Bob-tach pivot pin and tilt cylinder pivot pin replacement

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Stephend

I have 751 Bobcat. The bolt holding the bob-tach pivot pin sheared off on the right side. The pivot pin tapered on one end. It did not appear to cause much damage in the tapered hole on the arm but three is some. The repair manual says the hole needs to be clean and honed with a tapered hone part number MEL 1233. it sounds reasonable to me. I have not priced one from Bobcat. My question is this: is there an after marketed hone that might work. Since the bob-tach is off for repairs I am going to replace the pivot pin in the tilt cylinder as well. It is a 1999 machine and I use with a tree shear on weekend clearing cedars. I know it will still be a little loose but is there any problems I need to be aware of before I do this?

Tazza

Staff member
You may not need to clean the hole up, simply installing a new pin may be good enough. Its acceptable to have a litle wear just as long as its not egg shape it still should lock up pretty well. If you think you need to clean the taper out, contact http://www.loaderpartssource.com/ they had a reamer listed a few months back it may be sold though.

OP
OP
S

Stephend

You may not need to clean the hole up, simply installing a new pin may be good enough. Its acceptable to have a litle wear just as long as its not egg shape it still should lock up pretty well. If you think you need to clean the taper out, contact http://www.loaderpartssource.com/ they had a reamer listed a few months back it may be sold though.
Thank you for the information

Tazza

Staff member
Taz. I still think you should write a book. A wonderful wealth of knowledge, not to take away anything from others on this post.
LOL it just goes to show i have been around this place far too long :)

perry

I will second the BOOK deal!
I'll third the book deal..... I have free lifetime flight benefits on Delta Air Lines (retired), one day. when I can tolerate the 18 hour flight (%%$@#%), and Tazza doesn't mind, I might just fly down and say hello.

Tazza

Staff member
I'll third the book deal..... I have free lifetime flight benefits on Delta Air Lines (retired), one day. when I can tolerate the 18 hour flight (%%$@#%), and Tazza doesn't mind, I might just fly down and say hello.
hehe, you are more than welcome!

thetool

hehe, you are welcome too Ken!
I offer to carry the boss' suit cases when they go to America, they say my services are not required :(
OOH OOH can I come with?
I have always been fascinated with Australia, but I watch too much discovery channel, and I don't think I'd get a moments sleep for fears and phobias, for example, a funnel-web spider crawling into my ear and deciding that my eardrum was a threat worthy of its spring-loaded , saber-like fangs.....
Steve Irwin was my hero, but if something can happen to that guy, it could happen to anyone.
It would be my luck to get separated from the pack in the outback, and find out the hard way that some giant man-eating marsupial cousin of the common house-mouse was not so extinct after all.
I shall remain in the safety of the loving arms of my mother-country, where the simple dangers of drive-by shootings, exploding next-door meth labs, passenger-laden cruise missiles(not really funny) and falling skyscrapers are more easily dealt with.....

Tazza

Staff member
OOH OOH can I come with?
I have always been fascinated with Australia, but I watch too much discovery channel, and I don't think I'd get a moments sleep for fears and phobias, for example, a funnel-web spider crawling into my ear and deciding that my eardrum was a threat worthy of its spring-loaded , saber-like fangs.....
Steve Irwin was my hero, but if something can happen to that guy, it could happen to anyone.
It would be my luck to get separated from the pack in the outback, and find out the hard way that some giant man-eating marsupial cousin of the common house-mouse was not so extinct after all.
I shall remain in the safety of the loving arms of my mother-country, where the simple dangers of drive-by shootings, exploding next-door meth labs, passenger-laden cruise missiles(not really funny) and falling skyscrapers are more easily dealt with.....
LOL Shane, i haven't been attacked by any "nasties" just yet.
As for the wear, i will be posting details in the next few weeks of a worn out bobtach, but the part the tapered pins run inside the bobtach, not the arm. I have 2 machines that the IDIOTS that owned them, never used grease and the wear was so bad you couldn't just replace the bushings and pins. I ended up cutting the old boss out of the bobtach its self, and making a new one with suitable bushings. I have made the boss' and pins but I'm still making the bushings to fit the boss. It then needs to be put in the arms and welded in place so it all sits straight. Waiting on a tap to arrive for the thread inside the pins. Its a job in progress, but I'm getting there.

skidsteer.ca

LOL Shane, i haven't been attacked by any "nasties" just yet.
As for the wear, i will be posting details in the next few weeks of a worn out bobtach, but the part the tapered pins run inside the bobtach, not the arm. I have 2 machines that the IDIOTS that owned them, never used grease and the wear was so bad you couldn't just replace the bushings and pins. I ended up cutting the old boss out of the bobtach its self, and making a new one with suitable bushings. I have made the boss' and pins but I'm still making the bushings to fit the boss. It then needs to be put in the arms and welded in place so it all sits straight. Waiting on a tap to arrive for the thread inside the pins. Its a job in progress, but I'm getting there.
For bushing I used ones availble from Timpkin bearings that had the correct id for the pin and machine the new boss I was welding in to match it od.
As for the taper in the arms, I'd clean it up a bit and if it does not look to bad, just try a new pin with locktite on the taper portion. Be sure to retorque the bolt a few times.
Also shim any side to side slop of the qa between the lift arms out. Not sure why all loaders seem to have the side slop, it just wears the pins faster.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
For bushing I used ones availble from Timpkin bearings that had the correct id for the pin and machine the new boss I was welding in to match it od.
As for the taper in the arms, I'd clean it up a bit and if it does not look to bad, just try a new pin with locktite on the taper portion. Be sure to retorque the bolt a few times.
Also shim any side to side slop of the qa between the lift arms out. Not sure why all loaders seem to have the side slop, it just wears the pins faster.
Ken
Exactly what i'm going to do too. I'm doing away with the steel cup and rubber seal. I'm going to shim the gap with nylon spacers to prevent any side play and hopefully keep the grit out better than the OEM setup.
The wear on mine was so bad i couldn't replace the bushing or install a bearing like you did. The hole was so flogged out it was insane. I have a bit of the old boss i can take a picture of, but its a little messy after i cut it with the plasma to get it out.
Either way, hopefully it will be back to normal in a few weeks when i get all the work done and zap it back into place. The new pins and bushings will need to get heat treated too, 4140 steel.