Bobcat 642b

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Bwetterlind

I have a 642b and need to change the u joint and starter ring gear i cannot get the u joint yoke to slide off the hydraulic spline any suggestions

Wayne440

Time, patience and your favorite "get it loose juice" is probably the least expensive method to get it off. The faster you try to take it off, and the more force you use, the more expensive the results are likely to be. It took some time to get stuck that tight, and will probably take some time to remove.

Tazza

Staff member
Time, patience and your favorite "get it loose juice" is probably the least expensive method to get it off. The faster you try to take it off, and the more force you use, the more expensive the results are likely to be. It took some time to get stuck that tight, and will probably take some time to remove.
If it was me, i'd remove the engine mount bolts, pull the motor back as far as you can, even use clamps to hold pressure on it, access is the next issue. You need to hit the yoke to free it up. Not sure how you'd go with a long bar and hammer to shock it, but it's how i'd try and get it off.
There shold be a grease nipple on the yoke to grease the splines, the other 2 are for the ujoints.
I'm sure you'll get it off.

flyerdan

If it was me, i'd remove the engine mount bolts, pull the motor back as far as you can, even use clamps to hold pressure on it, access is the next issue. You need to hit the yoke to free it up. Not sure how you'd go with a long bar and hammer to shock it, but it's how i'd try and get it off.
There shold be a grease nipple on the yoke to grease the splines, the other 2 are for the ujoints.
I'm sure you'll get it off.
Once again my favorite go to for stuck items is an air hammer with a dull chisel. Put a little preload on it with a wedge bar or puller and give a couple of quick blasts to loosen it up. It shouldn't take much.
If you're worried about marring the coupler for balance issues, and you have enough hands available, a piece of flat bar laid on the coupler will absorb the chisel damage but transfer the force without issue.

OP
OP
B

Bwetterlind

Once again my favorite go to for stuck items is an air hammer with a dull chisel. Put a little preload on it with a wedge bar or puller and give a couple of quick blasts to loosen it up. It shouldn't take much.
If you're worried about marring the coupler for balance issues, and you have enough hands available, a piece of flat bar laid on the coupler will absorb the chisel damage but transfer the force without issue.
Thanks everyone i tried all the above prior to posting no movement next stop the Bobcat dealer

Latest posts