Bobcat 440 B Problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

redbarn

Hi, i have a bobcat 440 B that does not engage the starter, i turn the key to the start position and i hear a click at the solenoid. i tried to jump the solenoid and no responce from the starter. so far i have also changed the battery cable [+ ] and recharged the battery. i put in another solenoid i had {used} with same result. any thought of what is going on. i dread the fact that i will have to pull the engine { 18 hp mangnum kohler } to get to the starter,,,, again thanks.... paul

Tazza

Staff member
The problem really does sound like the starter. You can't get access to remove it without taking the engine too? seems a silly setup if you did.....

OP
OP
R

redbarn

The problem really does sound like the starter. You can't get access to remove it without taking the engine too? seems a silly setup if you did.....
well i tried everything i could think of... i dug into it and pulled the engine.... it sure needs a good cleaning .. iam also looking for a b-47 belt i think it says three star on it / any advise on this belt... thanks

Tazza

Staff member
well i tried everything i could think of... i dug into it and pulled the engine.... it sure needs a good cleaning .. iam also looking for a b-47 belt i think it says three star on it / any advise on this belt... thanks
As you know the size and section of the belt, you should be able to get one from an auto store. Even my local bearing companies have or can get most belts, especially common B section ones.

SkidRoe

Hi redbarn,
Here was my fix for the starter issue (LOL):
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=31173
Now, it is nice and easy to get at!! What Bobcat should have done in the first place IMHO.
The Kohler was always a cold blooded to get started, even from new. How is yours? I added an electric fuel pump as part of the engine swap, and it starts super easy.
You should be able to get a belt at TSC, or any other decent industrial supply. It's just a standard B-width belt. I question the 47" belt; mine always had a 49" when I had the Kohler in it.
One other thing: before installing the new belt, take the bolt out that holds the pulley on the hydraulic pumps (if you haven't already). It should give you enough room to slide the belt by the pulley hub.
Cheers,
SR

OP
OP
R

redbarn

Hi redbarn,
Here was my fix for the starter issue (LOL):
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=31173
Now, it is nice and easy to get at!! What Bobcat should have done in the first place IMHO.
The Kohler was always a cold blooded to get started, even from new. How is yours? I added an electric fuel pump as part of the engine swap, and it starts super easy.
You should be able to get a belt at TSC, or any other decent industrial supply. It's just a standard B-width belt. I question the 47" belt; mine always had a 49" when I had the Kohler in it.
One other thing: before installing the new belt, take the bolt out that holds the pulley on the hydraulic pumps (if you haven't already). It should give you enough room to slide the belt by the pulley hub.
Cheers,
SR
Thanks i pulled the engine, of course my cherry picker is 80 miles away so i had to lift it out manually. this was a great chance to clean 10 years of dirt and oil... went to carquest and got a b-47 belt. put everything back in went to get exhaust gaskets from local fleet store they only had one, i ordered online.. on hold until gaskets arrive.. i also have a electric fuel pump... this is the only so called major work i have had to do in the 10 years or so i have owened this.... funny thing starter arrive in less than two days and a couple of gaskets take a week.???? this forum has been a great source of information for me ... again thanks to everyone....