Bobcat 873

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Fishfreak36

Need some advice about replacing the fuel pick up tube and line. Most important where to find the line going into the tank. I think I'm sucking some air. The only way I can get it running is if it's totally full of fuel. Thanks in advance guys.

mmsllc

I think that the fuel pick up tube is hidden underneath of the hydraulic pumps. On the 863's that I've replaced in the past, I had to remove the right rear tire (optional) & the small inspection cover that bolts in place with two bolts. After doing that, you can lay a light inside to better trace the fuel supply hose to a right-angled fitting. Find the squeeze bulb on the fuel lines just inside the rear engine door. Follow that forward to where you should find that fitting. What I did was simply cut that hose free from that fitting, then sprayed some lube on the fitting & on the grommet that it passes through. Then clamped that fitting tight as hell with vice grips. Twist & pull it straight up. Replace the draw tube & reassemble.

OP
OP
F

Fishfreak36

I think that the fuel pick up tube is hidden underneath of the hydraulic pumps. On the 863's that I've replaced in the past, I had to remove the right rear tire (optional) & the small inspection cover that bolts in place with two bolts. After doing that, you can lay a light inside to better trace the fuel supply hose to a right-angled fitting. Find the squeeze bulb on the fuel lines just inside the rear engine door. Follow that forward to where you should find that fitting. What I did was simply cut that hose free from that fitting, then sprayed some lube on the fitting & on the grommet that it passes through. Then clamped that fitting tight as hell with vice grips. Twist & pull it straight up. Replace the draw tube & reassemble.
Thanks man, I'll check er out. I really want to do this myself, hate to have to bring it in somewhere.

bobbie-g

Thanks man, I'll check er out. I really want to do this myself, hate to have to bring it in somewhere.
Fishfreak, I've done this myself, not too hard. mmslic has it right as I remember. Right rear tire comes off, small inspection plate comes off, pop up the cab and put light so you can see what you're doing. There are two right angle fittings that come out of the tank. Again, mmslic is right about finding the primer bulb under engine just inside rear door. Tug on that line to see which tank fitting is the correct one. The other is the return line from the injector surplus fuel ports. I always buy a new grommet (fits into tank) before I start the process. Same for a new pickup tube. I just clean the filter (on the end of the pickup tube) with carb cleaner and reinstall. There are also some tiny clips you can put on the line where it connects to the filter and to the right-angle fitting, but the pickup tube is snug enough you probably don't need them. And while yer at it, just replace the fuel line from the right angle fitting out to the primer bulb. Easy to do at this point, and you don't want it to crack from old age, then leak diesel out or air in. :) ---Bobbie G

mmsllc

Fishfreak, I've done this myself, not too hard. mmslic has it right as I remember. Right rear tire comes off, small inspection plate comes off, pop up the cab and put light so you can see what you're doing. There are two right angle fittings that come out of the tank. Again, mmslic is right about finding the primer bulb under engine just inside rear door. Tug on that line to see which tank fitting is the correct one. The other is the return line from the injector surplus fuel ports. I always buy a new grommet (fits into tank) before I start the process. Same for a new pickup tube. I just clean the filter (on the end of the pickup tube) with carb cleaner and reinstall. There are also some tiny clips you can put on the line where it connects to the filter and to the right-angle fitting, but the pickup tube is snug enough you probably don't need them. And while yer at it, just replace the fuel line from the right angle fitting out to the primer bulb. Easy to do at this point, and you don't want it to crack from old age, then leak diesel out or air in. :) ---Bobbie G
I forgot to mention that BOBCAT offers a new draw tube repair kit; most likely in stock. The metal 'check valve' on the end of the draw tube may not be easily retrieved from the fuel tank if the draw tube has been broken in half = please do not ask me how I know that little factoid. It would also be a good idea to replace the squeeze bulb if yours is rock hard, like so many commonly are. The squeeze bulb that I over paid for last time at BOBCAT was a "SIERRA" brand part. They are a marine repair parts vendor. So, save yourself some money & buy directly off line somewhere versus paying outrageous BOBCAT parts cost. Replacing the draw tube fuel line & maybe all fuel lines is a great idea as the fuel system will most likely be completely empty. As a final note, I like to add an inline ($5) metal fuel filter right before the squeeze bulb. The idea of adding that filter is to cheaply protect the new squeeze bulb & the more far more expensive fuel transfer / lifter pump from damage from foreign debris getting into it. I really hope this helps ease the common frustration of working on your own machine. Try to stay patient, if you find yourself getting frustrated.

OP
OP
F

Fishfreak36

I forgot to mention that BOBCAT offers a new draw tube repair kit; most likely in stock. The metal 'check valve' on the end of the draw tube may not be easily retrieved from the fuel tank if the draw tube has been broken in half = please do not ask me how I know that little factoid. It would also be a good idea to replace the squeeze bulb if yours is rock hard, like so many commonly are. The squeeze bulb that I over paid for last time at BOBCAT was a "SIERRA" brand part. They are a marine repair parts vendor. So, save yourself some money & buy directly off line somewhere versus paying outrageous BOBCAT parts cost. Replacing the draw tube fuel line & maybe all fuel lines is a great idea as the fuel system will most likely be completely empty. As a final note, I like to add an inline ($5) metal fuel filter right before the squeeze bulb. The idea of adding that filter is to cheaply protect the new squeeze bulb & the more far more expensive fuel transfer / lifter pump from damage from foreign debris getting into it. I really hope this helps ease the common frustration of working on your own machine. Try to stay patient, if you find yourself getting frustrated.
Great info guys thanks a ton. I looked at it yesterday and the fitting coming out of the tank is directly under the hydro pump. Almost no clearance between them. It's all I can do to reach the fitting much less see it and replace the parts. Any ideas?

SkidRoe

Great info guys thanks a ton. I looked at it yesterday and the fitting coming out of the tank is directly under the hydro pump. Almost no clearance between them. It's all I can do to reach the fitting much less see it and replace the parts. Any ideas?
Maybe a possibility, along with a prybar??

HTH - SR

bobbie-g

Fish... It's been a couple of years since I did this, and I must say I'm no expert, I've only done mine. First, I have to wrap my head around the idea that for me with the Bobcat, many things can just barely be done because of tight fits and lack of room/visibility. I talked to some Bobcat techs and read this forum before I tried it, and it seemed to go OK for me. I have a 1999 863G, maybe yours is different. Yes, the fittings are right below the hydraulic pump, but it was still accessible enough. I might have used a very small screwdriver-sized pry bar to get the fitting and then the rubber grommet out (careful of the tank, it's only plastic), I don't remember. I do remember that the elbow fitting was not as tight in the grommet as I wanted, and the grommet was not as tight in the tank hole as I wanted. Never could figure out how to tighten 'em up, so when the tank's full, it does seep a bit of diesel there. Tnx to mmslic's post -- I forgot that the filter had a check valve. Also, when my pickup tube broke off, the machine of course was on a slope and just died abruptly. Fortunately, the filler line was on the uphill side. I filled it with diesel clear up into the fill tube and it started and ran fine. So I managed to drive it to my shop by shutting it off every few hundred yards and adding a cup of diesel to keep the level up near the fill cap. Last tip: connect the new fuel line to the elbow fitting before you reinstall the fitting. Otherwise it's nearly impossible to put a clamp on that line. As mmslic said, don't ask me how I know this.... Best of luck, and think positive. Once you get this done, you'll have bragging rights.... :) ---Bobbie G

7LBSSMALLIE

Fish... It's been a couple of years since I did this, and I must say I'm no expert, I've only done mine. First, I have to wrap my head around the idea that for me with the Bobcat, many things can just barely be done because of tight fits and lack of room/visibility. I talked to some Bobcat techs and read this forum before I tried it, and it seemed to go OK for me. I have a 1999 863G, maybe yours is different. Yes, the fittings are right below the hydraulic pump, but it was still accessible enough. I might have used a very small screwdriver-sized pry bar to get the fitting and then the rubber grommet out (careful of the tank, it's only plastic), I don't remember. I do remember that the elbow fitting was not as tight in the grommet as I wanted, and the grommet was not as tight in the tank hole as I wanted. Never could figure out how to tighten 'em up, so when the tank's full, it does seep a bit of diesel there. Tnx to mmslic's post -- I forgot that the filter had a check valve. Also, when my pickup tube broke off, the machine of course was on a slope and just died abruptly. Fortunately, the filler line was on the uphill side. I filled it with diesel clear up into the fill tube and it started and ran fine. So I managed to drive it to my shop by shutting it off every few hundred yards and adding a cup of diesel to keep the level up near the fill cap. Last tip: connect the new fuel line to the elbow fitting before you reinstall the fitting. Otherwise it's nearly impossible to put a clamp on that line. As mmslic said, don't ask me how I know this.... Best of luck, and think positive. Once you get this done, you'll have bragging rights.... :) ---Bobbie G
I use a long door trim removal tool for extraction. and prybar for install. but have never laid eyes on that pair of vise grips till about 30 seconds ago. yea gotta have a pair. who makes and where to find?

7LBSSMALLIE

I use a long door trim removal tool for extraction. and prybar for install. but have never laid eyes on that pair of vise grips till about 30 seconds ago. yea gotta have a pair. who makes and where to find?

mmsllc

They are a pain in the @ss, but spraying them with penetrating oil & prying up on the fitting. Soak the rubber grommet really good. It won't be really easy, but a new grommet might make it a tad easier. Take your time to do it right & before you know it will be done forever. BTW, I like those very long vice-grips!!

OP
OP
F

Fishfreak36

They are a pain in the @ss, but spraying them with penetrating oil & prying up on the fitting. Soak the rubber grommet really good. It won't be really easy, but a new grommet might make it a tad easier. Take your time to do it right & before you know it will be done forever. BTW, I like those very long vice-grips!!
I'll have to try it tomorrow. The ford diesel decided it needed a water pump today. Got er done. The Cat tomorrow!

sstec

@ 7LBSSMALLIE:
http://www.amazon.com/Triplett-LongLockers-Extended-Locking-Cushioned/dp/B004TMF5N2
HTH - SR
Did mine back in Jan. 873 F. Did not remove tire, good light and determination. Remove side cove, you can reach in from there. Regular vise grip, clamp on 90 degree block and wiggle back and forth, round and round while pulling up. The grommet will be hardened in shape, pry a little with a wonder bar. You will get it out. Buy new line, screen and grommet, also replace line under motor to fuel prime and pump. if problem is still there, install a clear vinly line to fuel pump and run the motor. If you see bubbles, you still are getting air. Mine was an issue with collapsing line, use diesel rated fuel line. sstec

mmsllc

Did mine back in Jan. 873 F. Did not remove tire, good light and determination. Remove side cove, you can reach in from there. Regular vise grip, clamp on 90 degree block and wiggle back and forth, round and round while pulling up. The grommet will be hardened in shape, pry a little with a wonder bar. You will get it out. Buy new line, screen and grommet, also replace line under motor to fuel prime and pump. if problem is still there, install a clear vinly line to fuel pump and run the motor. If you see bubbles, you still are getting air. Mine was an issue with collapsing line, use diesel rated fuel line. sstec
I think they are all harder to do on the 853/863/873 machines. The smaller machines (753/763/773) just seem to have the pickup tube located in front of the hydraulic pumps. I would only use BOBCAT parts on this repair, as they are so important to good machine operation. If I had thought about the grommet becoming hard as the rubber degrades, I would have replaced them too while doing the pick up tube.