Bobcat axle bearings

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jjb16033

Does anyone know if you can cross reference a bobcat bearing part # 1321608 to a timkin, national, etc. And a bobcat axle seal part # 6658229. Thanks

OldMachinist

Once you have the axle out any bearing supply house should be able to match them up. Other than that you'll have to tell us what machine your working on and if someone has replaced theirs they might know the numbers. I have the Timken bearing and National oil seal catalogs. If you can post the dimensions I'll look in my catalogs for the numbers.

OldMachinist

Once you have the axle out any bearing supply house should be able to match them up. Other than that you'll have to tell us what machine your working on and if someone has replaced theirs they might know the numbers. I have the Timken bearing and National oil seal catalogs. If you can post the dimensions I'll look in my catalogs for the numbers.
I uploaded the catalogs for all to download and use here.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/yn1myzgy0dy/timkenRollerBearings.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/file/vmi0antqmyr/TimkenSeals.pdf

Tazza

Staff member
You da Man Old
Ken
For the price of the seal, get it off your dealer. The difference was a few bucks over here. The bearings, sure get them from your local bearing guy, they are much cheaper and you get the exact same quality.
Depending on the machine, axle seals are a pig to replace on the earlier one piece axle machines. You don't want to change the seals again.
Your call though.

OP
OP
jjb16033

jjb16033

For the price of the seal, get it off your dealer. The difference was a few bucks over here. The bearings, sure get them from your local bearing guy, they are much cheaper and you get the exact same quality.
Depending on the machine, axle seals are a pig to replace on the earlier one piece axle machines. You don't want to change the seals again.
Your call though.
Well i got the bearings out and they are timken bearings. So i went to bobcat and just for one bearing and cup is $105.00 and i need eight. So i came across a timken bearing on ebay with the same number and it also had a caterpillar part #. So i called caterpillar and they said they have the same timken bearing with part# the same as mine for $50.00(bearing and cup) so is bobcat just trying to rip people off or what. But i did have to get the axle seals from bobcat and they were $9.00 So i'm going to start putting it back together. Thanks for all the info. guys.

skidsteer.ca

Well i got the bearings out and they are timken bearings. So i went to bobcat and just for one bearing and cup is $105.00 and i need eight. So i came across a timken bearing on ebay with the same number and it also had a caterpillar part #. So i called caterpillar and they said they have the same timken bearing with part# the same as mine for $50.00(bearing and cup) so is bobcat just trying to rip people off or what. But i did have to get the axle seals from bobcat and they were $9.00 So i'm going to start putting it back together. Thanks for all the info. guys.
Bobcat does not have a msrp or retail price. They allow their "dealers the feedom to set their own pricing" So depending on the dealer prices vary.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Bobcat does not have a msrp or retail price. They allow their "dealers the feedom to set their own pricing" So depending on the dealer prices vary.
Ken
Bearing cups and cones i paid around $25 for, but i'm not 100% on that. They were a quality brand, NTN i believe. I have a feeling i replaced ALL the bearings, including the motor carrier for about $400 so thats 12 cups and 12 cones. As i had the machine pulled down so far, i changed the lot so they wouldn't be a problem again. I buy my bearings locally, but i get the seals from the dealer, i don't want the rotten things to leak.

TriHonu

Bearing cups and cones i paid around $25 for, but i'm not 100% on that. They were a quality brand, NTN i believe. I have a feeling i replaced ALL the bearings, including the motor carrier for about $400 so thats 12 cups and 12 cones. As i had the machine pulled down so far, i changed the lot so they wouldn't be a problem again. I buy my bearings locally, but i get the seals from the dealer, i don't want the rotten things to leak.
Check your axle shafts. I helped a friend a month back to pull a hub to replace the seal.
The shaft was grooved and the shaft had play where you could pull it straight out and push it in about 1/16 inch.
We ended up getting a speedy sleeve to fix the groove. Bobcat also sold us a "special washer" that replaces the one on the chain-case end of the axle shaft to remove the end play. It is a machined piece with recessed sides. The two sides are different to give you two different amounts of correction depending upon how much end play you have. The washer was about $50 USD. If you have a lathe you could easily make one. Our parts guy told us that the end play will take out the bearings if you don't fix it.
If the washer won't fix it you have to replace the axle shaft and bearings.
emotion-6.gif

OP
OP
jjb16033

jjb16033

Check your axle shafts. I helped a friend a month back to pull a hub to replace the seal.
The shaft was grooved and the shaft had play where you could pull it straight out and push it in about 1/16 inch.
We ended up getting a speedy sleeve to fix the groove. Bobcat also sold us a "special washer" that replaces the one on the chain-case end of the axle shaft to remove the end play. It is a machined piece with recessed sides. The two sides are different to give you two different amounts of correction depending upon how much end play you have. The washer was about $50 USD. If you have a lathe you could easily make one. Our parts guy told us that the end play will take out the bearings if you don't fix it.
I got the front axles back in and there is no end play. I have the one piece axles in my bobcat 843B. Thanks

OP
OP
jjb16033

jjb16033

What model do your friend have. Thanks

OP
OP
jjb16033

jjb16033

I checked the website out and they do not have the bearings i'm looking for. Thanks for the info. will use it in the future.
Finally got it back together and runs and steers like a new one. Also put two new u-joints in the shaft from the engine to pumps, thats what was causing the vibration. Drove it around for a while and checked for leaks and end play in the axles and there is no end play and no leaks. I'm glad its together again.

Tazza

Staff member
Finally got it back together and runs and steers like a new one. Also put two new u-joints in the shaft from the engine to pumps, thats what was causing the vibration. Drove it around for a while and checked for leaks and end play in the axles and there is no end play and no leaks. I'm glad its together again.
Glad you got it sorted. Its much easier with two people!

j-jock

Latest posts