Bobcat 610 or not?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

CharlieNH

I have a Bobcat that I always thought was an M610. It was originally yellow, had no cab, and ran on propane when a friend of mine bought it used. I also think it had solid tires for indoor use. I've always worked off the 610 service and parts manuals for various things, even the later version of the rotoswivel, as well as maintenance parts. I have new tires and a homemade cage. Here's the odd thing. I'm fixing a front axle leak and so I need new seals. The typical number is 6515000, which is a seal for a 2 inch shaft. But the shaft section for the seal on my machine is 1-7/8. I'm glad I didn't order the seals until I got the old ones off. (They are CR 18823.) So clearly my machine doesn't completely fit the 610 parts manual. Can anyone suggest what my machine actually is. I even went to lower numbers on the bobcatpartsonline catalog, but every one I looked at used the bigger 6515000 seal. The bore for installing my seal is the same as with this other seal, 3". I once wrote down that I had model M610 with serial number 210894. (Not sure where I found that on the machine.) That kind of serial number doesn't even seem to fit the online parts site's options. What do I own? Thanks for any help.

alchemysa

I cant help with the axle diameter question but as far as I know the 610 I.D. plate is always between your legs on that 'firewall'.

SkidRoe

I cant help with the axle diameter question but as far as I know the 610 I.D. plate is always between your legs on that 'firewall'.
Just a guess, but could it be an M600? I know that there are a lot of similarities between the 2 machines, but that is about it.
Cheers - SR

6brnorma

Just a guess, but could it be an M600? I know that there are a lot of similarities between the 2 machines, but that is about it.
Cheers - SR
Your machine is a 1974 M-610. The seal kit number is pt #6563442

6brnorma

Your machine is a 1974 M-610. The seal kit number is pt #6563442
So…if in fact the race on your axle is 1 7/8" it means that someone at sometime turned it down to accommodate the seal you have now. For repairs I would say your choices are 1) find a 'speedi' sleeve to fit that diameter and use the same size seal. 2) Take a look at "Alchemysa" thread on how he repaired this exact situation 3) find another 610 axle. If you go back to "standard"….I highly recommend you not use SKF, CR or any of those seal….they are of very poor quality compared to the seals in the kits. This is too much work to depend on crappy seals.

6brnorma

So…if in fact the race on your axle is 1 7/8" it means that someone at sometime turned it down to accommodate the seal you have now. For repairs I would say your choices are 1) find a 'speedi' sleeve to fit that diameter and use the same size seal. 2) Take a look at "Alchemysa" thread on how he repaired this exact situation 3) find another 610 axle. If you go back to "standard"….I highly recommend you not use SKF, CR or any of those seal….they are of very poor quality compared to the seals in the kits. This is too much work to depend on crappy seals.
And …… actually I used the wrong term…..it is the counterface not the race.

alchemysa

And …… actually I used the wrong term…..it is the counterface not the race.
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=97813
That's the thread for my axle repair.
Basically, all my axles were turned down slightly to take 2" outside diameter stainless steel sleeves cut from common stainless steel handrail tube. The tube wall thickness was 1.6 mm. (I think 2 times 1.6mm is exactly 1/8 inch). This may be the easiest way for you to return it to original spec.
Just a thought... Unless the sleeve is very tight you might need to glue it in place with Permatex or some similar plastic metal. This would also prevent leaking under the sleeve.
Do you know if all your axles are like this or just this one?

Latest posts