Bobcat 753 with fuel problems- I think.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

robertpier

My 753 has a problem that I hope somebody can help me troubleshoot. It acted like it ran out of fuel although the guage indicated half a tank. I topped it off without any improvement( not a guage failure). I replaced the fuel filter and it started and ran well until I started working. Then it crapped out again. It's possible that I may have mistakenly gotten gasoline in the tank. Would this stratify in the tank when sitting for a long time? When I start to work it the tank gets mixed and leads to lack of power and dies. I plan to drain the unit. Hopefully this will resolve the problem but I would appreciate any other ideas.

Tazza

Staff member
Check the primer bulb, is it being sucked flat? if so, you may have algae in the tank restricting fuel flow. You may even have a cracked pickup tube.

Bobcatdan

Check the primer bulb, is it being sucked flat? if so, you may have algae in the tank restricting fuel flow. You may even have a cracked pickup tube.
If the primer bulb is sucking flat, try removing the filler cap. I have seen them no vent.

OP
OP
R

robertpier

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't appear to flatten the primer. But I'm almost sure now that there is gasoline in the tank. Will this cause any permanent damage to the engine? How difficult is it to access the tank to inspect for algea or a bad pick up tube?

jerry

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't appear to flatten the primer. But I'm almost sure now that there is gasoline in the tank. Will this cause any permanent damage to the engine? How difficult is it to access the tank to inspect for algea or a bad pick up tube?
If you search this forum for pickup tube there are lots of posts on it. Use the search blank directly above not the one that is for web search. I have to click go twice to make it work as the first time does nothing but it does work.

SkidRoe

I was able to get a good view of the inside of mine with a flashlight. You may want to tape it to a piece of dowel to get a better view. That was how I determined my pickup tube broke and fished out the broke off piece to recover the strainer.

OP
OP
R

robertpier

I was able to get a good view of the inside of mine with a flashlight. You may want to tape it to a piece of dowel to get a better view. That was how I determined my pickup tube broke and fished out the broke off piece to recover the strainer.
What did you do then? There doesn't appear to be an easy way to access that tank. Does the bottom plate come off or do you have to disconnect all the hydraulics above the tank to do the repair? Mine must be broken off at the 3/4 tank level.

SkidRoe

What did you do then? There doesn't appear to be an easy way to access that tank. Does the bottom plate come off or do you have to disconnect all the hydraulics above the tank to do the repair? Mine must be broken off at the 3/4 tank level.
Check this post, it may help: http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=39568

Fishfiles

Check this post, it may help: http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=39568
I see it happen that the fuel line between the pickup tube and the bulb which goes under the engine gets messed up , sometimes it gets smashed from bad motor mounts , oil on the mounts makes the rubber soft and the motor sits down farther and squishes the hose ,especally when there is a lot of dirt under the engine , sometimes the hose gets a pin hole under the outter cover of the hose and it will look like blood viens running down the side the hose , but the most common problem is the pickup tube cracking or breaking off , also see alot where the old pickup tube had been replaced before and the old one was still in the tank , it deteriorates into little pieces and those pieces get sucked up into the pickup tube and get lodged up in the 90 degree fitting -------- I am so feed up with fighting to get the pickup tube out of some models that I have been relocating them , on this machine you can drill ( with a right angle drill ) another hole into the tank right by the gear pump , get another 90 degree fitting , rubber grommet and new style hard plastic pickup tube and install it in the hole and reroute some new fuel hose to the primer bulb , plug off the old hose with a bolt and hose clamp ,