I reused old Kohler m18 that was in it, and it runs and operates at this time, i have been tracking down more hydraulic leaks from other places, mainly the loader valve body i hope. I also had to work on carb that has sat for a year. I was told engine has low hours and it runs great, i am still leaking somewhere and i have not found out where yet. I replaced drive belt on pumps and wanted a new idler/tensioner, but i have run into NLA at Bobcat on many items, so i put a lawnmower deck idler from tractor supply on it, i made bushings to keep it lined up, but it works so far. I have a lot of little things to work through, and to figure out where leak/leaks are still. Thanks to everyone who has helped me with questions. BEST WISHES. David

OP
OP
D

DSTEVENS

Hello Arik434, i am very sorry for not responding to you and for being offline for so long ang not updating For those interested. I have had life issues taking up my time. Long story short i took the farmboy hydraulic pumps to a well known repair shop. He had worked on that set up before. The Cessna pump which is no longer available was in good shape internally, as well as both hydrostat pumps, a bolt was broken off in the case and required that it go to a machine shop for repair. An overhaul kit was istalled, which was basically bearings and seals/o-rings. It took 4 months to get it back. Yes that was too long, but i was busy anyway. I have recently reinstalled pump assembly with new hoses. I reused old Kohler m18 that was in it, and it runs and operates at this time, i have been tracking down more hydraulic leaks from other places, mainly the loader valve body i hope. I also had to work on carb that has sat for a year. I was told engine has low hours and it runs great, i am still leaking somewhere and i have not found out where yet. I replaced drive belt on pumps and wanted a new idler/tensioner, but i have run into NLA at Bobcat on many items, so i put a lawnmower deck idler from tractor supply on it, i made bushings to keep it lined up, but it works so far. I have a lot of little things to work through, and to figure out where leak/leaks are still. Thanks to everyone who has helped me with questions. BEST WISHES. David
The person that worked on my pumps for the farmboy told me that the charge pump was over pressuring the hydrastat pump because of a worn seal, there was a bolt broken off on one pintle shaft seal retainer and it pushed seal out enough to empty the hydro oil in short order. There was also a bolt broken off in the case between the two hydrastat pumps, that one was repaired by a machine shop. According to owner of shop original cessna pump was in very good shape, no damage or metal particles inside. I changed all of hoses, and put 15/40 diesel oil in hydraulics. The noise and shudder in hydraulics is gone. So far it is smooth operation up and down. Certain oem parts are unavailable, and some are a retrofit kit, that cost a ridiculous amount. The belt tensioner/idler and spring assembly is NLA, and a retrofit is available, however i found an exact size lawnmower deck idler at tractor supply and fabbed up some spacers and a bushing and mounted it on the original control arm with original spring tensioner. So far it works great, i have a hydraulic leak somewhere around loader valve body and it is hard to pinpoint. I need to pressure wash everything again and continue looking. Next i plan to drain chaincase and refill. I have made a muffler for it out of automotive exhaust pipe and routed it in same fashion as original to rear "stack". i am 6'4" so i removed lap bar to ease my entry and exit, disconnected pedal locks, so it would work without bar. Slowly getting things in order, rear door was bent from impact, i have it straight and remounted, needs a weld in one area and it will be good. Hopefully get everything worked out by fall. Best Wishes. D.

Latest posts