Bobcat 853H won't start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Jball

My 853H was running like a champ but had a leaky gear pump. It sat for about 10 months before I could get to it. I didn't start it at all during that time because I drained all the hydro fluid out of it so it wouldn't leak. Over the last few days , I pulled the pump and rebuilt it. After reinstalling the pump and putting in fresh hydro and a new battery in, I tried to start it, and the problems started. When I turn the key on, the ignition comes on and the display lights up, but when I turn it to start, nothing... No clicks or sounds of any kind. I tried bridging the solenoid and got the starter to engage, but I think I've made things worse. After trying to start it by bridging the starter a few times, the ignition went dead. Now, if I turn on the key on I get nothing. But, if I add a booster battery with the - on the frame and the + on the positive pole (B) on the solenoid, the ignition comes back on. I'm at a loss and now have 2 problems to chase. First, the original problem- why didn't the starter turn after I finished the original repair? Second- why is my ignition now dead without the addition of a booster pack? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tazza

Staff member
Your main fuse may have blown or corroded, if it's dead, it won't crank. Even check the terminals between the battery and starter.

bobbie-g

Your main fuse may have blown or corroded, if it's dead, it won't crank. Even check the terminals between the battery and starter.
And I had a battery cable go bad, no visible corrosion. It was intermittent. Found it by engaging starter switch (nothing happened) and holding it in the start position. I then started at the battery terminals with a voltmeter. Terminal to terminal was 12v. Left the - voltmeter lead on the battery terminal, and moved the positive one to the positive terminal clamp. Still 12v, so the post-to-clamp connection was good. Then moved the voltmeter lead to the wire connector at the starter. 1 volt. Wiggled the wire which was attached to the connector and the starter engaged. Replaced large battery wire and all's well. :) ---Bobbie-G

7LBSSMALLIE

And I had a battery cable go bad, no visible corrosion. It was intermittent. Found it by engaging starter switch (nothing happened) and holding it in the start position. I then started at the battery terminals with a voltmeter. Terminal to terminal was 12v. Left the - voltmeter lead on the battery terminal, and moved the positive one to the positive terminal clamp. Still 12v, so the post-to-clamp connection was good. Then moved the voltmeter lead to the wire connector at the starter. 1 volt. Wiggled the wire which was attached to the connector and the starter engaged. Replaced large battery wire and all's well. :) ---Bobbie-G
strong possibility you jacked over pump. locked up so to speak take drive belt off to confirm.

mmsllc

strong possibility you jacked over pump. locked up so to speak take drive belt off to confirm.
Test you new battery. Make sure it is good If not, replace it. Check your battery cable terminals on the battery. Make sure they are tight & clean; if you can twist them loose from the battery with your fingers / hands, they are too loose. If they are bad, replace them. If the battery is good, the start chasing the power cable from the battery to the starter. If that checks out good, then chase down your ground cable from the battery to the engine block / below the starter & then from that point to the frame of the machine.