Bobcat 732 good compression, good spark no start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

BlaineRakowski

I picked up a bobcat 732 with the ford 1.6L in it. Bought it not running from a guy. I have been unable to get it to start, and i am completely puzzled. Someone with experience have any advice? Heres what i've done: New plugs gapped at .027 New Coil/wires/cap/rotor/condensor/wire from coil to points New points gapped at .025 Confirmed rotor is rotating. Verified rotor is not 180 degrees out (pointing at #1@TDC on compression stroke, and #1 plug wire there) Verified coil has about 5.5V with key on, verified power when cranking. Verified spark on every wire with every plug individually set initial timing to about 12 degrees before tdc (to my best ability, but have tried rotating carb) wires are in the 1243 firing order with distributor turning counter clockwise. Cleaned the carb Compression test (160-175 across the board) Verified cam has not jumped time (dots are still point towards each other) Ensured all valves are opening and closing with the cam. Rocker lash checked fine. Removed intake and exhaust and checked for blockage I have poured gas down the cylinder, i have misted gas into the carb, and i used ether both down the cylinder and into carb, and the most i ever get is a little pop. Putting my hand over the carb, i have strong suction while cranking. Once in a while, it will puff back out at me (not flames, just pushing the air back out) Putting my hand over the exhaust (at cylinder head), it does not feel like there is a strong pushing of air. It even seems like it sucks in sometimes. Anyone at all have any ideas? I'm completely stumped Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
B

BlaineRakowski

REPLACE THE CARBERATOR!!! (I've been reading both of your threads.)
This is the only thread i have posted so far. Would the carb on this thing cause it act like this? Over the past 12 hours of trying to start it, i've got it to pop a little maybe 10 times max. I would expect it to run at least a little with gas down the cylinder

Hotrod1830

Did you check to see if for some reason the points didnt come out of adjustment?
If you are giving it fuel, compression and timing are correct and unless you are inducing too much fuel and flooding it,(carb cleaner or propane work better than raw gas, find a vacuum port) I would start looking at ignition. It should start and run for a few seconds with a squirt of gas. I know you said it had spark, but does it have enough? 5.5 volts at the coil seems a little low, even with a ballast resistor. More important, is it should have 12 volts when cranking. There should be 2 wires coming off the positive side of the coil. One is from the switch thru the resistor, the second is from the starter solenoid that provides 12 volts during cranking.

LazyKG

I just posted a reply to another post about a similar starting issue. My problem involving the fuel shutoff solenoid on the carb. Check that out. ----- http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=95209 -----

mini

From what you describe, it kind of sounds like the camshaft timing chain has stretched and skipped a tooth or two, just enough to put the camshaft out of timing, and not start, but not enough to do damage,