Bobcat 753-F purchase and something isn't right

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Frank in AZ

Hi, I bought a Bobcat 753-F at a reposessed equipment auction. The battery was the original and was dead (it's a 1998 unit) and it wouldn't take a jump when they tried to start it because the terminals were corroded. I figured I'd take a shot and bought it for $5000. I picked it up today and in order to drive it onto the trailer I had to install a new battery. I cleaned the cable ends and installed the battery and she fired right up. Nice healthy engine and no startup noise after it's extended storage. The problem is that when I went to lift the bucket, nothing happened. I could hear the engine draw down but no lift or movement, same when trying to go forward or backwards. I shut her down and checked the hydraulic fluid and it was full. I got back into the machine and figuring I was doing something wrong, I tried again and this time the bucket went right up and the tilt worked fine and she went backwards and forward like a champ. I was thrilled. I got the trailer set up and restarted the Bobcat and guess what? ... no movement again. The engine draws down a bit when I try the bucket (the bucket moves a bit but won't lift) and when I try to run it forwards or backwards she'll start to move and then I hear a loud terrible cavitating sound. After another inspection and a quick read of the instruction labels, I tried again and once again, she worked fine. I drove here up onto the trailer, got her home, unloaded her and then, once again she won't move. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. When she works, she works 100% perfectly. All the filters were changed and marked with the hours. That was 75 hours ago. The fluid in the tank behind the seat is clean and full. Thank you for your time. Frank

StuZ

Does it have a press to operate button in the upper console ?? If it doesn't, get one installed. For the here and now, what green lights are on in the module behind your right elbow ?? Kinda sounds like something under the seat switch, or the seat frame/foam itself. Or possiblly the seat bar wear pads are worn (white pads by your knees)

OP
OP
F

Frank in AZ

Does it have a press to operate button in the upper console ?? If it doesn't, get one installed. For the here and now, what green lights are on in the module behind your right elbow ?? Kinda sounds like something under the seat switch, or the seat frame/foam itself. Or possiblly the seat bar wear pads are worn (white pads by your knees)
Exactly where is this button located? She's sitting in the desert on my property (I tucked her away in a wash so she's not readily visable). The white nylon pads on the foot control lockouts are worn but the pedals do operate. They appear to be a mechanical lockout. The pedals move and I can hear the engine draw down as the pump pressures up. Release the pedal and I can hear the engine unload to normal. I will take a run down to the property and fire her up and check for lights on the control module. It'll take me about an hour round trip. Thank you for the reply, Frank

Tazza

Staff member
Exactly where is this button located? She's sitting in the desert on my property (I tucked her away in a wash so she's not readily visable). The white nylon pads on the foot control lockouts are worn but the pedals do operate. They appear to be a mechanical lockout. The pedals move and I can hear the engine draw down as the pump pressures up. Release the pedal and I can hear the engine unload to normal. I will take a run down to the property and fire her up and check for lights on the control module. It'll take me about an hour round trip. Thank you for the reply, Frank
It sounds like its the BICS. I would guess it was a sensor for the seat bar or seat, just as StuZ said. If they are not working they will cause the park brake to not dis-engage. I believe that the BICS will also prevent the hydraulics from working when it sees that there is a possible safety risk, ie seat bar up or no one on the seat. The lights on the right hand side when you are seated will tell you if these are operating.
Sit in the cab, turn the key to on, then check that the seat bar and seat lights both come on when you drop the seat bar.

StuZ

It sounds like its the BICS. I would guess it was a sensor for the seat bar or seat, just as StuZ said. If they are not working they will cause the park brake to not dis-engage. I believe that the BICS will also prevent the hydraulics from working when it sees that there is a possible safety risk, ie seat bar up or no one on the seat. The lights on the right hand side when you are seated will tell you if these are operating.
Sit in the cab, turn the key to on, then check that the seat bar and seat lights both come on when you drop the seat bar.
I can email you some info the the press to operate "override" pkg. it's in a pdf file. But either way the button should be there, and if it worked once, you had to have pushed it. As always, the serial number is a very handy thing to have

OP
OP
F

Frank in AZ

I can email you some info the the press to operate "override" pkg. it's in a pdf file. But either way the button should be there, and if it worked once, you had to have pushed it. As always, the serial number is a very handy thing to have
Good morning, Thank you for all the replies. I noticed the small electronic control module on the back panel behind the seat but didn't think that the hydraulic pressure was electronically controled. I'll run up there this morning with my Fluke DVOM and check for continuity and adjust / bypass the safety switches for the time being (and my own peace of mind that the machine works). I've made my email address public so you can send me the .pdf file but I didn't see it posted anywhere. Maybe it'll show on this new post. If not, you can email me at [ [email protected] ]. >> Several new questions. Where is the best place to buy a factory service manual? I see that there is a fellow on eBay selling them for $65.00. Is this a good price? How much are they at the Bobcat dealer? >> Is there a good place online to order and buy parts from that would give me a little savings over my local dealer (who has yet to answer the phone .. twice I've gotten an answering machine)? Once again, thank you for the replies and help. Frank

OP
OP
F

Frank in AZ

Good morning, Thank you for all the replies. I noticed the small electronic control module on the back panel behind the seat but didn't think that the hydraulic pressure was electronically controled. I'll run up there this morning with my Fluke DVOM and check for continuity and adjust / bypass the safety switches for the time being (and my own peace of mind that the machine works). I've made my email address public so you can send me the .pdf file but I didn't see it posted anywhere. Maybe it'll show on this new post. If not, you can email me at [ [email protected] ]. >> Several new questions. Where is the best place to buy a factory service manual? I see that there is a fellow on eBay selling them for $65.00. Is this a good price? How much are they at the Bobcat dealer? >> Is there a good place online to order and buy parts from that would give me a little savings over my local dealer (who has yet to answer the phone .. twice I've gotten an answering machine)? Once again, thank you for the replies and help. Frank
Good morning .. Well I went out to the lot armed with all the needed tools .. Fluke meter, spare wire, soldering iron, test light, ice water (for me, it's hot out in the middle of the desert), etc. The first thing I thought I'd do is a visual inspection on the switches. Keep in mind that this beauty just came from an equipment auction from the finance company. The seat was torn down the seam and I thought the switch was within the seat. After feeling around the seat cushion area and not finding any switch/wiring, I climbed in a little further and couldn't see any wiring behind the seat either. I figured that while I'm back here I might as well clean it up a bit. When I went to remove the Mike's hard lemonade bottle I noticed that I had to take my knee off of the seat for me to snag it out of there. When I put my knee back on the seat I noticed that the seat was now spring loaded. The switch is under the seat and the bottle was keeping the seat up just enough ... I started her up and tried the operation and everything worked right away perfectly. ha ha ha .. a bottle behind the seat was the cause of the hit/miss hydraulic operation! Now I am "really" happy with my purchase. I want to thank you all for the answers and suggestions. I still need to know if there is an online source for parts and about the manual. I'll post some pictures later today of my desert Bobcat. Thanks again, Frank

sterlclan

Good morning .. Well I went out to the lot armed with all the needed tools .. Fluke meter, spare wire, soldering iron, test light, ice water (for me, it's hot out in the middle of the desert), etc. The first thing I thought I'd do is a visual inspection on the switches. Keep in mind that this beauty just came from an equipment auction from the finance company. The seat was torn down the seam and I thought the switch was within the seat. After feeling around the seat cushion area and not finding any switch/wiring, I climbed in a little further and couldn't see any wiring behind the seat either. I figured that while I'm back here I might as well clean it up a bit. When I went to remove the Mike's hard lemonade bottle I noticed that I had to take my knee off of the seat for me to snag it out of there. When I put my knee back on the seat I noticed that the seat was now spring loaded. The switch is under the seat and the bottle was keeping the seat up just enough ... I started her up and tried the operation and everything worked right away perfectly. ha ha ha .. a bottle behind the seat was the cause of the hit/miss hydraulic operation! Now I am "really" happy with my purchase. I want to thank you all for the answers and suggestions. I still need to know if there is an online source for parts and about the manual. I'll post some pictures later today of my desert Bobcat. Thanks again, Frank
I have yet to find an online source for parts the manual on ebay is most likley a photocopy but I got mine that way and it is fine if you do find an online supplier by all means let us know. Jeff

StuZ

I have yet to find an online source for parts the manual on ebay is most likley a photocopy but I got mine that way and it is fine if you do find an online supplier by all means let us know. Jeff
Your manual is around $ 70.00 less binder from Bobcat. The question you should ask your ebay salesman is when the last revision was ?? Glad you got it fixed !!

freddyc

good for you!! You got a good deal on the machine and the fix was easy. Hope it works out ewell for you...post some pics if you have time.

Tigerotor77W

Haha, never noticed a reply here... but congratulations! Glad the solution was so blame simple!

Latest posts