Bobcat blows up and burns?????????

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

johnrembo

Ok here is the sad story, lent my 643 bobcat to a friend. When i dropped it off i told him it needed gas. About an hour later i get a call from him that there was an explosion behind the seat and the machine was burning, fire department on its way,,,,, My question is this, IF SOMEONE ACCIDENTLY PUT GASOLINE INTO THE HYDROLIC FLUID WOULD/COULD THIS CAUSE IT TO EXPLODE????????????????

mrfixitpaul

Sorry to hear about the tragedy. 643 should be diesel?? Your friend maybe spilled gas and got into the engine area?? I have found gasoline in hydraulic tank several times on different machines, the customer never knew who put it there or how long it was there, I was there to do PM service. Never caused any problems on the machines.

Tazza

Staff member
Sorry to hear about the tragedy. 643 should be diesel?? Your friend maybe spilled gas and got into the engine area?? I have found gasoline in hydraulic tank several times on different machines, the customer never knew who put it there or how long it was there, I was there to do PM service. Never caused any problems on the machines.
Agreed, petrol in the oil won't explode. Allow it to drip on a hot exhaust manifold and it could very well catch fire. Even the heat from the engine could cause the fuel to boil giving vapor and all it takes is a match or cigarette and POOF its up and burning.