Bobcat Electrical Attachment Hookup Explained In Detail !!!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Bobbyboy

A brief (well maybe not so brief) explanation of the electrical hook-up on the Bobcat attachment system is presented. It explains the options and how they work, or do not work. This confusing mess has been verified with Bobcat engineers directly and not the ill informed Bobcat dealers. Now you too will understand this totally confusing system.
1. - Bobcat 7 to14 pin (P/N 6706392), and 14 to 7 pin (P/N 6706391), pigtail converters. These converters exist as Bobcat part numbers but are used for older systems using the old style 7 pin "trailer connectors", not the newer 7 pin digital connectors as used today. For all practical purposes they are of no value in hooking up any type of attachments except perhaps series 40 and 50 loaders.. The reason will become clear as you read on.
2. - Bobcat 7-pin connector kit system. This stock connector kit consists of Bobcat P/N 7128426 kit which costs about $152 at dealer cost. This connector works in conjunction with the Bobcat attachment mounted solid state controller card. The connector carries ground, a pin of 12 volts, and digital data only to the attachment mounted proprietary and programmable Bobcat controller card. It is of no value to anything other than Bobcat engineered attachments since it must work in conjunction with the proprietary attachment mounted Bobcat controller card. The physical control of the 6-way (3 cylinder) blade is a cab mounted 3 position selector switch and a single 2 position rocker spring loaded to a center no contacting detent. It is a 2 switch system which the controller card on the blade decodes to the proper valve (of 6, 2 per valve) from digital data.
3. Bobcat 14-pin connector kit system alone. Consists of Bobcat P/N 6733136 kit which cost about $345 at dealer cost. This connector/system works in conjunction with non-Bobcat attachments, all of which do not have a Bobcat proprietary attachment mounted controller card but rather do have 12 volt mounted solenoids alone (6 [2 per valve] for a three cylinder attachment). This kit consist of both a cable and more importantly a Bobcat mounted controller/converter card (a sealed black unit with three connectors on it). This Bobcat mounted (not attachment mounted) controller, converts the digital signal intended for the standard 7-pin system into numerous 12 volt signal outputs only. They call it a digital to analog converter for lack of a better name. There are no digital signals on this system beyond this included Bobcat mounted (not attachment mounted) sealed black controller/converter . This kit is thus intended to interface cab mounted controls to 12 volt outputs only on specific receptacle pins, for control of the attachment through direct 12 volt (only) outputs. There are actually 5 receptacle or plugs on this unit, three of which connect to the Bobcat mounted controller (converter) card. This is why it costs $345 dollars.
This will not work with the newer 7 pin systems, nor is there a simple pigtail converter. This unit carries 12 volt signals only and does not interface to the attachment mounted Bobcat controller card on Bobcat implements.
4. Bobcat 7-pin and 14-pin connector kit system. Consists of Bobcat P/N 6727739 kit which costs about $400 at dealer cost. This kit contains both item 2 (cable alone) and item 3 (cable and controller/converter) above, and also interconnects to itself to self-detect if one is using a 14 pin direct 12 volt solenoid control on the attachment, or the Bobcat digital controller card system on the attachment. This is the grand daddy of interfaces.
====================
The 14 pin connector/converter system as described in items 2 and 3 above is intended for third party attachment providers who need complete direct 12 volt actuation control. At this time there does not exist any "pin-out" drawings for this system within Bobcat, but they suggest using a voltmeter and actuating various switches in the cab to determining which pin gets "hot" (12 volts) in relationship to the particular pin being read by the voltmeter. A simple 12 volt test light will also work.
In effect, both Bobcat and non-Bobcat attachments can thus be interfaced to the cab mounted Bobcat controls. These kits install to all skid steer and track type Bobcats manufactured to date.
In my case I am purchasing the dual pin-out (7 &14 receptacle) unit w/ controller/converter (Item 4 above, P/N 6727739 kit) on a new T650 so that I can use all attachments made whether Bobcat made or third party made, while still controlling the attachment with internal Bobcat cab mounted controls alone. In my case they are the premium joystick controls
Regardless of what the dealers tell you (which is mostly wrong), according to the Bobcat engineering department, this is now the system is intended to work, and the hardware offerings provided to do this job. Items 2, 3, &/or 4 takes about 40 minutes to install yourself, so I'm told.
Frankly, I would have rather of had a root canal, as to pry all this out of Bobcat. In fairness, one person Mr. Robert Osborne at Bobcat, a District Rep. was very helpful at getting to the bottom of all of this. Even he too, had to do some research and then properly explain all this to his dealers who are about as much in the dark as you and I.
The bottom line.... You must either have a Bobcat attachment mounted controller (which only comes with Bobcat attachments) and a 7 pin Bobcat attachment kit system, or you must have a 14 pin kit which includes both the cable(s) and a Bobcat (on the machine) mounted controller/converter, in order to get cab controlled 12 volt outputs to that 14 pin connector. And for about 400+ bucks you can buy both in one package ( P/N 6727739 kit) !!!
Whew !!!!!!!! No wonder people buy Case and Caterpillar, etc. No where that I can find does Bobcat explain any of this.

Tazza

Staff member
You sure did your homework.
I have heard others call the digital to 'analogue' converter refered to as bobcats black box of voodoo. Its a shame they didn't just stick with that style. Every attachment will work together, simple outputs, no direct connection to the computer to have issues between brands.

RodNH

@Bobbyboy:
Thanks for the excellent investigation. I have a S650 that has the 7 pin connector system factory installed. I am interested in custom-building one or more attachments that would make use of attachment-mounted solenoid valves actuated by the Bobcat factory switches on the steering levers (standard controls). It appears that I would need the 6733136 kit (item 3) to be able to do that. In item 4 you state that the item 4 kit "connects to itself to self-detect if one is using a 14 pin direct 12 volt solenoid control of the attachment, or the Bobcat digital controller card system on the attachment." Would I still need an item 4 kit, even though I already have the 7 pin connector system installed? Could you clarify?

skidsteer.ca

@Bobbyboy:
Thanks for the excellent investigation. I have a S650 that has the 7 pin connector system factory installed. I am interested in custom-building one or more attachments that would make use of attachment-mounted solenoid valves actuated by the Bobcat factory switches on the steering levers (standard controls). It appears that I would need the 6733136 kit (item 3) to be able to do that. In item 4 you state that the item 4 kit "connects to itself to self-detect if one is using a 14 pin direct 12 volt solenoid control of the attachment, or the Bobcat digital controller card system on the attachment." Would I still need an item 4 kit, even though I already have the 7 pin connector system installed? Could you clarify?
Rod
I'm not certain, however I believe you would still have to buy the #4 combination 7/14pin harness and you may have to remove your non combination harness to plug the new harness in.
I just tapped into the the wire harness to access the left handle switches and made my own harness with relays and run it out to a trailer plug by the hydraulic couplers on the boom. This gives me 4 momentary hots to control attachments along with a steady ground.
I intend to avoid like the plague any 7 pin bobcat attachments, as they only work on Bobcats machines. (unless you can rewire)
Where as every other manufacturer, Cat Case Deere and the hundreds of aftermarket attachment manufactures make attachments that do the exact same job with simple power or/power off controls. If the day ever comes you want to sell an attachment, it is nice to know it fits all brands, including Bobcats, where as the 7 pin attachment fit only Bobcat
Ken

RodNH

Rod
I'm not certain, however I believe you would still have to buy the #4 combination 7/14pin harness and you may have to remove your non combination harness to plug the new harness in.
I just tapped into the the wire harness to access the left handle switches and made my own harness with relays and run it out to a trailer plug by the hydraulic couplers on the boom. This gives me 4 momentary hots to control attachments along with a steady ground.
I intend to avoid like the plague any 7 pin bobcat attachments, as they only work on Bobcats machines. (unless you can rewire)
Where as every other manufacturer, Cat Case Deere and the hundreds of aftermarket attachment manufactures make attachments that do the exact same job with simple power or/power off controls. If the day ever comes you want to sell an attachment, it is nice to know it fits all brands, including Bobcats, where as the 7 pin attachment fit only Bobcat
Ken
Ken,
Thanks. You've given me a great idea. The left control handle (standard controls) on my skid has two vertical rocker switches. The one on the left is for the directional lights option which I don't have, so it's unused. The one on the right is for some attachment control that doesn't apply to any attachment I currently have so that one is also available for some other use. I think these are the two switches you are referring to, correct? I should be able to do the same as you have done and tee into the correct wires in order to be able to use these switches for any custom use that I want. That way I would not have to buy anything from Bobcat - at least that's what it seems.
The only Bobcat attachment I have that uses any attachment control is my SB200 snowblower. That uses the left vertical rocker switch on the right control handle and the central horizontal switch on the left control handle. Those functions should not be affected by my custom use of those other rocker switches. I have a Bobcat service manual with the wiring diagrams so I should be able to select the correct wiring to tee into. Finding the appropriate wires seems to be the hardest part. The relays, custom wiring harness and external weatherproof plug should be a piece of cake. Do you see anything wrong with this thinking? I'll wait until next year before attempting anything like this as the skid is only a couple of months old and under warranty.
Rod

skidsteer.ca

Ken,
Thanks. You've given me a great idea. The left control handle (standard controls) on my skid has two vertical rocker switches. The one on the left is for the directional lights option which I don't have, so it's unused. The one on the right is for some attachment control that doesn't apply to any attachment I currently have so that one is also available for some other use. I think these are the two switches you are referring to, correct? I should be able to do the same as you have done and tee into the correct wires in order to be able to use these switches for any custom use that I want. That way I would not have to buy anything from Bobcat - at least that's what it seems.
The only Bobcat attachment I have that uses any attachment control is my SB200 snowblower. That uses the left vertical rocker switch on the right control handle and the central horizontal switch on the left control handle. Those functions should not be affected by my custom use of those other rocker switches. I have a Bobcat service manual with the wiring diagrams so I should be able to select the correct wiring to tee into. Finding the appropriate wires seems to be the hardest part. The relays, custom wiring harness and external weatherproof plug should be a piece of cake. Do you see anything wrong with this thinking? I'll wait until next year before attempting anything like this as the skid is only a couple of months old and under warranty.
Rod
Rod
That is exactly what i did.
Mine has 3 thumb switches and a trigger switch, the trigger is a dual pole, pull for continuity, pull again to open the circuit.
The other are all 3 pole switches, off in the center and on to either the left of the right.
2 of these switches are momentary, the other stays where you put it. So I tied into the 2 momentary ones, each has 3 wires, a center and one for each side. I just wired these to 4 spdt relays so the switches would only see a 1/10 amp load.
I use the for up/down and left / right on my stump grinder and to control the chute rotation and deflector on my snow blower. Works great. The loader never noticed anything changed when I uplugged the harness at the bottom of the steering lever on my 773G, I going to try it this winter on my S185.
Also my Ls 160 had no left steering lever switches, so I bought the Bobcat switch for $114 and fit it to the NH as well
Ken

OP
OP
B

Bobbyboy

@Bobbyboy:
Rod....
Because the 7-pin connector uses digital data sent to the on-board controller card on Bobcat attachments, that connector is of no value to third party applications/attachments. The expensive Bobcat 14-pin connector includes a machine-side mounted controller which converts the digital data coming from the cab controls into 12 volt usable outputs for third party attachments. So, you must have this kit (receptacle and controller) to use third party attachments controlled by Bobcat controls. I would expect that the controller self-detects which receptacle is being used (7 or14).
The other alternative is to use extra third party switches or joysticks, run into the cab.
It is my understanding that there is one more Bobcat controller KIT which has both the 7-pin and 14-pin connectors (and the appropriate controller) under a separate part number. I would assume this single kit is probably made up of the two separate kit part numbers I have listed, and put in a single kit with it's own part no, for those that want both at one time.
While this is very complicated, there is actually some logic in their design. They use low voltage/amperage through the joystick contacts, they have the ability for very sophisticated feathering type of control if they so choose, and eveything is programmable. It is an advanced design even though for some applications it is an overkill.
Bob - Las Cruces, NM.

OP
OP
B

Bobbyboy

Rod....
Because the 7-pin connector uses digital data sent to the on-board controller card on Bobcat attachments, that connector is of no value to third party applications/attachments. The expensive Bobcat 14-pin connector includes a machine-side mounted controller which converts the digital data coming from the cab controls into 12 volt usable outputs for third party attachments. So, you must have this kit (receptacle and controller) to use third party attachments controlled by Bobcat controls. I would expect that the controller self-detects which receptacle is being used (7 or14).
The other alternative is to use extra third party switches or joysticks, run into the cab.
It is my understanding that there is one more Bobcat controller KIT which has both the 7-pin and 14-pin connectors (and the appropriate controller) under a separate part number. I would assume this single kit is probably made up of the two separate kit part numbers I have listed, and put in a single kit with it's own part no, for those that want both at one time.
While this is very complicated, there is actually some logic in their design. They use low voltage/amperage through the joystick contacts, they have the ability for very sophisticated feathering type of control if they so choose, and eveything is programmable. It is an advanced design even though for some applications it is an overkill.
Bob - Las Cruces, NM.
With respect to that in blue above in my last message, I forgot that I had listed that duel kit part no. as 6727739.
As of this moment, Bobcat is saying that this dual kit (6727739) does not work on Series-M machines and that the 2 other independant separate kits (as listed in my original message) must be used rather than the single kit. I find that one hard to believe, but that's what they are telling me as I am still waiting on these parts. They say the stock 7-pin kit is back ordered. I find that one hard to believe too because this is an OEM standard option part which is ordered on most new machines.
Bob - Las Cruces. NM

bremery

With respect to that in blue above in my last message, I forgot that I had listed that duel kit part no. as 6727739.
As of this moment, Bobcat is saying that this dual kit (6727739) does not work on Series-M machines and that the 2 other independant separate kits (as listed in my original message) must be used rather than the single kit. I find that one hard to believe, but that's what they are telling me as I am still waiting on these parts. They say the stock 7-pin kit is back ordered. I find that one hard to believe too because this is an OEM standard option part which is ordered on most new machines.
Bob - Las Cruces. NM
I have attached a picture of the "grand daddy" Bobcat P/N 6727739. In the picture you can see the "black box". It installs to the machine with magnets above the battery. It installed in my S175 in about 15 minutes. On radial path machines the install may take longer because the wires go through the lift arms. I just wanted to share this since this post helped me so much in determining what I needed to get.
IMAG0113.jpg

skidsteer.ca

I have attached a picture of the "grand daddy" Bobcat P/N 6727739. In the picture you can see the "black box". It installs to the machine with magnets above the battery. It installed in my S175 in about 15 minutes. On radial path machines the install may take longer because the wires go through the lift arms. I just wanted to share this since this post helped me so much in determining what I needed to get.
That is what I put on my 185, the 7 /14 pin combo kit.
But I hate it. The problem is when using the landscape rake when reversing the loader I also reverse the hydraulic flow on the rake to make the drum turn the proper direction to rake while traveling backwards.
The problem is the d*mn control kit override my selection of reverse hydraulic flow as soon as I touch the switch to angle the rake and kick the flow back into forward. Making a mess of my yard work.
It is coming off this winter and I'm building my own system as I did on my 773g by tapping into the lh steering lever switches and using relays to carry the current to the attachment. This way the switchs will see minimal load and last a long time.
Skidsteer.ca

torboschen

That is what I put on my 185, the 7 /14 pin combo kit.
But I hate it. The problem is when using the landscape rake when reversing the loader I also reverse the hydraulic flow on the rake to make the drum turn the proper direction to rake while traveling backwards.
The problem is the d*mn control kit override my selection of reverse hydraulic flow as soon as I touch the switch to angle the rake and kick the flow back into forward. Making a mess of my yard work.
It is coming off this winter and I'm building my own system as I did on my 773g by tapping into the lh steering lever switches and using relays to carry the current to the attachment. This way the switchs will see minimal load and last a long time.
Skidsteer.ca
Hi I'm posting this because I had to use a test lite to map my S185 14 pin connector so I could control my snowblower...PITA The 14 pin has a letter that IDs ea wire: LEFT STICK; UP arrow-E, DN arrow-F, PAN left-D, PAN right-O, Rt Stick; UP arrow-G, DN arrow-H "K" seems to be hot always... I may try to run lighting off it but I hope I save someone the hassles I went thru... I ended up running a separate ground wire around the 14 pin as every time I thought I'd found the ground I kicked the "Fault" idiot light on the machine and had to reboot/ restart... another PITA Your results may vary but that's what I found for my S185. TOR

Skid Steer Solutions

Hi I'm posting this because I had to use a test lite to map my S185 14 pin connector so I could control my snowblower...PITA The 14 pin has a letter that IDs ea wire: LEFT STICK; UP arrow-E, DN arrow-F, PAN left-D, PAN right-O, Rt Stick; UP arrow-G, DN arrow-H "K" seems to be hot always... I may try to run lighting off it but I hope I save someone the hassles I went thru... I ended up running a separate ground wire around the 14 pin as every time I thought I'd found the ground I kicked the "Fault" idiot light on the machine and had to reboot/ restart... another PITA Your results may vary but that's what I found for my S185. TOR
Hey guys. Have not posted in a while, but this topic is near and dear to my heart. As a manufacturer and good long term customer of Bobcat, I have been amazed at how they have developed a system to try and keep people from connecting non-Bobcat attachments to their machines. This is supposed to keep people from buying attachments, but it is in fact keeping people from buying Bobcat branded machines. The final straw was in March when I had a new A770 delivered with a 14 pin kit installed. They ran the wiring along the top of the boom. When I contacted Bobcat engineering, they said they were doing away with the 14 pin systems. I then heard from a customer with a new Toolcat who bought the machine on our suggestion, then Bobcat told him they could not use our attachments because they would not cover the warranty and they would not supply him with a 14 pin set-up. That was it! I was fed up. I have developed a Can-Bus translator that alleviated the need for the 7 pin set-up on the attachments. Just plug it into the 7 pin connector, stick it on the side of your boom and it gives you two 12 volt, 15 amp switched outputs using 2 pin Deutsch style connectors. These connectors are inexpensive, sealed, robust and easy to find should you break one. This means you are not stuck buying 7 pin connectors from Bobcat for over $100 each. Just buy our little box and do what you want. The first output works from the left stick, left and right toggle switch. The second circuit reacts to the left stick cylinder switch toggle. This should work for 99% of the attachments that are out there. This is a properly interfaced, protected circuit that will not damage your machine. I have no doubt that BC will tell you differently. I have heard it all from their dealers about my attachments so I have no doubt you will be told that this will blow up your machine, void the warranty, blah, blah blah. Just note that I have been at this for 17 years, know skid steers and my background is electronics. This was a simple circuit for me to design, but it just took BC getting me mad enough to want to take action. When it came to them jury rigging my own machine, then that was it. The retail price on this will be $295. I am selling the initial run for $249 as I am trying to boost the first run numbers in an effort to get the PCB cost down. If you mention Skid Steer Forum when you order, I will give you another $10 off. The hardest part has been getting the 7-pin connectors made. Otherwise I would be paying over $100 per connector which is a joke. In the future I will have the connectors in stock. Check out out ingenius plug and play anti theft device for Bobcats as well.

mrduramax

Hey guys. Have not posted in a while, but this topic is near and dear to my heart. As a manufacturer and good long term customer of Bobcat, I have been amazed at how they have developed a system to try and keep people from connecting non-Bobcat attachments to their machines. This is supposed to keep people from buying attachments, but it is in fact keeping people from buying Bobcat branded machines. The final straw was in March when I had a new A770 delivered with a 14 pin kit installed. They ran the wiring along the top of the boom. When I contacted Bobcat engineering, they said they were doing away with the 14 pin systems. I then heard from a customer with a new Toolcat who bought the machine on our suggestion, then Bobcat told him they could not use our attachments because they would not cover the warranty and they would not supply him with a 14 pin set-up. That was it! I was fed up. I have developed a Can-Bus translator that alleviated the need for the 7 pin set-up on the attachments. Just plug it into the 7 pin connector, stick it on the side of your boom and it gives you two 12 volt, 15 amp switched outputs using 2 pin Deutsch style connectors. These connectors are inexpensive, sealed, robust and easy to find should you break one. This means you are not stuck buying 7 pin connectors from Bobcat for over $100 each. Just buy our little box and do what you want. The first output works from the left stick, left and right toggle switch. The second circuit reacts to the left stick cylinder switch toggle. This should work for 99% of the attachments that are out there. This is a properly interfaced, protected circuit that will not damage your machine. I have no doubt that BC will tell you differently. I have heard it all from their dealers about my attachments so I have no doubt you will be told that this will blow up your machine, void the warranty, blah, blah blah. Just note that I have been at this for 17 years, know skid steers and my background is electronics. This was a simple circuit for me to design, but it just took BC getting me mad enough to want to take action. When it came to them jury rigging my own machine, then that was it. The retail price on this will be $295. I am selling the initial run for $249 as I am trying to boost the first run numbers in an effort to get the PCB cost down. If you mention Skid Steer Forum when you order, I will give you another $10 off. The hardest part has been getting the 7-pin connectors made. Otherwise I would be paying over $100 per connector which is a joke. In the future I will have the connectors in stock. Check out out ingenius plug and play anti theft device for Bobcats as well.
I want one of those

Skid Steer Solutions

I want one of those
Well. It has been three years since that original post. We are now the place to come to for everything you need to bypass your Bobcat 7 pin on your machine and to bypass the computer on your attachment. We have a 2 output CanBus for most applications and a 4 output CanBus for snow blower and soil conditions and anything else that uses 4 solenoids. The 4 output has programmable outputs so you can have 4 switched outputs or 2 bi-directional outputs for running linear actuators. We are testing a single output version with the electronics buried in the connector. We have harnesses that allow you to remove the computer on your attachment and just plug directly into the solenoids with either a 14 pin or 8 pin connector for most any machine. The only machines that are bad are the new Kubota's because they only have 2 switched outputs. That knocks out using a snow blower from your sticks. You would need a separate control box. Our new site is up and I am going to start posting a video log answering all of these types of questions in depth so have a look as there will be a lot of information available.

catrider

Well. It has been three years since that original post. We are now the place to come to for everything you need to bypass your Bobcat 7 pin on your machine and to bypass the computer on your attachment. We have a 2 output CanBus for most applications and a 4 output CanBus for snow blower and soil conditions and anything else that uses 4 solenoids. The 4 output has programmable outputs so you can have 4 switched outputs or 2 bi-directional outputs for running linear actuators. We are testing a single output version with the electronics buried in the connector. We have harnesses that allow you to remove the computer on your attachment and just plug directly into the solenoids with either a 14 pin or 8 pin connector for most any machine. The only machines that are bad are the new Kubota's because they only have 2 switched outputs. That knocks out using a snow blower from your sticks. You would need a separate control box. Our new site is up and I am going to start posting a video log answering all of these types of questions in depth so have a look as there will be a lot of information available.
hello, what is your new site, and how can get can bus. Thanks

CKerk

I recently purchased a T-200 with a damaged 7 pin connector. Purchased the connector from Bobcat and when reassembling I found that the wire number to pin directions included in the package do not match the wire numbers on my BC. I have the 7 and 14 pin connectors with a 7 or 14 switch. Can anyone supply me with the wire number to pin number for the 7 pin connector? I only need pins A, B, C, and D wire numbers as the other pins were correct. Thanks in advance!

Skid Steer Solutions

I recently purchased a T-200 with a damaged 7 pin connector. Purchased the connector from Bobcat and when reassembling I found that the wire number to pin directions included in the package do not match the wire numbers on my BC. I have the 7 and 14 pin connectors with a 7 or 14 switch. Can anyone supply me with the wire number to pin number for the 7 pin connector? I only need pins A, B, C, and D wire numbers as the other pins were correct. Thanks in advance!
Here is the pin-out. Please note that we stock all of the pins and connectors for these projects. 1 - Orange - +12Volt Switched 2 - Red - +12Volts always on 3 - Black - Ground A - White - Can High B - Blue - Can Low C - Green - Not used D - Yellow - Not Used Hope this helps.

dvalin