Bobcat 440B axle seal

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

lafarm

Anyone here done this? Need to replace rear axle bearings and seals dealer est. is $2000 I have manual been looking into doing it myself, Removing sprockets down in back of chain case looks like a challenging job trying to decide if I should try to do it or just pay the dealer? Appreciate any comments or advice.

Tazza

Staff member
If you have mechanical abilities, I'd give it a go. They aren't that complicated, just tight spots to work on.
Do you have a big bolt on the end of your axle hub? If so, you pop the hub off then replace the seal. If not, the axle needs to come out.

OP
OP
L

lafarm

If you have mechanical abilities, I'd give it a go. They aren't that complicated, just tight spots to work on.
Do you have a big bolt on the end of your axle hub? If so, you pop the hub off then replace the seal. If not, the axle needs to come out.
The axle needs to come out, It has just a single cover on top of chain case doesn't go back as far as rear axle guess I will take that cover off and see if it looks like I can get it done.

Tazza

Staff member
The axle needs to come out, It has just a single cover on top of chain case doesn't go back as far as rear axle guess I will take that cover off and see if it looks like I can get it done.
Sadly you will need to reach back to get to the rear axle, it can be done though.
I believe Skidroe has a 440, hopefully he can give more advise.

SkidRoe

Hi lafarm,
The easiest way to get better access to the interior to of the chain case is to remove the chain case. Very little actually connects to the chain case, principally the 6 drive motor hoses and the 2 bolts holding down the loader control valve. Then it is just the 8 bolts holding the chain case to the frame.
Lifting the rest of the machine clear of the chain case is likely the more challenging part.
HTH - SR

OP
OP
L

lafarm

Hi lafarm,
The easiest way to get better access to the interior to of the chain case is to remove the chain case. Very little actually connects to the chain case, principally the 6 drive motor hoses and the 2 bolts holding down the loader control valve. Then it is just the 8 bolts holding the chain case to the frame.
Lifting the rest of the machine clear of the chain case is likely the more challenging part.
HTH - SR
SkidRoe. I have found your right removing the chain case is about the only way to do this job, My shop don't have enough ceiling room to lift it off chain case, could use tractor loader but would be outside so not doing that. Parking it with back tires up on six inch blocks so oil goes to front and does not leak out when parked for now.