Bobcat 630 Wisconsin VH4D Flywheel Removal?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Fabricator

Any advice for getting the flywheel off a Wisconsin VH4D in a Bobcat 630?
The manual simply states to remove the flywheel - not so easy when it's been there for roughly forty years. I've tried heat, tapping, pulling, etc. The main issue is there is nothing to really pull from and it is impossible to get behind it. At this point, my options seem to be cutting the shroud to get behind it or trying to pull the whole engine to deal with it out of the machine unless anyone has some tricks up their sleeve.

foton

getting the shroud off I think will help , I had a wis. tdj 18 hp that was fitted into a bobcat 500 and when I replaced the ring gear I had the engine out. And if I remember right I used a large 3 jaw puller ,put some good tension on it then struck the puller bolt a coulpa times and the flywheel popped off. good luck

OP
OP
F

Fabricator

Unfortunately, the shroud bolts to the engine behind the flywheel from what I can see. So there is no way to get behind the flywheel without removing the shroud - and to remove the shroud you have to pull the flywheel - and...

foton

yeah it must be a way different design than what I had. if you remove the screen on the flywheel is there any tapped holes there something like a steering wheel puller can be used for?

d1rider

pull engine & shroud, soak in __wd40 or equiv__,heat,big lever from behind & tap,,,,mine is old too, make sure you get updated stator while you're at it,I used a harley reg/rectifier

gearbox

The manual simply states to remove the flywheel - not so easy when it's been there for roughly forty years. I've tried heat, tapping, pulling, etc. The main issue is there is nothing to really pull from and it is impossible to get behind it. At this point, my options seem to be cutting the shroud to get behind it or trying to pull the whole engine to deal with it out of the machine unless anyone has some tricks up their sleeve.
just smack it with a 8 pound sledge hammer . I use a 3/4 socket over the nut and a piece of 3/4 square stock to pound on and protect the threads . I just took one off yesterday

mcdave720

I had to remove mine last year. I removed the nut, heated around the center flywheel, and then gentle tapped the flywheel with a three pound hammer. it popped right off with out too much trouble. If that doesn't work, try placing the nut loosely back on the crankshaft. Then use a air impact with a flat punch bit placed on the end of the crank. Heating around the center of the flywheel will also help.

OP
OP
F

Fabricator

yeah it must be a way different design than what I had. if you remove the screen on the flywheel is there any tapped holes there something like a steering wheel puller can be used for?

No tapped holes or anything to grab onto. I'd consider welding something to it but the flywheel is cast, so that doesn't sound like the best option. Drilling holes and tapping them may be an option.

pull engine & shroud, soak in __wd40 or equiv__,heat,big lever from behind & tap,,,,mine is old too, make sure you get updated stator while you're at it,I used a harley reg/rectifier

I've soaked it with PB Blaster and Kroil, smacked it, and also heated it.

As mentioned, there is no way to get behind it without removing the shroud - which bolts to the block behind the flywheel, so you have to remove the flywheel to remove the shroud...

I'll look into the stator and harley reg/rectifier - thanks for that info.

just smack it with a 8 pound sledge hammer . I use a 3/4 socket over the nut and a piece of 3/4 square stock to pound on and protect the threads . I just took one off yesterday

As said, I've smacked it and applied heat. It's stuck fast.

I had to remove mine last year. I removed the nut, heated around the center flywheel, and then gentle tapped the flywheel with a three pound hammer. it popped right off with out too much trouble. If that doesn't work, try placing the nut loosely back on the crankshaft. Then use a air impact with a flat punch bit placed on the end of the crank. Heating around the center of the flywheel will also help.

I've gone well past "gentle" with this one and nothing has happened. I'm already a bit worried about what I'm doing to the bearings.

gearbox

you arn't smacking it hard enough . get it between your legs and hit it hard .i have removed at least 10 in the last year

OP
OP
F

Fabricator

Is there a concern of damaging the bearings since you're smacking the end of the crankshaft?

d1rider

what about heating the crank end real hot so it expands, then cooling....stator you might already have ,a simple 2 wire stator with any regulator/rectifier < BWPARTS.com > yb84

gearbox

Call the expert. Tim at Rock Creek Consulting and he will tell you your not hitting it hard enough .

NoUseForAName12712

After trying just about everything including heating it up I was able to get it to slide off like butter using a small air hammer with a pointed bit setting in the divit in the shaft. I found it works best if you just push it against it tight. The high frequency of vibrations seems to have done the trick.
Hope this helps you or anyone who's got a stuck flywheel they can't get puller arms on.

gearbox

you just didn't hit it hard enough . 2 hits with a 8 pound maul . Rock Creek Consulting is the parts expert for Wisconsin engines

NoUseForAName12712

you just didn't hit it hard enough . 2 hits with a 8 pound maul . Rock Creek Consulting is the parts expert for Wisconsin engines
That didn't work for me, and I went ham on it. I even tried heating the flywheel itself and smacking it with 8ib to no avail.
What finally got it for me was using a small air hammer with a pointed bit sitting in the divit in the end of the shaft

lmcl123

That didn't work for me, and I went ham on it. I even tried heating the flywheel itself and smacking it with 8ib to no avail.
What finally got it for me was using a small air hammer with a pointed bit sitting in the divit in the end of the shaft
NoUse,
You rock. I was having an extremely difficult time with my flywheel removal. I' not a pro at this, but I have removed a few by the book. I tried your air hammer trick! SUCCESS! Thanks