Bobcat 873

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

SkidRoe

BICS - most likely the seat bar or seat switch (if fitted). Check that and report back.

OP
OP
L

Lcasillas

I checked the seat bar and when I press the green button is doesn't make the clicking sound that it usually does.

Jarwop

The disc brake is what makes the loud clunk or click sound when the BICS disengages it. The disc brake solenoid is on the chain case and when not entergised by the BICS it allows spring pressure to push a steel guide bar to slide into a notch of the brake (disc) which locks the drive chains and prevents the machine from moving. The solenoid can be temporiarly pulled by removing two bolts holding the solenoid assembly to the chain case cover which will free the chains. I find it easy enough to lift the cab and pull the disc brake to troubleshoot. The solenoid is on the chain case directly center and has three wires creating a pull in circut that is pulsed one time when the bar is lowered, and a holding circuit that holds the brake free, once released by the pull in circuit , until the BICS determines the Disc Brake needs to secure the machine.

I take the green button you mentioned is the traction override button on the lower edge if the left hand instrument panel. This should override the BICS and entergise the disc brake solinoid (releasing the brake) even if there are safety devices (seat switch, bar switch, foot switch) preventing the BICS from releasing the brake. If you usually press this to release the disc brake, you could consider investing time to determine the root cause why the disk brake isn't getting released automatically. You shouldn't have to press the override button to normally operate the machine.

Yes the BICS lights are important to troubleshoot the issue, but I find it impossible to read the lights while in the seat. Thus, pulling the brake solonid should allow the movement of the maching out of the work zone to a good, safe, place to allow further troubleshooting.

The machine should not be operated without the disc brake working correctly as that is a major safety device.

OP
OP
L

Lcasillas

The disc brake is what makes the loud clunk or click sound when the BICS disengages it. The disc brake solenoid is on the chain case and when not entergised by the BICS it allows spring pressure to push a steel guide bar to slide into a notch of the brake (disc) which locks the drive chains and prevents the machine from moving. The solenoid can be temporiarly pulled by removing two bolts holding the solenoid assembly to the chain case cover which will free the chains. I find it easy enough to lift the cab and pull the disc brake to troubleshoot. The solenoid is on the chain case directly center and has three wires creating a pull in circut that is pulsed one time when the bar is lowered, and a holding circuit that holds the brake free, once released by the pull in circuit , until the BICS determines the Disc Brake needs to secure the machine.

I take the green button you mentioned is the traction override button on the lower edge if the left hand instrument panel. This should override the BICS and entergise the disc brake solinoid (releasing the brake) even if there are safety devices (seat switch, bar switch, foot switch) preventing the BICS from releasing the brake. If you usually press this to release the disc brake, you could consider investing time to determine the root cause why the disk brake isn't getting released automatically. You shouldn't have to press the override button to normally operate the machine.

Yes the BICS lights are important to troubleshoot the issue, but I find it impossible to read the lights while in the seat. Thus, pulling the brake solonid should allow the movement of the maching out of the work zone to a good, safe, place to allow further troubleshooting.

The machine should not be operated without the disc brake working correctly as that is a major safety device.
Thanks I will check that.

Latest posts