bobcat 873 will not move

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mips4000

Hello everyone. Hoping someone can help me. have a 2000 Bobcat 873G that won't move when the hydraulics are turned on. The lift arms will go up and down and the drive gears will move back and forth, but the brake pins will not disengage. I checked the fluid in the reservoir and chain case. Both are fine. I tried different combinations of lifting the arm, overriding the traction control and back down. Brake on and off. I can't get the brake pins to disengage. any thoughts or advice from anyone? Can I bypass or force the pins? Are they pins or are they relief valves? I must be honest in saying i don't fully understand the hydraulic system. I have the service manual, but there's quite a bit to these machines. My next and only option is to pay the $250 call out fee which i really don't want to do. If I can get it to roll, I can get it up on the trailer and take it in. thanks.

Tazza

Staff member
I'm sure Ken will pop his nose in, he knows his late model machines. You can by-pass the park brake, but i'm not sure how. I remember hearing that the solenoids do go bad and you can use a hose clamp to disable it so you can at least move the machine.

Fishfiles

Remove the brake soliniod by unscrewing two 1/4 " bolts , then remove the part that the solinoid bolts to by removing two 3/8 " bolts , pull the wedge and spring assemble out then reassemble the mount and solinoid -------------did you try the brake relay

OP
OP
M

mips4000

Remove the brake soliniod by unscrewing two 1/4 " bolts , then remove the part that the solinoid bolts to by removing two 3/8 " bolts , pull the wedge and spring assemble out then reassemble the mount and solinoid -------------did you try the brake relay
you rock. thank you. your description led me down a path to find what i was looking for. when i took the solenoid off and then the cover under the solenoid, I pulled the brake guide assembly. what i found was a worn washer and bolt on that passed through the guide. The spring was pushed through the worn hole of the washer and was frozen in the compressed position. The guide is actually worn also a bit on the top where it goes in between the gears as the mechanical brake. I pulled the whole assembly and put the solenoid back in place and i could now move the bobcat to get it out of the way. The solenoid looks terrible, but works. I'm going to take them all into the bobcat dealer to have them take a look. Realistically, i could just replace the washer and bolt and be fine, but i like to do things right so i might replace all of them depending on the costs. Thanks a million for the help.

Fishfiles

you rock. thank you. your description led me down a path to find what i was looking for. when i took the solenoid off and then the cover under the solenoid, I pulled the brake guide assembly. what i found was a worn washer and bolt on that passed through the guide. The spring was pushed through the worn hole of the washer and was frozen in the compressed position. The guide is actually worn also a bit on the top where it goes in between the gears as the mechanical brake. I pulled the whole assembly and put the solenoid back in place and i could now move the bobcat to get it out of the way. The solenoid looks terrible, but works. I'm going to take them all into the bobcat dealer to have them take a look. Realistically, i could just replace the washer and bolt and be fine, but i like to do things right so i might replace all of them depending on the costs. Thanks a million for the help.
Good deal , I would hook the brake back up for safety purposes , as they will sometimes go haywire sometimes when the steering gets worn or out of adjustment ----- on a brake lock up removing the wedge is the quickest way most sure fire way to get the machine out the way or to a place to have it worked on ---- your lucky that the bolt that goes thru the wedge never sheered off and all the pieces of the assembly fell down into the chain case , seen that happen a few times , the wedge can find it's way under the sprocket and chain and cause it to lock up

STAK

I have a bobcat 175 and I am experiencing the same problem. The owners manual is of little help. Where is the brake solenoid located? where is the brake relay located? Can anybody help me before my bobcat is completely covered with snow?