Bobcat 444 crankshaft size

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jdonovan

My 444 has a Wisconsin 2 cylinder TFD engine. The governor weight broke off and damaged the housing. Still looking to see what other damage has been done and if this engine is fixable. If I knew what was involve with the taking off the variable speed drive sheave, I would do so and replace the engine with a Wisconsin TJD. Would like to know what size the crank shaft & key way are so that I can keep my eye out for a replacement engine. If there is an expert on removing the variable speed I could use your help. I have already been advised that it can bee damaged easily so I would like to avoid this if possible. Thanks..Joe

6brnorma

JD……guess I'm a little confused…….I thought the 444 came with a Kohler engine and later the 14.6 HP Deutz option? In your first post you said you had a THD and now you are saying it is a TFD? I don't have a manual for the TJD but the manuals I have state the crank for the TE, TF and TH are all the same part number….TJD I don't know.

OP
OP
J

jdonovan

JD……guess I'm a little confused…….I thought the 444 came with a Kohler engine and later the 14.6 HP Deutz option? In your first post you said you had a THD and now you are saying it is a TFD? I don't have a manual for the TJD but the manuals I have state the crank for the TE, TF and TH are all the same part number….TJD I don't know.
Based on the fact that the pistons went up/down at the same time I assumed it was a THD. A TJD engine has one piston at the top, the other piston is at the bottom so I ruled that out. I was speaking with a tech person today from Continental Engines, and he stated that there were also TED, TFD engines(which I didn't know). It sounded like the TFD was the earlier version of the THD. Based on my carburetor, zenith L48J, it sounded to him that I had a TFD engine. He also said that the end of the crank was different depending on the application. The original engine was replaced with the Wisconsin prior to the guy I bought it from.

6brnorma

Based on the fact that the pistons went up/down at the same time I assumed it was a THD. A TJD engine has one piston at the top, the other piston is at the bottom so I ruled that out. I was speaking with a tech person today from Continental Engines, and he stated that there were also TED, TFD engines(which I didn't know). It sounded like the TFD was the earlier version of the THD. Based on my carburetor, zenith L48J, it sounded to him that I had a TFD engine. He also said that the end of the crank was different depending on the application. The original engine was replaced with the Wisconsin prior to the guy I bought it from.
Makes sense……I'll see what I can find on the TJD or maybe someone else has that info.