Blue Devil Hydraulic Stop leak

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kensteer

Have any of you tried Blue Devil brand Hydraulic stop leak with any success? I just added a quart of this expensive stuff to my tank. It makes some pretty bold claims. I have ran the machine for maybe and hour and a half. Still leaking. The bottle says to run it two or three hours before leaks will stop. But if the leak is coming from a compression fitting, I would think it will not do any good there. Not sure where my machine is leaking. My best guess; after degreasing and pressure washing, is that it is coming from the hydrastatic pump.

brdgbldr

I've only ever tried products like that in the auto industry. These type of products soften and swell certain materials that seals are made of. A lot of high end oils already have a similar chemical in them to keep the seals from drying out.

Your leak could be something that can not be fixed with one of these products. The key is to figure out where the leak is. Sometimes that is the hardest part.

Keep in mind when looking for the leak that the fluid can be spraying or running down.I had a pinhole leak in a high pressure line that was sending fluid like a squirt gun all the way to the other end of the machine.

cdmccul

Don't to to find a high pressure leak with your hands! Use a sheet of corrugated cardboard to locate spraying leaks!

Jyuma1

I recently replumbed my backhoe. The supplier where I get my high-pressure hoses told me that high-pressure hydraulic hoses have a life of 10 years. When I told him I've owned my backhoe for more than 30 years and just now saw the need to change the hoses, he told me to buy a Lottery Ticket. "With your kind of luck, you're a sure winner". Hahahaha.

But seriously... I have never known any of those "stop leak" products, be they for coolant, motor oil or hydro leaks, to be worth the plastic bottle they come in. However, I have used products added to those mediums, that glow a nice blue color under ultra-violet light. They are a good tool to use to find the leak, where the offending hose, fitting or gasket, can be replaced, which is the only permanent fix. Well... until it breaks again in 10 or 20 years.

slinger

I have a large auger job half finished. The auger head seal started to leak fairly profusely. I put a 12 oz. bottle of Rear Main Seal stop leak in.
Ran it 30 seconds and it quit leaking. Worked five more hours with no leak.
According to the label, part of the stop leak's composition is rubber.
I'll finish the job and replace the seal in the 15H auger head.
Oh, I used the Rear Main Seal stop leak because the 743 uses 10-30 motor oil as hydraulic fluid.

cdmccul

I have a large auger job half finished. The auger head seal started to leak fairly profusely. I put a 12 oz. bottle of Rear Main Seal stop leak in.
Ran it 30 seconds and it quit leaking. Worked five more hours with no leak.
According to the label, part of the stop leak's composition is rubber.
I'll finish the job and replace the seal in the 15H auger head.
Oh, I used the Rear Main Seal stop leak because the 743 uses 10-30 motor oil as hydraulic fluid.
Interesting! Does the auger oil share with the skidder's full oil system though?

slinger

Interesting! Does the auger oil share with the skidder's full oil system though?
The oil in the pan of the engine is separate from the oil in the hydraulic system, even though it's the same kind of oil.
The auger runs off the auxiliary hydraulic system. (those pesky flat face couplers up front)

slinger

I recently replumbed my backhoe. The supplier where I get my high-pressure hoses told me that high-pressure hydraulic hoses have a life of 10 years. When I told him I've owned my backhoe for more than 30 years and just now saw the need to change the hoses, he told me to buy a Lottery Ticket. "With your kind of luck, you're a sure winner". Hahahaha.

But seriously... I have never known any of those "stop leak" products, be they for coolant, motor oil or hydro leaks, to be worth the plastic bottle they come in. However, I have used products added to those mediums, that glow a nice blue color under ultra-violet light. They are a good tool to use to find the leak, where the offending hose, fitting or gasket, can be replaced, which is the only permanent fix. Well... until it breaks again in 10 or 20 years.
He could sell alot more hoses if the life span was five years. :) Ah, salesmen.

Latest posts