Bobcat 610 oil plug location?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Grundy1700

I just bought a 610, and after it sat for a few days the oil had a gas smell to it. I put a shut off valve on the fuel line to stop that problem. Now I would like to change the oil. The problem is, I can't find the drain plug! In the manual it clearly shows it being about 4" to the right, and lower than the lines going to the oil filter. I can see the "V" shape in the oil pan where the manual shows the plug, but mine does not have one there. I thought maybe someone put the oil pan on backwards, but after feeling around on the other side of the (Wisconsin) engine, I was not able to find anything. I took one line off of the oil filter hoping to drain it that way, but the stream was smaller than a pencil lead. I tried taking the entire plate off where the filter lines go into the engine, but one bolt is so close to a line, I gave up and waited for the manual to show up in the mail. Hopefully I'm being blind/stupid. Anyone know where I should look?

6brnorma

Would need to know which engine you are running in your 610. If it is the Wisconsin VH4D……the drain plug will be at the very back of the engine (and machine) at the very bottom. A "pipe plug" type of plug.

OP
OP
G

Grundy1700

Would need to know which engine you are running in your 610. If it is the Wisconsin VH4D……the drain plug will be at the very back of the engine (and machine) at the very bottom. A "pipe plug" type of plug.
6brnorma Yes it is a VH4D engine, what you describe is where the oil plug should be - But mine does not appear to be there.

6brnorma

6brnorma Yes it is a VH4D engine, what you describe is where the oil plug should be - But mine does not appear to be there.
My next guess is that someone was not paying attention and put the oil pan on backwards and instead of discharging from the rear (under the hydraulic pump) it is up front and under the starter. That would be the 'shitskyies'………...

6brnorma

My next guess is that someone was not paying attention and put the oil pan on backwards and instead of discharging from the rear (under the hydraulic pump) it is up front and under the starter. That would be the 'shitskyies'………...
Not sure how you would get to the thing………it will take a mirror just to see it.

OP
OP
G

Grundy1700

Not sure how you would get to the thing………it will take a mirror just to see it.
I found a fluid transfer pump in the garage with a dipstick tube hose included. I might try using the thing tomorrow after work. (Yes, your phone book has to be printed on Sunday, because you need it right away).????

alchemysa

I found a fluid transfer pump in the garage with a dipstick tube hose included. I might try using the thing tomorrow after work. (Yes, your phone book has to be printed on Sunday, because you need it right away).????
Heres a pic of the sump plate from my VH4D
 photo Sump-plate_zpspicyjxs1.gif
You might also try shoving the transfer pump down the filler tube, but theres probably a small metal mesh screen at the junction of the filler tube and the crank case. The filler tube just pushes into place. Its easily removed if you can get at it.

OP
OP
G

Grundy1700

Heres a pic of the sump plate from my VH4D

You might also try shoving the transfer pump down the filler tube, but theres probably a small metal mesh screen at the junction of the filler tube and the crank case. The filler tube just pushes into place. Its easily removed if you can get at it.
I can tell by looking at the oil pan picture that mine is installed backwards. I changed the oil by removing the oil fill tube and pulling out the old stuff out with the transfer pump. Thanks for everyone's help!

6brnorma

I can tell by looking at the oil pan picture that mine is installed backwards. I changed the oil by removing the oil fill tube and pulling out the old stuff out with the transfer pump. Thanks for everyone's help!
I've been dreading the day I make that mistake……….

alchemysa

I've been dreading the day I make that mistake……….
" I've been dreading the day I make that mistake………. "
Yeah, this post was good timing for me too. Between numerous other jobs I'm slowly reassembling my engine and this is just the sort of blunder I would make.

barryjyoung

So is there some sort of national program to put VH4D oil pans on backwards? Mine came that way from Mr. No Maintenance Farmer Man. Now I have to remove said engine just to put the oil pan on the way it obviously goes on. Sheesh!, I mean it has a drain plug showing after all. Oh well, it will give me a reason to pain the poor thing. Just kidding.

Latest posts