Best way to shut down a diesel

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

2COR517

Just curious if you guys have any thoughts on this. I have a JD 170 with an Isuzu diesel. It is currently configured with a choke to shut down. Does this offer any advantages over a fuel solenoid? I would estimate the motor is at least 20 years old. It has a mechanical lift pump if that matters.
Palmer

Tazza

Staff member
Sorry, this should have been in All Other Brands. Can someone move it?
There should be a fuel shot off there somewhere... Choking it like that can't be good for the engine. I had a Deutz that you needed to throttle rite back and it shut down that way, could yours do that too?
It may be a standard thing to turn off that way, but seems odd to me.

Fishfiles

There should be a fuel shot off there somewhere... Choking it like that can't be good for the engine. I had a Deutz that you needed to throttle rite back and it shut down that way, could yours do that too?
It may be a standard thing to turn off that way, but seems odd to me.
I have seen emergency shut down on the air inlet on engines but there was always another way of killing the engine , either by linkage or an electrical fuel shut off either internal or external , I think I remember old time mechanics I worked wth saying something like killing the motor with the emergency kill was " sucking the guts out it" , hows about it Old Machinist is that a good olde saying

OldMachinist

I have seen emergency shut down on the air inlet on engines but there was always another way of killing the engine , either by linkage or an electrical fuel shut off either internal or external , I think I remember old time mechanics I worked wth saying something like killing the motor with the emergency kill was " sucking the guts out it" , hows about it Old Machinist is that a good olde saying
That's a good old saying and likely true. Choking it to shut down is like running with a plugged air cleaner if it can't draw in air from the intake the vacuum in the cylinders will try to suck it out of the crankcase past the rings and valve seals. When you do this on a gasoline engine you'll see blue smoke the next time it's started because of the oil it sucked into the cylinders.

OP
OP

2COR517

That's a good old saying and likely true. Choking it to shut down is like running with a plugged air cleaner if it can't draw in air from the intake the vacuum in the cylinders will try to suck it out of the crankcase past the rings and valve seals. When you do this on a gasoline engine you'll see blue smoke the next time it's started because of the oil it sucked into the cylinders.
Thanks for the replies. I double checked, and it definitely is a choke to shut down. There is a fitting with a butterfly where the air cleaner pipe connects to the intake manifold. I always idle way back before shut down, and it stops immediately. This appears to be the "factory" setup, and I don't see anything obvious on the injection pump where a shutdown cable should be connected. I'm pretty sure my friends JD 1070 with a Yanmar 3 cyl has the same setup. I am sure that machine is factory original. Should I add a fuel solenoid? What happens if I am forgetfull and try to start against a closed fuel solenoid? I guess I would need to put in a regular keyed ignition switch, or a relay to not allow glowplug/starter unless fuel is on.
Palmer

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the replies. I double checked, and it definitely is a choke to shut down. There is a fitting with a butterfly where the air cleaner pipe connects to the intake manifold. I always idle way back before shut down, and it stops immediately. This appears to be the "factory" setup, and I don't see anything obvious on the injection pump where a shutdown cable should be connected. I'm pretty sure my friends JD 1070 with a Yanmar 3 cyl has the same setup. I am sure that machine is factory original. Should I add a fuel solenoid? What happens if I am forgetfull and try to start against a closed fuel solenoid? I guess I would need to put in a regular keyed ignition switch, or a relay to not allow glowplug/starter unless fuel is on.
Palmer
Adding a fuel shut dolenoid to the fuel line won't work, it will shut down sure, but then you will need to re-prime it when you want to start it again.
If you said it stops instantly keep using the choke, you did it rite by idling rite back though.

skidsteer.ca

Adding a fuel shut dolenoid to the fuel line won't work, it will shut down sure, but then you will need to re-prime it when you want to start it again.
If you said it stops instantly keep using the choke, you did it rite by idling rite back though.
If its designed that way I'd just leave it. Its how old now and still running fine. There is a big difference between choking it to stop the engine from a idle and working a engine with restricted air. In a diesel engine the air flow helps cool the combustion process, a lack of air with the same fuel metering makes the exhaust temps run hot and extra heat is not what you want.
As for stopping it with a valve in the fuel line that may work fine, but I know on a detroit diesel we tried this and the engine would run for several minutes b4 it ran out of fuel. You engine may behave differently but I would not be too surprised if it ran on too. As Tazza mentioned it may have start up issues after too.
Don't fix what ain't broke imo.
Ken