Bobcat 873 smokes and stinks like burning used oil

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Fefanatic

Hi, we have a 873 that is smoking and stinks like you would pour used oil in a pan and light it off. We were told the turbo was bad so we sent it out for a new turbo. It came back still stinking but the engine did have more power. We called Bobcat and was told it most likely was a clogged fuel filter or fuel pump. I changed both filters (one inline on the tank side of pump and the other cartridge on the output side). I also checked the pickup tube and it is clear. We have a bulb inline to pump the fuel into the system and it seems to be working OK as it does pump up and gets hard. After bleeding the fuel filter assembly and getting it running it still smokes and smells. I pumped the bulb while engine is running and there is no change. Where should I be looking next? We do have to keep an eye on engine oil as it does use some. It has 930 hours on a reman engine. The whole unit has 4k hours on it. Any help appreciated.

flyerdan

If it's not leaking, it has to be burning the oil, which would either be because of oil control rings being carboned up or bad valve stem seals. It could also be ingesting it through a bad seal on the turbo, that would be easy to check as the intake piping from the turbo to the intake would be oily.
The other two are a bit harder to check without tearing the engine down. Probably the easiest to check would be the valve seals, they can be examined by removing the cover. If they are brittle and cracked they might be able to be replaced without pulling the head, some engines can be done with the right tools and equipment.
There is no easy way to tell if it's piston rings, it might be worth trying the Marvel oil and Seafoam in the oil to see if they will free up, that won't hurt anything.

Hopefully someone will be along with some better suggestions that has dealt with this before, 930 smoh is pretty low time to be having issues like this.

OP
OP
F

Fefanatic

If it's not leaking, it has to be burning the oil, which would either be because of oil control rings being carboned up or bad valve stem seals. It could also be ingesting it through a bad seal on the turbo, that would be easy to check as the intake piping from the turbo to the intake would be oily.
The other two are a bit harder to check without tearing the engine down. Probably the easiest to check would be the valve seals, they can be examined by removing the cover. If they are brittle and cracked they might be able to be replaced without pulling the head, some engines can be done with the right tools and equipment.
There is no easy way to tell if it's piston rings, it might be worth trying the Marvel oil and Seafoam in the oil to see if they will free up, that won't hurt anything.

Hopefully someone will be along with some better suggestions that has dealt with this before, 930 smoh is pretty low time to be having issues like this.
I should add that it is black sooty smoke. Not wet oil smoke.

sstec

I should add that it is black sooty smoke. Not wet oil smoke.
Timing belt jump a tooth? When I bought mine it smoked a little and used more fuel. Changed it once by the bobcat book, then again by the Deutz book and solved my issues. sstec

7LBSSMALLIE

Timing belt jump a tooth? When I bought mine it smoked a little and used more fuel. Changed it once by the bobcat book, then again by the Deutz book and solved my issues. sstec
really a smokey deutz the bullet proof eng. don't over complicate. the five minute check. pull air clener hose feel of the turbo. (any side to side) pull lift pump screen .is it clogged, (alllen head screw fuel lines run to it) round two inch in dia. did it jump time due to bad belt which has ? a service interval. of ?

7LBSSMALLIE

really a smokey deutz the bullet proof eng. don't over complicate. the five minute check. pull air clener hose feel of the turbo. (any side to side) pull lift pump screen .is it clogged, (alllen head screw fuel lines run to it) round two inch in dia. did it jump time due to bad belt which has ? a service interval. of ?
everthing else aside. yank the head send to head dude. wait on resuts. more than likely. he will deck it lap the valves you put timing belt on. and youre back in business. BLOWN HEAD GASKET IS ISSUE. and its not ucommon .hi compression german engired eng prior to EPA standards. one might say the rock star of add fuel and run.

7LBSSMALLIE

everthing else aside. yank the head send to head dude. wait on resuts. more than likely. he will deck it lap the valves you put timing belt on. and youre back in business. BLOWN HEAD GASKET IS ISSUE. and its not ucommon .hi compression german engired eng prior to EPA standards. one might say the rock star of add fuel and run.
if you are intresed in this there were some coneccions made. the first deutz had a pcv located in upright left hand main frame. alumina box with hoses. than a change on valve cover. all trying to meet epa standards. not by choice but by mandate. our biggest complaint when they first came out was (she;s got power but she is thirsty) 30 galls a day .that was a big deal.. now we are at 28 gall tanks with def.

spitzair

if you are intresed in this there were some coneccions made. the first deutz had a pcv located in upright left hand main frame. alumina box with hoses. than a change on valve cover. all trying to meet epa standards. not by choice but by mandate. our biggest complaint when they first came out was (she;s got power but she is thirsty) 30 galls a day .that was a big deal.. now we are at 28 gall tanks with def.
We had the same issue years ago, apparently it was a common issue. The head gasket went south and allowed oil to enter the cylinders. Smoked like crazy and used oil just like you are describing. Deutz used 3 different styles of head gasket on these engines, you have to make sure you get the correct one, if I remember right there are either one, two or no notches in the side of the gasket somewhere but I can't remember exactly where, but this was how you tell the different head gaskets apart. We just ordered all 3 and sent the 2 wrong ones back. Once the head was off it was easy to tell which gasket it was. Hope this helps.

7LBSSMALLIE

We had the same issue years ago, apparently it was a common issue. The head gasket went south and allowed oil to enter the cylinders. Smoked like crazy and used oil just like you are describing. Deutz used 3 different styles of head gasket on these engines, you have to make sure you get the correct one, if I remember right there are either one, two or no notches in the side of the gasket somewhere but I can't remember exactly where, but this was how you tell the different head gaskets apart. We just ordered all 3 and sent the 2 wrong ones back. Once the head was off it was easy to tell which gasket it was. Hope this helps.
fefnatic never replied to as issue solved. kinda sore spot with me, if im gonna put my free time. ETC.?

1stbobcat

fefnatic never replied to as issue solved. kinda sore spot with me, if im gonna put my free time. ETC.?
Ok newby here and 1st time Bobcat Owner. Picked up an 873 that was poorly maintained as I'm finding out as I go. Trying to get her back up to speed. Deutz BF4M1011F and needing a new Turbo. Bobcat want $2175 for new one, $1593 for Reman. I opted for the Reman (carries same warranty as new I believe) but I'm seeing them for sale online for like $295 and $399 from Usedbobcatparts says they are NEW. I realize they will be aftermarket, but not sure if they're made in China or what. But as a former Case/New Holland Supply Chain man we got a lot of our parts from China and to be honest, the Radiators that we bought from Chinese Supplier were 100% better than the the ones we bought from Adams Thermal Systems in North Dakota. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these aftermarket Turbos that are selling on ebay? All the feedback that I saw on the Turbos from buyers said good quality parts and perfect, thanks a lot etc. All positive feedback. Now I don't know if they still felt that way after running that turbo for a year or two but I will only be using my machine to clear some trees around my home here in KS to get it ready to sell and then I'll be clearing 2.5 acres for my new home in Oklahoma and after that it will only be used sporadically. I told them to go ahead at Whitestar Machinery our local bobcat dealer in Wichita with the Reman'd Turbo, but now I'm seriously thinking that maybe I should call and cancel and have them install and aftermarket one???? Is it really worth the extra $1000-1200 to go with the Bobcat part?

spitzair

Ok newby here and 1st time Bobcat Owner. Picked up an 873 that was poorly maintained as I'm finding out as I go. Trying to get her back up to speed. Deutz BF4M1011F and needing a new Turbo. Bobcat want $2175 for new one, $1593 for Reman. I opted for the Reman (carries same warranty as new I believe) but I'm seeing them for sale online for like $295 and $399 from Usedbobcatparts says they are NEW. I realize they will be aftermarket, but not sure if they're made in China or what. But as a former Case/New Holland Supply Chain man we got a lot of our parts from China and to be honest, the Radiators that we bought from Chinese Supplier were 100% better than the the ones we bought from Adams Thermal Systems in North Dakota. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these aftermarket Turbos that are selling on ebay? All the feedback that I saw on the Turbos from buyers said good quality parts and perfect, thanks a lot etc. All positive feedback. Now I don't know if they still felt that way after running that turbo for a year or two but I will only be using my machine to clear some trees around my home here in KS to get it ready to sell and then I'll be clearing 2.5 acres for my new home in Oklahoma and after that it will only be used sporadically. I told them to go ahead at Whitestar Machinery our local bobcat dealer in Wichita with the Reman'd Turbo, but now I'm seriously thinking that maybe I should call and cancel and have them install and aftermarket one???? Is it really worth the extra $1000-1200 to go with the Bobcat part?
7LBS! I'm with you, I'd like to know too if the issue was fixed or not... Maybe he's still working on it? 1stbobcat, probably a bit late but personally I'd be very leery of anything coming from China. Not long ago a friend of mine bought some aftermarket parts for a Hitachi excavator from China and they just did not work, the sensors were bad right out of the box and they sent him a computer that was physically identical to his but was for a completely different machine... I had the same issues with my machine and I went OEM and even though it was a bit more expensive I'm happy to report that I haven't had a single issue in the 6 years since the repairs.

7LBSSMALLIE

7LBS! I'm with you, I'd like to know too if the issue was fixed or not... Maybe he's still working on it? 1stbobcat, probably a bit late but personally I'd be very leery of anything coming from China. Not long ago a friend of mine bought some aftermarket parts for a Hitachi excavator from China and they just did not work, the sensors were bad right out of the box and they sent him a computer that was physically identical to his but was for a completely different machine... I had the same issues with my machine and I went OEM and even though it was a bit more expensive I'm happy to report that I haven't had a single issue in the 6 years since the repairs.
just the same being frugal I got a benz a 98 suv. drive line carrier brg went out. 250 from benz. (had dana spicer printed on it) 89 from replucic dskill. so gives some pause as to oem. do the research

7LBSSMALLIE

just the same being frugal I got a benz a 98 suv. drive line carrier brg went out. 250 from benz. (had dana spicer printed on it) 89 from replucic dskill. so gives some pause as to oem. do the research
DONT MEAN TO BE a D. BUT IS THIS ISSUE RESOLVED?. if we don't get feed back we are wastining our time you are screwing the next guy pay it forward, you asked for help you got it. there is a reason why most members dropped out,