Bobcat 773 won't turn off?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Brubanik

When I turn off the key, the machine keeps running. I actually have to stall it out to stop it. Anybody have an idea why? Also I've been experiencing battery problems...We don't use it much...and after maybe 2 weeks in warm weather, the battery is low and won't crank the machine?

thetool

It's either mechanical or electrical. Open the back door, start the machine, unplug the fuel shutoff solenoid. If it's mechanically sound, the linkage will spring over to stop and she'll quit.
If it's electrical, figuring out what's wrong might take a little longer. G- or F- series? F-series, could have bad wiring anywhere between the keyswich, fuel shutoff solenoid and timer, sticky relay, etc., but the power to the solenoid is not shutting off when you trun the key.
G- series, if it's not the computer, you should get some kind of code in addition to the fault, whether the code is for the start circuit or not. I can think of some different scenarios.
F- or G- series?

BOHadvantage

I'm with thetool i bet it is the fuel shutoff solenoid. Always had to replace them on the F-series loaders. Are your cab lights rectangular or triangular? If rectangular get the solenoid.

Fishfiles

I'm with thetool i bet it is the fuel shutoff solenoid. Always had to replace them on the F-series loaders. Are your cab lights rectangular or triangular? If rectangular get the solenoid.
I seen this before and it was an alternator problem

OP
OP
B

Brubanik

Fishfiles, are you talking about the battery, shut off, or both?
It is a G series. I can't remember seeing any code? would the code show up on the hour meter window. And, do you think this could have something to do with the battery problem?

skidsteer.ca

It is a G series. I can't remember seeing any code? would the code show up on the hour meter window. And, do you think this could have something to do with the battery problem?
Yes codes go in the hr meter display.
If you unplug the solinoid on the injection pump and the machine turns off the solinoid is fine.
Sounds like a stuck relay (in the fuse panel, $10.00 try switching the relay around with each other) or some other switch continues to feed power to the shut off solinoid even though the key is off. Definitely what is killing your battery.
Ken

Fishfiles

Yes codes go in the hr meter display.
If you unplug the solinoid on the injection pump and the machine turns off the solinoid is fine.
Sounds like a stuck relay (in the fuse panel, $10.00 try switching the relay around with each other) or some other switch continues to feed power to the shut off solinoid even though the key is off. Definitely what is killing your battery.
Ken
I know some machines have a diode in the alternator or in the wiring harness that if it goes out it feeds the kill solinoid ,seems that machines that won't spin the starter when the key is turned to start and the motor is already running are machines that have the diode , and it does drain the battery

Tazza

Staff member
I know some machines have a diode in the alternator or in the wiring harness that if it goes out it feeds the kill solinoid ,seems that machines that won't spin the starter when the key is turned to start and the motor is already running are machines that have the diode , and it does drain the battery
Could even be as simple as gunk in the stop solenoid preventing it from moving all the way to the stop position. The diode is a definite possibility too.

OP
OP
B

Brubanik

Could even be as simple as gunk in the stop solenoid preventing it from moving all the way to the stop position. The diode is a definite possibility too.
1 more ? fellas, What manual should I purchase...I have the Operation & Maintenance Manual Not sure which one I need, and where I should buy it. Thanks for all the help

thetool

1 more ? fellas, What manual should I purchase...I have the Operation & Maintenance Manual Not sure which one I need, and where I should buy it. Thanks for all the help
Service manual. You can by paper or cd from the dealer. I don't like the cd so much. If you do a search on model and manual, sometimes alternate sources come up. A few on ebay. get the price from your dealer first, so you don't pay too much.
Try to get an older original manual with the fold-out schematics.
A parts manual is helpful also. I wish Bobcat would put that on the web like most everybody else.