bob cat 853 fuel tank issues

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dmelicious

hey everyone. i own a bobcat 853. its around a 1994. anyhow, the fuel tank is a mess. i replaced the screen assembly inside the tank and it worked well for a while, but now its clogged again. what i need to know is if i can just use the line in the tank minus the filter at the end, and maybe put in an inline filter easier to access and change when it gets clogged? also, how hard is it to take the tank out, and clean or replace it? what are my options?

Tazza

Staff member
I think removing the tank is a big job. The way i'd try would be to drain the tank with a hose while dragging it around the bottom of the tank in an effort to collect what crap you can. Collect the fuel and simply let it sit to separate the un-wanted stuff.
You could try an in-line filter, much easier to replace! I'm not too sure if loss of prime will be an issue or not as you will be removing your one way valve from the tank.

skidboy

I think removing the tank is a big job. The way i'd try would be to drain the tank with a hose while dragging it around the bottom of the tank in an effort to collect what crap you can. Collect the fuel and simply let it sit to separate the un-wanted stuff.
You could try an in-line filter, much easier to replace! I'm not too sure if loss of prime will be an issue or not as you will be removing your one way valve from the tank.
The fuel tank has a drain plug.Look from the back under your machine and you should see a plate approx. 6" x 2" that is attached by 3 bolts.When you remove that plate you will find a drain plug for the fuel tank and a drain plug for the chaincase.The easiest way i have found to remove the plug is to attach a pair of lock pliers to the steel plug and pull.The steel plug has barbs on it which hold it in the rubber bush.You will probably need a new bush,depends if you damage it removing the plug.

OP
OP
D

dmelicious

The fuel tank has a drain plug.Look from the back under your machine and you should see a plate approx. 6" x 2" that is attached by 3 bolts.When you remove that plate you will find a drain plug for the fuel tank and a drain plug for the chaincase.The easiest way i have found to remove the plug is to attach a pair of lock pliers to the steel plug and pull.The steel plug has barbs on it which hold it in the rubber bush.You will probably need a new bush,depends if you damage it removing the plug.
thanks alot, i will check that out tomorrow.

bobcat_ron

unfortunately i have no plat to remove under the machine. it is all 1 piece. any other ideas???????
Are you sure you don't? Get right under it and look, some models they used counter sunk bolts and the plate might just be scratched, there has to be a drain under there.

OP
OP
D

dmelicious

Are you sure you don't? Get right under it and look, some models they used counter sunk bolts and the plate might just be scratched, there has to be a drain under there.
there doesnt seem to be one. all i can se is a few counter sunk areas here they have a pin type of a thing joining the skid plates together. i see no plate that can come off at all. just the front and rear skid plate. i am not thinking i want to remove the whole skid plate assembly. my model and serial # is a bobcat 853 512817616. please help. thanks fellas.

bobcat_ron

there doesnt seem to be one. all i can se is a few counter sunk areas here they have a pin type of a thing joining the skid plates together. i see no plate that can come off at all. just the front and rear skid plate. i am not thinking i want to remove the whole skid plate assembly. my model and serial # is a bobcat 853 512817616. please help. thanks fellas.
If the skid plate is a 2 piece set up, take the rear one off, I'll bet my left eye there's a plug under that cover.

Fishfiles

Sounds like the plate has already been sheard off , there are two recess holes almost in the middle of the two back tires on the angled plate , right where the flat plate of the bottom of the machine hits the angle , you probally have to dig the dirt out with a screw driver -----take the screen off the pick up tube and throw it away , get a new style hard plastic pickup tube from the dealer , drain and flush the tank thru the drain plug on the bottom of the tank , the motor has to come out to get the tank out

OP
OP
D

dmelicious

Sounds like the plate has already been sheard off , there are two recess holes almost in the middle of the two back tires on the angled plate , right where the flat plate of the bottom of the machine hits the angle , you probally have to dig the dirt out with a screw driver -----take the screen off the pick up tube and throw it away , get a new style hard plastic pickup tube from the dealer , drain and flush the tank thru the drain plug on the bottom of the tank , the motor has to come out to get the tank out
after u drain the tank, what is the best way of flushing the tank. do i put any special product inside or just flush with water????????? also the new pick up tubes they sell, do they have a screen? what are they like. thanks fellas i am really appreciative of all your help.

bobcat_ron

after u drain the tank, what is the best way of flushing the tank. do i put any special product inside or just flush with water????????? also the new pick up tubes they sell, do they have a screen? what are they like. thanks fellas i am really appreciative of all your help.
My dad always used Methyl Hydrate to flush fuel tanks out, works great.

Fishfiles

I wouldn't flush with water , I'd use diesel , the new pickup tube is made of hard plastic and doen't use a screen

Latest posts