Bobcat farmboy

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

DSTEVENS

Hello everyone, I just joined and posted a short hello in the introduction page, I am excited about my barn find 440 farmboy, original owner, all original paperwork and manual, runs and operates too. It has sat for a LOT of years, I am going through things I can, Fuel system, fluids, filters ect. BUT..... The muffler is rusted out, Where can I find a muffler that might work? Bobcat wants over $400. for replacement. I would like to keep it close to original. Its a Kohler Magnum 18 hp, that replaced the original engine. It still uses the cast iron exhaust manifolds and the original Nelson slip on muffler, but it is full of holes, and slip joint in gone on one cylinder from rust. Thank you for any information, btw, I called several small engine places in the U.S. about the original muffler, and the number doesn't come up off of original muffler. Best wishes. David

6brnorma

That is quite the find………not something you will run across everyday….especially with paperwork and manual. Did that come original with the Onan engine? I have a part #155C860 for that muffler…is that what you have?

OP
OP
D

DSTEVENS

That is quite the find………not something you will run across everyday….especially with paperwork and manual. Did that come original with the Onan engine? I have a part #155C860 for that muffler…is that what you have?
Thank you 6brnorma, I am unfamiliar with this machine, I owned a 763 for years, but know little about farmboy model. As far as paperwork it says Kohler was original engine, owner who was of advanced age said engine was replaced in the last 31 years and has low hours, as it was stored in barn and not used much after that. It is an 85 model. have certificate of origin, and original owners manual. My muffler says Nelson 10N82 then from whats not rusted off NM1887? A simplicity muffler on ebay with number 1666923 looks close except for exit pipe. I plan on a light restoration of this machine to use around my property for a shovel, wheel barrow, and general conversation piece. it has 23-850-12 tires and 42" bucket. Needs 2 wheels, due to center damage and multiple repairs, all cylinders are rebuilt at this time, fuel system is almost complete, new filters, fluids are next. I have wheels and tires on the way. It needs a paint job, someone took a paint brush to it with white paint on everything. The sheet metal is in above average condition for its age, little surface rust and few dents. I may find issues with 31 yo hydraulics, but I have not ran it enough to find major issues yet. Thank you! D.

6brnorma

Thank you 6brnorma, I am unfamiliar with this machine, I owned a 763 for years, but know little about farmboy model. As far as paperwork it says Kohler was original engine, owner who was of advanced age said engine was replaced in the last 31 years and has low hours, as it was stored in barn and not used much after that. It is an 85 model. have certificate of origin, and original owners manual. My muffler says Nelson 10N82 then from whats not rusted off NM1887? A simplicity muffler on ebay with number 1666923 looks close except for exit pipe. I plan on a light restoration of this machine to use around my property for a shovel, wheel barrow, and general conversation piece. it has 23-850-12 tires and 42" bucket. Needs 2 wheels, due to center damage and multiple repairs, all cylinders are rebuilt at this time, fuel system is almost complete, new filters, fluids are next. I have wheels and tires on the way. It needs a paint job, someone took a paint brush to it with white paint on everything. The sheet metal is in above average condition for its age, little surface rust and few dents. I may find issues with 31 yo hydraulics, but I have not ran it enough to find major issues yet. Thank you! D.
OK…..so I screwed up……I was thinking of the M-440. Yes the Farmboy was made in 1985 & 1986. I am not any help on this machine. There are probably several guys on here that are familiar with it and the 440. That should be a unique machine. Good Luck.

Tazza

Staff member
OK…..so I screwed up……I was thinking of the M-440. Yes the Farmboy was made in 1985 & 1986. I am not any help on this machine. There are probably several guys on here that are familiar with it and the 440. That should be a unique machine. Good Luck.
You may have no choice but to spend the money if you want to keep it close to original. You can always adapt something to work that is cheaper, but won't look the same.

OP
OP
D

DSTEVENS

You may have no choice but to spend the money if you want to keep it close to original. You can always adapt something to work that is cheaper, but won't look the same.
Thank you Tazza, I may give up and order new one from Bobcat, I was just amazed at the fact that with as many Kohler engines that are out there that I cannot find something to fit that is close to OEM. I am getting the rest of fuel system parts today, when I get it running I may haul it to muffler shop and put temporary system on for my trial runs. I appreciate all the help. Best wishes. D.

Hotrod1830

Thank you Tazza, I may give up and order new one from Bobcat, I was just amazed at the fact that with as many Kohler engines that are out there that I cannot find something to fit that is close to OEM. I am getting the rest of fuel system parts today, when I get it running I may haul it to muffler shop and put temporary system on for my trial runs. I appreciate all the help. Best wishes. D.
Bobcat makes a fortune on that principle. If your in a hurry, order it from Bobcat$$$$$$$. If you can wait, be patient and a solution may present itself.
On a side note, I am a little confused. I thought the Farmboy was a rebadged 440? Shouldnt a 440 muffler work?
The aftermarket replacements are a little lacking in quality. If you are wanting something cheaper that looks AND sounds like a Bobcat muffler, you may as well give up now. If all you want is a muffler, ask around. Heck, I found an aftermarket muffler for my 310. I'm sure a muffler for a 440 or 440B is out there. Juts gonna have to put in some work to find it.

OP
OP
D

DSTEVENS

Bobcat makes a fortune on that principle. If your in a hurry, order it from Bobcat$$$$$$$. If you can wait, be patient and a solution may present itself.
On a side note, I am a little confused. I thought the Farmboy was a rebadged 440? Shouldnt a 440 muffler work?
The aftermarket replacements are a little lacking in quality. If you are wanting something cheaper that looks AND sounds like a Bobcat muffler, you may as well give up now. If all you want is a muffler, ask around. Heck, I found an aftermarket muffler for my 310. I'm sure a muffler for a 440 or 440B is out there. Juts gonna have to put in some work to find it.
Hello Hotrod1830, I am not in a big hurry to pay OEM pricing for a muffler, but I have looked around, so far no luck. I have just finished replacing fuel lines and fittings, including OEM tank fittings and siphon tube. I have my new tires mounted to OEM replacement wheels, but studs are damaged and I am going to replace all on left side. I am going to pull top from chain case below parking brake and look around. Fluid is low and nasty looking, also smells like 90 wt. I can tell left rear axle was leaking some. No play in or out on axles left side. I guess by time I am through, I will have as much or more in it as its original cost. I received my service manual for it, and it says you must use a siphon to drain the chain case. Is that right???? I cannot believe there is not a drain. Anyway, I am slowly progressing on the restoration. Thank you all for the information and any and all comments. D.

OP
OP
D

DSTEVENS

Hello Hotrod1830, I am not in a big hurry to pay OEM pricing for a muffler, but I have looked around, so far no luck. I have just finished replacing fuel lines and fittings, including OEM tank fittings and siphon tube. I have my new tires mounted to OEM replacement wheels, but studs are damaged and I am going to replace all on left side. I am going to pull top from chain case below parking brake and look around. Fluid is low and nasty looking, also smells like 90 wt. I can tell left rear axle was leaking some. No play in or out on axles left side. I guess by time I am through, I will have as much or more in it as its original cost. I received my service manual for it, and it says you must use a siphon to drain the chain case. Is that right???? I cannot believe there is not a drain. Anyway, I am slowly progressing on the restoration. Thank you all for the information and any and all comments. D.
Hello everyone, I am progressing on my farmboy restoration and have a question. I have finished fuel system repair/replacement and it runs good, and now I am starting on hydraulics. I drained system and refilled with engine oil, when I pulled drain plug on filter block air blew out, and very little fluid. I have operated this machine some before draining and it makes a cavitation growl at idle, and has a hesitation during the upstroke of boom arms. all hydraulics work and machine moves correctly, but still has cavitation/air sound and stroke hesitation. I figure 31 year old seals or O-rings are dried out, but I pressure washed everything and so far cannot see any leaks. I cut the filter and looked inside, saw nothing in element or inside housing, so I guess that is good news. So I am waiting to do a little light work with it until I figure why hydraulics are acting this way. I have a service manual I am going through as well. Any responses will be greatly appreciated. I have NOT purchased a new OEM muffler yet (a previous question) I have just welded some on old one, and made it do for now. Thank you all. BEST WISHES. D.

Hotrod1830

Hello everyone, I am progressing on my farmboy restoration and have a question. I have finished fuel system repair/replacement and it runs good, and now I am starting on hydraulics. I drained system and refilled with engine oil, when I pulled drain plug on filter block air blew out, and very little fluid. I have operated this machine some before draining and it makes a cavitation growl at idle, and has a hesitation during the upstroke of boom arms. all hydraulics work and machine moves correctly, but still has cavitation/air sound and stroke hesitation. I figure 31 year old seals or O-rings are dried out, but I pressure washed everything and so far cannot see any leaks. I cut the filter and looked inside, saw nothing in element or inside housing, so I guess that is good news. So I am waiting to do a little light work with it until I figure why hydraulics are acting this way. I have a service manual I am going through as well. Any responses will be greatly appreciated. I have NOT purchased a new OEM muffler yet (a previous question) I have just welded some on old one, and made it do for now. Thank you all. BEST WISHES. D.
If you got any air in the system, it will take a bit of time to get it out and sound normal. I have to run my 553 for a good hour before it stops making funny noises after changing fluid(I Drain via aux)
If it sounded fine before the service, chances are it is still OK.

OP
OP
D

DSTEVENS

If you got any air in the system, it will take a bit of time to get it out and sound normal. I have to run my 553 for a good hour before it stops making funny noises after changing fluid(I Drain via aux)
If it sounded fine before the service, chances are it is still OK.
Hello Hotrod1830, I operated the farmboy before I changed hydraulic fluid and filter and it had a shudder/chatter when lifting boom or tilting bucket, seems to be worse on upstroke not noticeable when lowering. It makes an off and on whine at idle, and with cab up you can feel vibration through plumbing. All movements are normal as far as direction and motion of bucket and booms,with exception of chatter, but it has a bad chatter when raising, whether loaded or empty. I put new fluid,(Delo400) and a new Bobcat Hydro filter, machine still acts same way. I operated system according to manual when changing filter to purge air. At start of new filter replacement I pulled drain on filter block and air blew out. this was after running machine to warm up old fluid and working boom up and down. I can not tell if fluid is foamy due to no cap to look into. dipstick in rear looks ok. I did pressure wash everything. I cannot find any leaks as of yet. I cut old filter open, it was a NAPA filter. No debris found inside, everything looked very clean for 31 years old. I will operate it some more to see if I can purge air, There is a mobile Bobcat mechanic about 45 miles away, I may get him to look at it sometime. I will update my thread when I find the problem. Thank you for the information. Best wishes. D.

Clone

Hello Hotrod1830, I operated the farmboy before I changed hydraulic fluid and filter and it had a shudder/chatter when lifting boom or tilting bucket, seems to be worse on upstroke not noticeable when lowering. It makes an off and on whine at idle, and with cab up you can feel vibration through plumbing. All movements are normal as far as direction and motion of bucket and booms,with exception of chatter, but it has a bad chatter when raising, whether loaded or empty. I put new fluid,(Delo400) and a new Bobcat Hydro filter, machine still acts same way. I operated system according to manual when changing filter to purge air. At start of new filter replacement I pulled drain on filter block and air blew out. this was after running machine to warm up old fluid and working boom up and down. I can not tell if fluid is foamy due to no cap to look into. dipstick in rear looks ok. I did pressure wash everything. I cannot find any leaks as of yet. I cut old filter open, it was a NAPA filter. No debris found inside, everything looked very clean for 31 years old. I will operate it some more to see if I can purge air, There is a mobile Bobcat mechanic about 45 miles away, I may get him to look at it sometime. I will update my thread when I find the problem. Thank you for the information. Best wishes. D.
I have no idea how that machine is configured, but from what you are describing, I would be looking for the pump suction screen. Sounds like it is clogged and starving the pump.

OP
OP
D

DSTEVENS

I have no idea how that machine is configured, but from what you are describing, I would be looking for the pump suction screen. Sounds like it is clogged and starving the pump.
Well I used the farmboy for a while last week and air was still in system, I pressure washed every thing again, including removing drive motor covers and wheels. I have FINALLY found a leak, it might have always been there, but I could not see it before. After operating it in 100 degree heat for about 30 minutes I put it back in shop. Next day there is oil every where under machine and dripping out back door edge. It seems to be a short pintle shaft seal, if I read my service manual correctly? So I have decided to remove entire engine and pump assembly. fix leak/leaks and install new idler and belt, as well as suction hose on pump. I have a question regarding suction hose. There is a large diameter hose coming from left rear of tank on bottom and connects to pump on left outboard side of the assembly. That hose has hose clamps on both ends. IS THAT CORRECT? I do have service manual, but it does not show a good picture of that suction hose. I would think it should be screw on connections, not whatever it is slipped up on with hose clamps. All of the hydraulic hoses have been changed at some point prior to my ownership, with two exceptions. One hose on bucket is coming apart, and this suction hose looks old. I would appreciate any and all comments or recommendation on my endeavor. I am waiting for cooler weather here in Texas before I start the removal process. The Kohler engine, which is a Magnum 18, runs well, and does not use any oil, so I will look it over while out, and clean it well before reinstallation. As I have said this machine will only be used on my few acres as a shovel, wheel barrow, and hoist for various loading unloading projects, and I plan on taking it to local farm/car shows, once I get it working correctly and painted. Thank you and best wishes. D.

Hotrod1830

Well I used the farmboy for a while last week and air was still in system, I pressure washed every thing again, including removing drive motor covers and wheels. I have FINALLY found a leak, it might have always been there, but I could not see it before. After operating it in 100 degree heat for about 30 minutes I put it back in shop. Next day there is oil every where under machine and dripping out back door edge. It seems to be a short pintle shaft seal, if I read my service manual correctly? So I have decided to remove entire engine and pump assembly. fix leak/leaks and install new idler and belt, as well as suction hose on pump. I have a question regarding suction hose. There is a large diameter hose coming from left rear of tank on bottom and connects to pump on left outboard side of the assembly. That hose has hose clamps on both ends. IS THAT CORRECT? I do have service manual, but it does not show a good picture of that suction hose. I would think it should be screw on connections, not whatever it is slipped up on with hose clamps. All of the hydraulic hoses have been changed at some point prior to my ownership, with two exceptions. One hose on bucket is coming apart, and this suction hose looks old. I would appreciate any and all comments or recommendation on my endeavor. I am waiting for cooler weather here in Texas before I start the removal process. The Kohler engine, which is a Magnum 18, runs well, and does not use any oil, so I will look it over while out, and clean it well before reinstallation. As I have said this machine will only be used on my few acres as a shovel, wheel barrow, and hoist for various loading unloading projects, and I plan on taking it to local farm/car shows, once I get it working correctly and painted. Thank you and best wishes. D.
Slip on hose and hose clamps are OK on suction side. But, it is a good source for a air leak. Make sure the hose is solid and the clamps are tight. This usually means new hose and clamps. Recheck the clamps after a week or two. And make sure you use Hydraulic(petroleum) rated hose, not heater hose.

Hotrod1830

Slip on hose and hose clamps are OK on suction side. But, it is a good source for a air leak. Make sure the hose is solid and the clamps are tight. This usually means new hose and clamps. Recheck the clamps after a week or two. And make sure you use Hydraulic(petroleum) rated hose, not heater hose.
BTW, you will find all kind's of use's for your new Bobcat. I bought one to dig a lagoon year's ago with the intent of selling it and forgetting it. I now can't see myself without one.

OP
OP
D

DSTEVENS

BTW, you will find all kind's of use's for your new Bobcat. I bought one to dig a lagoon year's ago with the intent of selling it and forgetting it. I now can't see myself without one.
Thank you Hotrod1830, I have removed engine by itself, due to weight issue and no one to help me. Previous owner had torched a gap in end of engine to pump mounting plate, so crank pulley will slide through, so it took about 45 minutes for me to pull engine out. I am thinking about repowering instead of installing old Kohler back in, even though it runs good. All of pivot points on carb are worn, and I would solve exhaust issue, which I have yet to work out. So if I spent the money now and repowered, I would have no more issues with old things breaking or giving out. I will have a ridiculous amount invested in this machine when I am done, but I really like the little bugger. I will start on pulling pump assembly next week. I plan on taking it to a Hydraulic repair shop with Bobcat experience and get it looked at. I will replace any and all old hoses, and then pull loader valve block and have it done too. In removing things for the removal of powerplant I see lots of areas I can modify things for easier access. I used a hydraulic motorcycle table to slide engine onto, works excellent. roll table up to back of machine, remove door, jack table up to engine level and slide directly onto table top. simple. Thanks for the replies, I look forward to any comment or suggestion that will enlighten me on my first time repairs of the farmboy. I will update my progress as I venture on. Best wishes. D.

Tazza

Staff member
Thank you Hotrod1830, I have removed engine by itself, due to weight issue and no one to help me. Previous owner had torched a gap in end of engine to pump mounting plate, so crank pulley will slide through, so it took about 45 minutes for me to pull engine out. I am thinking about repowering instead of installing old Kohler back in, even though it runs good. All of pivot points on carb are worn, and I would solve exhaust issue, which I have yet to work out. So if I spent the money now and repowered, I would have no more issues with old things breaking or giving out. I will have a ridiculous amount invested in this machine when I am done, but I really like the little bugger. I will start on pulling pump assembly next week. I plan on taking it to a Hydraulic repair shop with Bobcat experience and get it looked at. I will replace any and all old hoses, and then pull loader valve block and have it done too. In removing things for the removal of powerplant I see lots of areas I can modify things for easier access. I used a hydraulic motorcycle table to slide engine onto, works excellent. roll table up to back of machine, remove door, jack table up to engine level and slide directly onto table top. simple. Thanks for the replies, I look forward to any comment or suggestion that will enlighten me on my first time repairs of the farmboy. I will update my progress as I venture on. Best wishes. D.
New hoses will add up fast, talk to your local hydraulic repair shop and see what they can make them up for you for.
If they still flex and don't have cracks, i'd be inclinded to leave it alone. Hoses can blow, but if they are out of sunlight, they do last better. When the outer sheath starts to show cracks, it's time to replace it as it's on borrowed time.

OP
OP
D

DSTEVENS

New hoses will add up fast, talk to your local hydraulic repair shop and see what they can make them up for you for.
If they still flex and don't have cracks, i'd be inclinded to leave it alone. Hoses can blow, but if they are out of sunlight, they do last better. When the outer sheath starts to show cracks, it's time to replace it as it's on borrowed time.
Thank you Tazza, my local ACE Hardware makes hoses, All of the hoses in the bottom look to have been replaced, all look good. The suction hose and one bucket hose look old to extremely old. I have read any and all information about the farmboy that I could find online. It seems they were prone to pulling factory lug nuts through wheels under hard use. The left side of my machine had the wheels welded around bolt holes and had bolts with nuts and washers in place of wheel studs. A terrible looking and functioning job as well, it let wheel slip back and forth wearing bolts and axle flanges. I replaced all studs with factory thread size, but a more robust and zinc coated Dorman product. Also lug nuts are zinc coated and 3/4'' instead of factory 5/8'' that was on my machine. I bought Bobcat OEM wheels for $78.00 ea. These are the floatation size for the 23-850-12 flotation tires. Tires I installed are Samson brand 8 ply in 23-8.50-12 Skidloader tread pattern, at $78.00 ea. I actually expected wheels and tires to be more expensive, and was happy to get an OEM wheel. Wheels also have factory valve stem guard welded in place, and came with a shiny factory paint. I am giving this information hoping it will help anyone considering costs or parts availability. Best wishes. D.

SkidRoe

Thank you Tazza, my local ACE Hardware makes hoses, All of the hoses in the bottom look to have been replaced, all look good. The suction hose and one bucket hose look old to extremely old. I have read any and all information about the farmboy that I could find online. It seems they were prone to pulling factory lug nuts through wheels under hard use. The left side of my machine had the wheels welded around bolt holes and had bolts with nuts and washers in place of wheel studs. A terrible looking and functioning job as well, it let wheel slip back and forth wearing bolts and axle flanges. I replaced all studs with factory thread size, but a more robust and zinc coated Dorman product. Also lug nuts are zinc coated and 3/4'' instead of factory 5/8'' that was on my machine. I bought Bobcat OEM wheels for $78.00 ea. These are the floatation size for the 23-850-12 flotation tires. Tires I installed are Samson brand 8 ply in 23-8.50-12 Skidloader tread pattern, at $78.00 ea. I actually expected wheels and tires to be more expensive, and was happy to get an OEM wheel. Wheels also have factory valve stem guard welded in place, and came with a shiny factory paint. I am giving this information hoping it will help anyone considering costs or parts availability. Best wishes. D.
Hi David,
I re-hosed my entire 440b last year. It was blowing about one every 6 months, at the most inconvenient times. So they all got replaced, whether they looked okay or not. I took them to a local industrial hydraulic shop, cost about $80 total to have all new ones made, same day service.
As far as your muffler goes, where are you located? I have one that is still mounted to the Kohler engine I pulled out when I repowered mine. FYI - For the repower, I simply cut a hole in the rear door for the exhaust to exit from, but my machine is far from original...
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=31173
If you are not liking the Farmboy prices that Bobcat gives you, try pricing the same parts for a newer machine: 450, 453, 463, S70. A lot of the parts are exactly the same (or close enough), but have different part numbers. Can save you a bundle on OEM parts.
HTH - SR