bobcat 8709 backhoe bucket question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kfin

I have bought an 8709 backhoe for my 873. It has not been delivered yet but has a 24" bucket on it. I would like to get a smaller bucket to do some water lines. Are there any brands that won't work with this backhoe? Or can I just pick up a small bucket and it will be good to go? Sorry for the rookie questions. :)

TriHonu

Do you have the pin on buckets or the Exchange mount?
I picked up a couple of Bobcat pin mount backhoe buckets at an auction. When I got them home a closer inspection showed the pin sizes and locations were different.
I took the numbers off the buckets and asked the parts manager at my dealer what they would fit. One bucket will fit a 709, 8709, 811 and 8811 backhoe attachments. The other bucket will fit a 607 backhoe attachment and 225, 325, and 328 mini excavators.
So the answer is the pin on buckets are not all the same. I don't know if the Exchange mount is the same on both the backhoe attachments and mini excavators.

skidsteer.ca

Do you have the pin on buckets or the Exchange mount?
I picked up a couple of Bobcat pin mount backhoe buckets at an auction. When I got them home a closer inspection showed the pin sizes and locations were different.
I took the numbers off the buckets and asked the parts manager at my dealer what they would fit. One bucket will fit a 709, 8709, 811 and 8811 backhoe attachments. The other bucket will fit a 607 backhoe attachment and 225, 325, and 328 mini excavators.
So the answer is the pin on buckets are not all the same. I don't know if the Exchange mount is the same on both the backhoe attachments and mini excavators.
I know the 909 and 709 hoes are not the same, believe the pin diameter is but not the location. Measure the pins you have and then take a piece of cardboard and cut the outline of the bucket and the pin locations into the cardboard. tke your "template" with you when looking for bucket candidates.
I still have the 16" from my 909, I was going to adapt it to the 709 which has a 20", but have not got to it yet. I had the 12" for the 909, but it never help trenching speed unless I was in sand or gravel, as it required being cleaned out too often.
Ken

OP
OP
K

kfin

I know the 909 and 709 hoes are not the same, believe the pin diameter is but not the location. Measure the pins you have and then take a piece of cardboard and cut the outline of the bucket and the pin locations into the cardboard. tke your "template" with you when looking for bucket candidates.
I still have the 16" from my 909, I was going to adapt it to the 709 which has a 20", but have not got to it yet. I had the 12" for the 909, but it never help trenching speed unless I was in sand or gravel, as it required being cleaned out too often.
Ken
Interesting that they are not interchangeable. :) Typical though. Good idea on the template Ken, I will do that and just leave it in my truck. Never know when the opportunity might present itself. I know you said the clay and stuff stuck in the 12" bucket. What would be a good size? I have to go a long ways (couple hundred yards) for water and electric. That isn't counting going between the house and shed. Buying a trencher is out of the question right now.

skidsteer.ca

Interesting that they are not interchangeable. :) Typical though. Good idea on the template Ken, I will do that and just leave it in my truck. Never know when the opportunity might present itself. I know you said the clay and stuff stuck in the 12" bucket. What would be a good size? I have to go a long ways (couple hundred yards) for water and electric. That isn't counting going between the house and shed. Buying a trencher is out of the question right now.
I found the 16" was alot better, or look for a bucket that is not real deep, like the Deere skidsteer backhoes ones.
12" will work if its pretty dry, thats just not many days a year up here, and we don't have much gravel/sand in this area.
No one has a trencher you can rent for a day? I find mine 2 X the speed of the hoe and alot less mess if 6" wide and 4ft deep is enough.
Ken

TriHonu

I found the 16" was alot better, or look for a bucket that is not real deep, like the Deere skidsteer backhoes ones.
12" will work if its pretty dry, thats just not many days a year up here, and we don't have much gravel/sand in this area.
No one has a trencher you can rent for a day? I find mine 2 X the speed of the hoe and alot less mess if 6" wide and 4ft deep is enough.
Ken
If you want a narrow bucket look for one that is narrower at the back and wider at the cutting edge. They are made for clay and sticky materials and will empty much easier. I have even seen some that had holes drilled in the back of the bucket to let water out the back and to break the suction when dumping.
There are dedicated trenching buckets like the EZ Dig from Rockland Mfg. I don't know if they would keep up with a trencher, but they appear to work much faster than a regular bucket.