Bobcat 610 help ?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Burl

Hello everyone , I recently bought my 610 for my back yard use . it has a cheap rattle can paint job on it without cleaning first ! lol well the paint was not where the stupidity stopped . It all seemed to be a good machine at first with the exception of missing a clutch cap on the left side rear . That is the left drive forward clutch cover . It is a forced oil supplied shaft ,so it needed replaced . I did this and figured it was already adjusted as far as it would go and still had no forward on the left side . So I tore into it and found the clutches are hard to find ,but mine seemed to be brand new ? I also realized the forward clutch had a lot of play in it once the chains were off maybe at least an 1/8'' in and out . well I took it all apart the castle nut down to the actuator . the outer brg and both races looked brand new , the conical pc they are in was in great shape as well. the clutch (new), then took off the final clutch hub and found a mess ! the 2 races were beat bad ,the brg was not there as well as the end of the hub the brg I.D. sits on was busted up as well ,new brgs inside both halves of the clutch hub though. well ,I could not get the proper thrust brg local so I got one close on diameters and it was a bit thin so I got extra races to make up the difference . I can get the races witch are 1/8'' factory ,but can buy local in 1/32'' ,1/16'',or 3/32'' only . I took one of each . I was gonna load it up with the extra race to take up the space for the lacking brg but it was not enough it was way more than 1/8 shy still with castle nut bottomed . I removed and noticed the that the entire actuation lever had been chewed into about an 1/8'' (I am calling it actuation lever ? it has a 2 pitch acme thread inside to press clutches tight ?) well it needs replaced and can not find one ,then I noticed I could loosen the shaft and turn it to adjust the lever outward to make up space . I am reworking the lever now ,and the end of the hub to make work properly again I hope . where can I find parts for this 610 as the bobcat stores do not seam to wanna deal with this older stuff ? Thank you

SkidRoe

If it is the bearings that you are looking for, I don't think that they are anything special. You should be able to get your local bearing supply shop to match something up for you. As far as Bobcat specific parts, you can look up the part numbers on the Bobcat website yourself, and then call the dealer with the part numbers you need, if they won't look them up for you. Just google bobcat parts, it should be one of the first pages to come up. Once on the page, click on Parts Catalog. When the new window loads, pick your machine from the drop-down menu. HTH - SR

6brnorma

If it is the bearings that you are looking for, I don't think that they are anything special. You should be able to get your local bearing supply shop to match something up for you. As far as Bobcat specific parts, you can look up the part numbers on the Bobcat website yourself, and then call the dealer with the part numbers you need, if they won't look them up for you. Just google bobcat parts, it should be one of the first pages to come up. Once on the page, click on Parts Catalog. When the new window loads, pick your machine from the drop-down menu. HTH - SR
Burl....IMHO you are playing with fire by using anything but stock parts and making exact adjustments on this portion of the assembly. The bobcat pt# for the bearing is 6519100...($20.00)...it has fewer rollers then the bearings you mentioned.Race is pt #6540478. Spindle/pin is pt #5402415. Precise torque and adjustments on the pins and actuating nuts are critical for proper function of the clutch assembly. Failure to properly set this up can literally result in greater expenditures than your initial investment in the entire machine.

Beekeeper

You can get most anything you need from your Bobcat dealer, as stated prior stick with the Bobcat parts whenever possible. I just finished a 610, took it all the way down and did not cut any corners. You will be very happy if you take a bit of extra time and do it right the first time. Clutch adjustment is critical, follow the manual and you will be just fine.

mmsllc

You can get most anything you need from your Bobcat dealer, as stated prior stick with the Bobcat parts whenever possible. I just finished a 610, took it all the way down and did not cut any corners. You will be very happy if you take a bit of extra time and do it right the first time. Clutch adjustment is critical, follow the manual and you will be just fine.
BOBCAT parts are the best for your machine because they were designed for your machine. I know everyone cringes at the thought of high dollar parts, but there are simply no better parts. I would not use any other parts. Be careful!

Tigerhaze

BOBCAT parts are the best for your machine because they were designed for your machine. I know everyone cringes at the thought of high dollar parts, but there are simply no better parts. I would not use any other parts. Be careful!
I'm sorry in advance if I offend any Bobcat dealer parts reps on here but this is my $0.02 as an owner of a M610 as well as several other Melroe/Bobcat belt driven skid steers. I don't think that Bobcat branded parts are ALWAYS the way to go, especially on an older skid steer loader like a M610. One thing to remember that Bobcat does is they put their name on parts manufactured by others so if you can find the OEM number you can branch out to other sources. An example is the engine- the engine on a M-610 is a Wisconsin VH4D gas engine. There are a large number of sources for VH4D parts and buying them from Bobcat is overpaying for no real benefit to you, as long as you have the motor's correct spec numbers. This also goes for tune up items such as spark plus, wires, etc. as well as filters. Another example is seals and packing for the hydraulic lift cylinders and the hydraulic hoses- again most of these can be found as standard sizes at a local hydraulic shop. Having said that there are certain parts that it would not be best to not use substitutes unless absolutely sure of specs- and I think drive bearings/gears, chains, the drive belt, etc. would fall into that category.

6brnorma

I'm sorry in advance if I offend any Bobcat dealer parts reps on here but this is my $0.02 as an owner of a M610 as well as several other Melroe/Bobcat belt driven skid steers. I don't think that Bobcat branded parts are ALWAYS the way to go, especially on an older skid steer loader like a M610. One thing to remember that Bobcat does is they put their name on parts manufactured by others so if you can find the OEM number you can branch out to other sources. An example is the engine- the engine on a M-610 is a Wisconsin VH4D gas engine. There are a large number of sources for VH4D parts and buying them from Bobcat is overpaying for no real benefit to you, as long as you have the motor's correct spec numbers. This also goes for tune up items such as spark plus, wires, etc. as well as filters. Another example is seals and packing for the hydraulic lift cylinders and the hydraulic hoses- again most of these can be found as standard sizes at a local hydraulic shop. Having said that there are certain parts that it would not be best to not use substitutes unless absolutely sure of specs- and I think drive bearings/gears, chains, the drive belt, etc. would fall into that category.
I couldn't agree with you more Tiger……that's why I put the qualifier in my post that read "on this portion of the assembly". I have been unable to locate those bearings even at the larger bearing houses, though, I am certain they are available. I know from experience that the wrong sized bearings on this shaft WILL eat up the clutch plates…… I have a half dozen service manuals of various ages, some of the older ones are much more thorough and two even have a warning not to use the lighter duty bearing. Many parts I acquire from outside sources….I don't think I've bought a Wisconsin part from Bobcat in 20 years….but, some need to be dealer only.

Beekeeper

I couldn't agree with you more Tiger……that's why I put the qualifier in my post that read "on this portion of the assembly". I have been unable to locate those bearings even at the larger bearing houses, though, I am certain they are available. I know from experience that the wrong sized bearings on this shaft WILL eat up the clutch plates…… I have a half dozen service manuals of various ages, some of the older ones are much more thorough and two even have a warning not to use the lighter duty bearing. Many parts I acquire from outside sources….I don't think I've bought a Wisconsin part from Bobcat in 20 years….but, some need to be dealer only.
Yep, those clutch plate bearings are special, I bought replacement bearings from a huge bearing supply house only to set them aside and order the OEM bearings from Bobcat. There was a difference in the quality of the bearing and as 6brnorma stated they would have cause a problem down the line. Some items can be substituted, and you will never know the difference, and others cannot without creating a problem down the line. Beek

OP
OP
B

Burl

Thank you all for your help , My big problem here is ,my closest bobcat dealer does not carry anything for the older stuff ,and getting them to order it has a 40% mark up $$ . I can go on line and order what I need ,and the cost is not the problem as much as the down time . when I tear into something ,I want to do it right ! But am as experimental as the next guy ,and will try something to get it back up and running . I have a good working knowledge of bearings ,and also automatic transmissions. I can see things working ,or maybe not working ,and can ,and have gotten into trouble way back when. I have since decided to be patient, and have found a guy in ND buddy's service ,he has everything and gets it to me pretty quick as well as seems to be a bobcat encyclopedia. this guy has great info ! Again thanks for all the help ,and maybe we have a niche business here of breaking the code so to speak ;)

6brnorma

Thank you all for your help , My big problem here is ,my closest bobcat dealer does not carry anything for the older stuff ,and getting them to order it has a 40% mark up $$ . I can go on line and order what I need ,and the cost is not the problem as much as the down time . when I tear into something ,I want to do it right ! But am as experimental as the next guy ,and will try something to get it back up and running . I have a good working knowledge of bearings ,and also automatic transmissions. I can see things working ,or maybe not working ,and can ,and have gotten into trouble way back when. I have since decided to be patient, and have found a guy in ND buddy's service ,he has everything and gets it to me pretty quick as well as seems to be a bobcat encyclopedia. this guy has great info ! Again thanks for all the help ,and maybe we have a niche business here of breaking the code so to speak ;)
Buddy is the best there is………he has finally moved into the 21st century by at least answering e-mails. For years he would only answer FAX and it might be a week or so before he got back to you. He is up there in years and a wealth of information will vanish when he passes.

7LBSSMALLIE

Buddy is the best there is………he has finally moved into the 21st century by at least answering e-mails. For years he would only answer FAX and it might be a week or so before he got back to you. He is up there in years and a wealth of information will vanish when he passes.
from readining these posts I belive you have stumbled into a wealth of experaince on the 610 clutch and brgs assy. I think id take there advice. I know I will.

Hotrod1830

from readining these posts I belive you have stumbled into a wealth of experaince on the 610 clutch and brgs assy. I think id take there advice. I know I will.
Burl, dont think for a minute your local Bobcat dealer is the only source for help. Jump on the Bobcat website parts catalog, find the part numbers you need and start calling dealers. Usually, the next closest dealer is as far as you will have to look. If the part is available, they will gladly put it on a brown truck to your door. Call muliple dealers and get prices. They should be very close in price. Note, there prices are not related to aftermarket prices. Just because "joe blow bearing supply" can get a bearing that is "close" for $10, does not mean Bobcat is out of line asking $30 for a part that is correct and nobody else can supply.

OP
OP
B

Burl

Burl, dont think for a minute your local Bobcat dealer is the only source for help. Jump on the Bobcat website parts catalog, find the part numbers you need and start calling dealers. Usually, the next closest dealer is as far as you will have to look. If the part is available, they will gladly put it on a brown truck to your door. Call muliple dealers and get prices. They should be very close in price. Note, there prices are not related to aftermarket prices. Just because "joe blow bearing supply" can get a bearing that is "close" for $10, does not mean Bobcat is out of line asking $30 for a part that is correct and nobody else can supply.
Hotrod1830 , you may have misunderstood me ? I said price was not the issue here ,only down time ! I would rather be able to pick things up when needed ,rather than order it and wait . And my local dealer has told me they do not want to deal with the older stuff so unless its still in stock form the past they will charge me the mark up ! they wanted $220 for the parts book on the 610. I got an old used one for $30 but could had got a new old stock one for $65 . I do still check with them ,got one set of seals from them they had in stock ,had to order the other set ,so I got their price to order ,and went ahead and ordered the other set on line for the same price as the set they had in stock, and it took the same amount of time to get the second set as it would had if I ordered from them ,and it came right to my door this way .

Latest posts