Bobcat 442

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

thebobcatguy

Anyone have any info or opinions on the 442. It looks to me that they are remarkably simular to the Terex TC75 and come to think of it when I toured the Bismark excavator factory, I don't remember seeing any on the production line.

WebbCo

Well that the reason it looks like it.. its Made by Terex, AKA, Scheif (spelling) Volvo and I-R
Just different paint. Bobcat has dropped this machine and will be looking at building their own. Personally I dread these machines, Parts are OUT OF THIS WORLD! Plus it seems like they changed the machine with each and every serial number. Just my 2 cents worth.

bobcat_ron

Well that the reason it looks like it.. its Made by Terex, AKA, Scheif (spelling) Volvo and I-R
Just different paint. Bobcat has dropped this machine and will be looking at building their own. Personally I dread these machines, Parts are OUT OF THIS WORLD! Plus it seems like they changed the machine with each and every serial number. Just my 2 cents worth.
The only good news..........at least it ain't a real Bobcat excavator! mu-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!

Fishfiles

The only good news..........at least it ain't a real Bobcat excavator! mu-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!
I really hate the 442 , very expensive parts that fail alot and it's hard to work on --------I think the takeuchi TB 175 is a very good machine in that class -----I did hear that Doosan is going to fill the 442 spot with their excavator , wait and see what comes

Fishfiles

I agree with Fish, the 442 sucks. Cool name, lousy machine.
I tried for 2 hours today to get a hydraulic hose off a 442's right joy stick to the control valve , got it half way out , it must be 15 ft long , the machine doesn't have the cab tilt kit on it , I gave up and I ordered the kit today for $800 but have never installed one , sounds easy , except for come a longing the cab forward ------------------- anyone did this before

thetool

I tried for 2 hours today to get a hydraulic hose off a 442's right joy stick to the control valve , got it half way out , it must be 15 ft long , the machine doesn't have the cab tilt kit on it , I gave up and I ordered the kit today for $800 but have never installed one , sounds easy , except for come a longing the cab forward ------------------- anyone did this before
A little late, Don. I've done it a few times. It's harder to get it back together than it is to install and tilt, because of the front cab mounting bolts. They just do not want to line up when the cab swings back down. They are designed to lign up with the cab dropping straight down at assembly is my guess.
If I had a 442, I would intsall the tilt kit and leave the hinges in place, remove the studs at the front corners of the cab, and forget about the front mounts. I think. I don't see the cab bouncing aroung without the front mounts, if the hinges are in place. It should be standard, IMO.
Other than weird fittings(DIN Heavy), a girly thumb, and some prone-to-melting plasticy stuff in the engine compartment that is too close to the muffler, I don't think the 442 or it's Terex/Schaeff IR Volo equivalent is a bad machine. The owners and operators I have chatted with like them.
Yeah, parts are a killer....

Fishfiles

A little late, Don. I've done it a few times. It's harder to get it back together than it is to install and tilt, because of the front cab mounting bolts. They just do not want to line up when the cab swings back down. They are designed to lign up with the cab dropping straight down at assembly is my guess.
If I had a 442, I would intsall the tilt kit and leave the hinges in place, remove the studs at the front corners of the cab, and forget about the front mounts. I think. I don't see the cab bouncing aroung without the front mounts, if the hinges are in place. It should be standard, IMO.
Other than weird fittings(DIN Heavy), a girly thumb, and some prone-to-melting plasticy stuff in the engine compartment that is too close to the muffler, I don't think the 442 or it's Terex/Schaeff IR Volo equivalent is a bad machine. The owners and operators I have chatted with like them.
Yeah, parts are a killer....
Ya know Shane , I thought of using a grinder or a saws-all and cutting about 4 threads or so off the front studs as they are longer than need be , it would probally help with lining it back up , the front studs contact the cab when the rear is still 3 feet up in the air , or open up the holes in the cab bigger , the hidges mount flemsy and adjustment is critical and I think a few spot welds on the hindes once they are properly alinged would help to keep it that way as it seems no matter how tight you put them the hidges seem to shift , I wouldn't not put the front cabs bolts back in , if the machine laided over extremely I don't think them hinges would keep it all together very well , no bolts would affect ROPS and FLOPS and open liabillity ------------the claw is a mess , no doubt , there are two machines around here that we had a fab shop make an adjustable strut to take the place of the clyinder and it's working out great-----------the 442 is not a bad operating machine , it's working on it , most of the time it's hard and or costly -------have you ever had a leak coming out the bundle of 30 hoses with 30 tie wraps on them that passes on side of the swing motor , nothing pretty

thetool

Ya know Shane , I thought of using a grinder or a saws-all and cutting about 4 threads or so off the front studs as they are longer than need be , it would probally help with lining it back up , the front studs contact the cab when the rear is still 3 feet up in the air , or open up the holes in the cab bigger , the hidges mount flemsy and adjustment is critical and I think a few spot welds on the hindes once they are properly alinged would help to keep it that way as it seems no matter how tight you put them the hidges seem to shift , I wouldn't not put the front cabs bolts back in , if the machine laided over extremely I don't think them hinges would keep it all together very well , no bolts would affect ROPS and FLOPS and open liabillity ------------the claw is a mess , no doubt , there are two machines around here that we had a fab shop make an adjustable strut to take the place of the clyinder and it's working out great-----------the 442 is not a bad operating machine , it's working on it , most of the time it's hard and or costly -------have you ever had a leak coming out the bundle of 30 hoses with 30 tie wraps on them that passes on side of the swing motor , nothing pretty
Like a leg-thick bundle of pilot hoses? Never yet, but I have seen it and wondered how much of a job it would be to find a leaker. It sounds like you have more of these in your area.
We had one where we had a larger clamp cylinder eye and pin fabbed up. The whole clamp set-up is a joke, way under-engineered for what the machine can lift, so they naturally get torn up quick.......
Maybe you could post or send a pic of the strut, if you get a chance? No big deal, just curious.......=).

Fishfiles

Like a leg-thick bundle of pilot hoses? Never yet, but I have seen it and wondered how much of a job it would be to find a leaker. It sounds like you have more of these in your area.
We had one where we had a larger clamp cylinder eye and pin fabbed up. The whole clamp set-up is a joke, way under-engineered for what the machine can lift, so they naturally get torn up quick.......
Maybe you could post or send a pic of the strut, if you get a chance? No big deal, just curious.......=).
There are quite a few of them around , more of the Terex version , I can't post pics on this site , way to complicated for me

Fishfiles

E-mail 'em to me "taz38sup at yahoo.com.au"
The new assistant has been pressure washing her house and doing spring cleaning , wanted some time off before starting ---------I'll get a pic of the strut and e mail it