Bobcat 773 Fuel supply problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

drnsdad

Hi all, I am new to this particular forum and a fairly new owner of a Bobcat 773. I have put about 10 hours on it with not a lick of problems. Yesterday I went out to crank it as I have not used it for about a month now and it ran just fine for about 3-5 mins and then just acted like it ran out of fuel. It would restart and then die again. I finally found that the primer bulb between the fuel tank (not sure if this is from the factory or not) was completely collapsed. I found that it could not get any fuel from the tank, and yes is has plenty of fuel in the tank. I removed the fuel cap and there was no vacuum built up in the tank. So my only conclusion is that the fuel line or tank is clogged. I tried blowing back into the tank from the tank side of the primer bulb but could not. Is there a check valve or some kind of fuel shut-off in the bottom of the tank?? I even took the primer bulb off and turned it around to try and blow air back into the tank but could not. I hate to think I have to remove the tank. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Robert

skidsteer.ca

Is it freezing where you are?
Hook up a temporary fuel source and run it inside to thaw. Or trace you fuel line back to the tank (under engine by lifting cab up, tough spot) and unhook line ad see if it is the the line on the pickup into the tank
Just a thought
Ken

OP
OP
D

drnsdad

Is it freezing where you are?
Hook up a temporary fuel source and run it inside to thaw. Or trace you fuel line back to the tank (under engine by lifting cab up, tough spot) and unhook line ad see if it is the the line on the pickup into the tank
Just a thought
Ken
No it is not freezing here. It was 70 Degrees F. I am in N. Carolina. Currently have not tried to get to the bottom of the tank. The machine is at my property 15 miles from the house. So I only get limited time out there and have no power out there. Did not want to try blowing compressed are up into the fuel tank if there is a check valve or something of that nature in the pathway from the tank to the primer bulb. Thanks.

Tazza

Staff member
No it is not freezing here. It was 70 Degrees F. I am in N. Carolina. Currently have not tried to get to the bottom of the tank. The machine is at my property 15 miles from the house. So I only get limited time out there and have no power out there. Did not want to try blowing compressed are up into the fuel tank if there is a check valve or something of that nature in the pathway from the tank to the primer bulb. Thanks.
I'm pretty sure there is a check valve at the end of the fuel pickup. You will need to try and get the pickup put to clean it i'm afraid....

Luthor

I'm pretty sure there is a check valve at the end of the fuel pickup. You will need to try and get the pickup put to clean it i'm afraid....
If it is the same as a 743 there is a fine mesh screen on the end of the pick up hose in the tank that is probably blocked, as mine was, and had the same symptoms as you describe. You will have to get it out to clean it up.

WebbCo

If it is the same as a 743 there is a fine mesh screen on the end of the pick up hose in the tank that is probably blocked, as mine was, and had the same symptoms as you describe. You will have to get it out to clean it up.
Send me your email address and I will send you a picture of the fuel system.

OP
OP
D

drnsdad

Mark, my email is [email protected]. Does the pickup tube come in from the top? In other words am I going to be able to get to it without removing the tank? Many thanks.
Problem solved. The filter on the end of the fuel pickup tube in the tank was clean as a whistle, but the little bb (checkvalve) in the filter was stuck. Tapped it a few times and then I could hear the bb when I shook it. It works fine now, but I will be replacing it anyway along with the pickup tube which was so brittle, it broke when I pulled it from the tank. So both will be replaced. Thanks for all of the help folks. Robert

mountntop

Problem solved. The filter on the end of the fuel pickup tube in the tank was clean as a whistle, but the little bb (checkvalve) in the filter was stuck. Tapped it a few times and then I could hear the bb when I shook it. It works fine now, but I will be replacing it anyway along with the pickup tube which was so brittle, it broke when I pulled it from the tank. So both will be replaced. Thanks for all of the help folks. Robert
for all the hassles we have, why not leave the pickup hose end thats in the tank open and install an inline filter and an inline checkvalve before the primer bulb?