Bobcat 540 Needs engine

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Mokehed

Hey everyone, I just recently picked up a 540 with a blown kohler motor, instead of rebuilding it i'm going to replace it. I've already picked up a service manual and been studying it. I've been looking at a predator motor at harbor frieght, its 22 hp v-twin basicly its a knock off honda motor. I'm sure i'll have to do some fabricating to make work. I'm wondering if anyone has any advise. i've already searched though the forum reading everyone else's swaps but no one has used one of these motors. The one thread i read had said that the honda repower motor gets rid of the spine coupler and uses a chain drive, is that because the output shaft on the honda is higher/lower then the pump's drive shaft? Thanks

jerry

A chain coupler generally is two sprockets facing each other on the shaft ends and a double row roller chain wrapped around them for drive.

rodbuilder

Don't buy that Harbor Freight-branded engine. If you're going to spend you money on a new engien buy a Honda or Kohler and be sure to get one with cast iron sleeves in the cylinders or you're just going to buy another boat anchor. Gas engines in skid loaders get the crap run out of them, so if you're going to replace a gasser with another gasser get one with sleeved cylinders. Cheap stuff isn't good and good stuff isn't cheap!!!!

OP
OP
M

Mokehed

Don't buy that Harbor Freight-branded engine. If you're going to spend you money on a new engien buy a Honda or Kohler and be sure to get one with cast iron sleeves in the cylinders or you're just going to buy another boat anchor. Gas engines in skid loaders get the crap run out of them, so if you're going to replace a gasser with another gasser get one with sleeved cylinders. Cheap stuff isn't good and good stuff isn't cheap!!!!
I appreciate the info guys, I was thinking of using a Lovejoy set up on motor n pump or seeing if I could get a spline coupler made, I'll look into a chain coupler as well. I'm kinda getting the buggy in front the horse, I'll figure it out once I get the motor. I'm a cheap skate so I'm pretty sure im gonna get this motor from harbor freight. I can buy 2 of them for less then a can get a real honda motor for. After reading alot of reviews on the net. It's a clone of a honda gx670, guys are using them on lawn tractors, argo 6x6's, power washers, one guy is even building an airplane with one powering it. I think I'll take my chances on it. You don't get to be old n wise without being young n dumb.

reaperman

I appreciate the info guys, I was thinking of using a Lovejoy set up on motor n pump or seeing if I could get a spline coupler made, I'll look into a chain coupler as well. I'm kinda getting the buggy in front the horse, I'll figure it out once I get the motor. I'm a cheap skate so I'm pretty sure im gonna get this motor from harbor freight. I can buy 2 of them for less then a can get a real honda motor for. After reading alot of reviews on the net. It's a clone of a honda gx670, guys are using them on lawn tractors, argo 6x6's, power washers, one guy is even building an airplane with one powering it. I think I'll take my chances on it. You don't get to be old n wise without being young n dumb.
If you get the harbor freight engine, make sure you buy the extended warranty. The warranty is cheap and its free replacement (2yr) without any questions asked. With some merchandise at harbor freight an additional extended warranty can be purchased after the first extended warranty runs out, not sure on engines. I have one of there 6.5 hp engines and its been running great for years. Just make sure you throw the factory spark plugs (torch brand) in the garbage and replace with a quality plug, NGK, delco, etc. Before you even start it for the first time.

greenhouseman

Hey Mokehed I was wondering how that harbor freight motor was working out for you I know this is a old thread but I thought I would try to get your attention

Latest posts