bobcat 863 vs S300

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dav04

Hello guys, New here, i am from belgium living in Peru, want to buy a skidsteer bobcat but i don't know anything, i saw a S300 year 2002 with 2500 hours but they say that can reduce hours and on the other hand a 863 with 4000 hours year 2004, send a mecanic and told me that the 863 has a better engine and has it has been imported from the usa, quiet dificult to touch hours of work, on the outside the 863 is better looking that the s300, both come breakers and buckets the s300 = 14 000 $ the 863 = 16 000 $ I appriciate if you could help me guys, Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
Technically either could have the hours changed, you just change the computer.
The S300 should have vertical lift, and the 863 should have radial lift. This means the S300 will load a truck easier than the 863. The 863 has the Deutz oil cooled engine? they are good engines, but parts are expensive, the S300 should have a Kubota.
I assume they mean better as in its in better shape? The deutz is an excellent engine, but when things go wrong, they are very expensive to repair.

OP
OP
D

dav04

Technically either could have the hours changed, you just change the computer.
The S300 should have vertical lift, and the 863 should have radial lift. This means the S300 will load a truck easier than the 863. The 863 has the Deutz oil cooled engine? they are good engines, but parts are expensive, the S300 should have a Kubota.
I assume they mean better as in its in better shape? The deutz is an excellent engine, but when things go wrong, they are very expensive to repair.
thanks for your answer, the mecanic told me that the Deutz engine is intact, but what do you mean by oil cooled engine? Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
thanks for your answer, the mecanic told me that the Deutz engine is intact, but what do you mean by oil cooled engine? Thanks
The deutz uses oil to cool its self, instead of the more common ones that use coolant. Its not really an issue, just a different cooling technique, both work just fine.

Bobcatdan

The deutz uses oil to cool its self, instead of the more common ones that use coolant. Its not really an issue, just a different cooling technique, both work just fine.
I would take the S300 over the 863 considering both are close in over all shape. 863 are kinda hot rods. High horsepower for what they can lift, the push like hell, but a S300 will outlift a 863 anyday.

7LBSSMALLIE

I would take the S300 over the 863 considering both are close in over all shape. 863 are kinda hot rods. High horsepower for what they can lift, the push like hell, but a S300 will outlift a 863 anyday.
something to conisder is after our housing market fiasco. a lot of units got shipped overseas some good some not so good. 863 solid units ;; but has the timing belt been replaced? are the inj good, are rings glazed from not dot dogging it down twice a day? prior to purchase run a compression check, pop check inj;s vissually inspect blow by tube, if it still has ribbed dipstick are they intact? smoke oil consumption (1 qt a week normal) have field mods been done (pcv) etc? do you have a reputable dealer who can answer these question? the 300 hundred check code list if lots of air filter codes run away , kubotas hate dirt,