Best CTL for working on slopes?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

goobz

Hi, I'm a newbie so go easy on me (please)! I live in Southwestern Colorado at 9300 ft on 200 acres. I am looking into a used Compact Track Loader with 80+ HP and High Flow Hydraulics. I am leaning towards a tracked machine as everything I've read here and everything that people have told me says that the is no disputing the fact that tracked machines work the best on steep hill sides? My property is mostly hill side. I will be using it for brush hogging, snow blowing, snow plowing, fencing (post holes), cleaning road ditches(dozer blade) and more. I allready know that tires and chains are better for plowing and blowing if you are on ice. Luckily we rarely have ice here and the few times that we do get ice would not out weigh the advantages of being able to take the machine to the back reaches of my land. Suspension type undercarridge(ASV) vs. Rigid type undercarridge? Okay, they say that the ASV style is more maintenance intensive as well as more expensive to maintain? I am still leaning towards this type, as from my reasearch they are more stable on hills and better for plowing. As I'm just a land owner and not running a business with the machine it will not be seeing alot of hours. Do you agree with my logic? I was considering something with the Loegering VTS tracks (Cat 268B or any other 80HP machine with the VTS) so I could change back and forth between tracks and tires in the winter. Seems like a pretty good option. Then I was told that the VTS system will not be as stable as an ASV system? What do you think? Also the general consensus around here is that the actual ASV is the most stable machine out there? As opposed to a Cat machine with the ASV undercarridge or the rigid undercarridge types(Bobcat, Mustang, etc...) The ASV is very popular in the forestry industry for its ability to go into steep terrain with the Bad A*~ Fecon mulcher(out of my price range), and it has a really good High Flow Hydraulic system. Please keep in mind that the machine I end up buying will see very limited use, maybe 100-150 hours per year. So alot of the issues that those of you who have businesses have will not be too much of a concern. What I'm really looking for is a machine that can do all the normal skid steer stuff and go to the far reaches of my property and do them there too. Thanx in advance, I really appreciate all of your input, advice and experiences! Pe@ce Goobz PS I did read the "How steep of a slope can a T300 handle?" post but it is pretty specific to the T300. PPS I tried breaking this post into paragraphs to make it a little easier to follow but no luck Sorry!

mllud

I dont know enough about tracked machines too advise you on what to buy. I can help with how to get paragraphs. First go to your (Profile) and make sure you have the HTLM box checked at the very bottom of the page.
To get the type to step down for a paragraph. Press the (Enter) button.
Good luck with your search. There are a lot of knowlegable members about tracks. Mike

bobcat_ron

I dont know enough about tracked machines too advise you on what to buy. I can help with how to get paragraphs. First go to your (Profile) and make sure you have the HTLM box checked at the very bottom of the page.
To get the type to step down for a paragraph. Press the (Enter) button.
Good luck with your search. There are a lot of knowlegable members about tracks. Mike
Over on Lawnsite.com there is a dude from the PNW that owns a Deere 322CTL, he has posted a pic of his unit driving sidehill style while mowing, but even at that angle, his engine oil pressure might be suffering. Going straight up and down is still best.
The Cat/ASV system is really good for being somewhat of a mountain goat, they stick like glue to any surface but they don't like rocks. The rubber is a little softer and can get damaged fast if you aren't careful.
If I had to do it all over again, Takeuchi would have been my choice or a narrow track Cat 279C would fit the bill, but the Cat would win out with the suspended undercarriage.

OP
OP
G

goobz

Thanx for the info Bocat_Ron and Mullud!
Is there another site you guys might recomend posting this question on? I just don't seem to be gettting any answers from anyone who gets out there on mountainsides.
Goobz
PS Nice paragraphs this time =)

mllud

Thanx for the info Bocat_Ron and Mullud!
Is there another site you guys might recomend posting this question on? I just don't seem to be gettting any answers from anyone who gets out there on mountainsides.
Goobz
PS Nice paragraphs this time =)
There is a Forum called H.E.F. (Heavy Equipment Forum)
http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/
Things get a little wild over there sometimes. Im sure theres a lot of good knowledge to be shared. I have not seen Ken , skidsteer.ca in a few days.I think he would have some input for you. Good luck Mike

bobcat_ron

There is a Forum called H.E.F. (Heavy Equipment Forum)
http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/
Things get a little wild over there sometimes. Im sure theres a lot of good knowledge to be shared. I have not seen Ken , skidsteer.ca in a few days.I think he would have some input for you. Good luck Mike
The mods on HEF are total nazi's, I got banned 3 times and there are at least 5 other members that got banned for tiny little things.

Be carefull..