Bobcat 643 disconnect u-joint and buying manuals

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for all yours reply, they are very useful

I have order a new seal to the pump (I can't feel any wobble in the shaft so I hope it can do it with a new seal), as you now, it can be replaced from outside the pump.
When I ordered the seal, I ask the bobcat service guy how to get the spline off, and he use to heat it up a little and pull it off with a puller.
I will get to it this weekend, if I get the new seal, and after a have clean it up (goos I looking forward to that cleaning jobJ) I don't now if I will take the plastic blower house off, I have to pull out the oil cooler if I do so.
I don't replace the blower wheel now……it cost about 1100 US$…..hmmm, I will try to get a used one.

But else have I received the service and parts manual, and its worth all the money, it cover all the machine very very good include ex. the hydraulic pump and hydrostatic, I can only recommend the to manuals.

/Mogens
Removing the blower housing is not that easy, if you can leave it in place!. The oil cooler does need to go. Also you need to get to bolts under where the rad sits rite up the back, with everything still in the machine its a nightmare, do your self a favour, leave it alone :). With the engine out you may want to give the rad and oil cooler a good clean with a pressure washer and de-greaser.
When you install the seal you should use a gasket sealant on the outside of the seal just to be sure it doesn't leak between the seal body and the housing. Make sure the seal goes in the rite way!!! but i'm sure you know this already. Good luck with it and do let us know how you go.

Tazza

Staff member
Removing the blower housing is not that easy, if you can leave it in place!. The oil cooler does need to go. Also you need to get to bolts under where the rad sits rite up the back, with everything still in the machine its a nightmare, do your self a favour, leave it alone :). With the engine out you may want to give the rad and oil cooler a good clean with a pressure washer and de-greaser.
When you install the seal you should use a gasket sealant on the outside of the seal just to be sure it doesn't leak between the seal body and the housing. Make sure the seal goes in the rite way!!! but i'm sure you know this already. Good luck with it and do let us know how you go.
I just thought about it and you will have oil leaking out a bit so you can't use gasket sealant, still, it should seal up well.

OP
OP
M

mdj

I just thought about it and you will have oil leaking out a bit so you can't use gasket sealant, still, it should seal up well.
You are right Tazza, I not seems easy to pick out the blower house, so I think I will leave it, buuuut its gone be a mess, when I turn one the pressure washer……J but not all in life can be funny J.
I think a good clean around and in the gasket to the seal can do it.

I will let you know how it goes.
/Mogens

Tazza

Staff member
You are right Tazza, I not seems easy to pick out the blower house, so I think I will leave it, buuuut its gone be a mess, when I turn one the pressure washer……J but not all in life can be funny J.
I think a good clean around and in the gasket to the seal can do it.

I will let you know how it goes.
/Mogens
You would be surprised how clean you can get it while its still in place with a pressure washer. If its anything like when i clean with my pressure washer, you seem to get soaked and covered head to foot with grease!

phaeg

You would be surprised how clean you can get it while its still in place with a pressure washer. If its anything like when i clean with my pressure washer, you seem to get soaked and covered head to foot with grease!
for this type of leak is it easier to remove the pump or the motor. I have the same machine. 643. There is a major leak which I believe is the rear pump seal. Where ever it is the fan/flywheel is slinging oil up into the oil cooler and radiator. I thought the oil cooler may be leaking but my local dealer said that would be rare. I did replace the hose leading to the cooler but still have a major leak. Help please.

Tazza

Staff member
for this type of leak is it easier to remove the pump or the motor. I have the same machine. 643. There is a major leak which I believe is the rear pump seal. Where ever it is the fan/flywheel is slinging oil up into the oil cooler and radiator. I thought the oil cooler may be leaking but my local dealer said that would be rare. I did replace the hose leading to the cooler but still have a major leak. Help please.
Pull the motor, you won't get the pump out with the engine in place. You can i guess, but trust me, pull the motor instead, its MUCH easier to re-install.
With the engine out, give it a real good pressure clean and check if you can find the leak, i would suspect the rear seal too. The oil coolers are pretty tough, but its still possible that vibration caused a stress fracture. With the engine out its easier to see the cooler and clean all the oil out any way.

phaeg

Pull the motor, you won't get the pump out with the engine in place. You can i guess, but trust me, pull the motor instead, its MUCH easier to re-install.
With the engine out, give it a real good pressure clean and check if you can find the leak, i would suspect the rear seal too. The oil coolers are pretty tough, but its still possible that vibration caused a stress fracture. With the engine out its easier to see the cooler and clean all the oil out any way.
is there anything else in this area that would sling oil into the fan?

OP
OP
M

mdj

is there anything else in this area that would sling oil into the fan?
Merry Christmas and good New Year everyone

phaeg:
Like Tazza says, pull the engine out, it IS easy, put something behind the bobcat at the same height to put the engine on, and you can easily pull the engine out by you self.
My oil cooler was very messy to, it was one big cake of oil, grease and dirt.
I have oil coming out (and air coming in) from the seal back of the hydraulic pump and that was the reason to the mess (see picture on mdj bobcat 643), I don't think there is anywhere else the oil can come from, I don't think oil leak from the engine could get to the fan.

I haven't got my seal yet (dame that bobcat service), but the pressure cleaner has been started up, and she is clean in here behind again. When I get the seal, I will tell how I replaced it, its seem to be and easy job.

Tazza

Staff member
Merry Christmas and good New Year everyone

phaeg:
Like Tazza says, pull the engine out, it IS easy, put something behind the bobcat at the same height to put the engine on, and you can easily pull the engine out by you self.
My oil cooler was very messy to, it was one big cake of oil, grease and dirt.
I have oil coming out (and air coming in) from the seal back of the hydraulic pump and that was the reason to the mess (see picture on mdj bobcat 643), I don't think there is anywhere else the oil can come from, I don't think oil leak from the engine could get to the fan.

I haven't got my seal yet (dame that bobcat service), but the pressure cleaner has been started up, and she is clean in here behind again. When I get the seal, I will tell how I replaced it, its seem to be and easy job.
Engine oil technically could get there if the rear main was leaking but you would know it!!! The engine oil will be black and not the nice new oil colour the hydro's run.
Its a very good chance its the main seal on the pump.

danman

good info on this post . I have the same machine with oil coming out of the input shaft seal. I pulled everything Replace seal and had to replace both seals on the other 2 shafts. I also opted to replace all hydraulic hoses at the same time. I was able to verify oil leaking from seal with a video cam called a seesnake from rigid , handy tool. Here is my question. I put everthing back together with high hopes of problem solved . now I have oil blowing up into the cooler not sure but it seems maybe input shaft seal leaking. I don,t know where to start now any input?