bobcat 863 turbo F series

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Stone Hands

Can someone help me out with this question. I have an older model model 863 turbo F series Bobcat. I have the repair manual which is extensive. Great for repair but I do not have the owners manual on this unit. Question is this. On the upper left side of the cab is the rocker switch for the headlights. My lights are retangle by the way. Under this switch is another rocker switch with a light emblem on it. What does it control. The rear lights? I would have thought that when the lights are on the rear work lights would always be on at the same time for saftey. I cannot get the rear lights to work after checking fuses, replacing the bulbs and light units. I thought I might have a bad switch if the second switch is for the rear lights.

skidsteer.ca

Usually the fore and aft lights are on one switch with 3 positions,
Off, Front, or both Front and rear.
Not sure what the other switch is.
The aux hydraulics was a pus buttion switch with 2 small green lights but you are saying rocker switch.
Perhaps that switch was aftermarket or optional for say something like a beacon light?
Skidsteer

OP
OP
S

Stone Hands

Usually the fore and aft lights are on one switch with 3 positions,
Off, Front, or both Front and rear.
Not sure what the other switch is.
The aux hydraulics was a pus buttion switch with 2 small green lights but you are saying rocker switch.
Perhaps that switch was aftermarket or optional for say something like a beacon light?
Skidsteer
Thank you for picking up on my error. When I looked again, there is only one rocker switch for lights. As you said they are Off, Headlights, and both Headlights and rear lights. I used a 12 volt tester and pulled out the bulb in both the work lights and tail lights with switch on. I got a strong read from each socket telling me there is juice going to the lights. Maybe I do not have a good ground somewhere? What do ya think? My unit had a top hard mount strobe that was broken off. The base and wiring are still there but the rest has been smashed off. The strobe is tied into the wiring harness from the lights in the cab. The ground looks pretty junked up so I am going to clean it up and see if that helps. Also will add another strobe as I like having it on while I work on my shoulders by the road. Your thoughts on it being a ground problem?

Tazza

Staff member
Thank you for picking up on my error. When I looked again, there is only one rocker switch for lights. As you said they are Off, Headlights, and both Headlights and rear lights. I used a 12 volt tester and pulled out the bulb in both the work lights and tail lights with switch on. I got a strong read from each socket telling me there is juice going to the lights. Maybe I do not have a good ground somewhere? What do ya think? My unit had a top hard mount strobe that was broken off. The base and wiring are still there but the rest has been smashed off. The strobe is tied into the wiring harness from the lights in the cab. The ground looks pretty junked up so I am going to clean it up and see if that helps. Also will add another strobe as I like having it on while I work on my shoulders by the road. Your thoughts on it being a ground problem?
Poor earth is very possible. Can you try running a lamp from the +ve connections back to ground? this will show if its a good +ve power connection too. A meter puts very little load on on the circuit, a globe will load it down.

OP
OP
S

Stone Hands

Poor earth is very possible. Can you try running a lamp from the +ve connections back to ground? this will show if its a good +ve power connection too. A meter puts very little load on on the circuit, a globe will load it down.
Ok Tazza you lost me at HELLO! Your suggestion is a good one and I will have son #1 the electrical engineer when he is over perform the check you suggest. Unless it sparking, has a blue flame shooting out of it or I can see a broken connection, it is out of my knowledge zone as it relates to anything electrical. I will go with your suggestion and thank you again for coming forward.