Battery Replacement Options

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

DU'ER

Hey everyone, I found this site a couple of months ago and I love it! It seems the cold weather has just about killed the battery in my 751. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for replacement (other than OEM)? TIA, Duane...Utah

skidsteer.ca

I think just about any battery would work fine. Brand is no too important. My 93 753 used a group 31 size batt, original lasted 8 years and i replaced it with an interstate. Strangely it had a larger batt box then my current 773 g (2000) and the 773 had the batt change already when i got it a year ago. If you put on a lot of hours go for a commercial battery, if you use is more intermittant then just buy a passenger/light truck battery. In the largest cold cranking amp capacity that will fit. Unless you really like paying extra to see "bobcat" written on it when you open the back door. ;)

OP
OP
D

DU'ER

I think just about any battery would work fine. Brand is no too important. My 93 753 used a group 31 size batt, original lasted 8 years and i replaced it with an interstate. Strangely it had a larger batt box then my current 773 g (2000) and the 773 had the batt change already when i got it a year ago. If you put on a lot of hours go for a commercial battery, if you use is more intermittant then just buy a passenger/light truck battery. In the largest cold cranking amp capacity that will fit. Unless you really like paying extra to see "bobcat" written on it when you open the back door. ;)
Thanks skidsteer, I'm looking into the Optima Red Top right now. Pricey, but I run them in my truck and love them.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks skidsteer, I'm looking into the Optima Red Top right now. Pricey, but I run them in my truck and love them.
I agree, go for one with the highest CCA rating you can. There are 2 different styles which i can't remember waht they are labled as but one is for general purpose like a truck the other is for earth moving. The earth moving ones can handle vibrations/impacts ALOT better without damaging plates, i think they refer to it as bonded element. These are what you would use if you use your machine commercially but if its just for pottering around your yard you can use a standard truck battery.

753g

I agree, go for one with the highest CCA rating you can. There are 2 different styles which i can't remember waht they are labled as but one is for general purpose like a truck the other is for earth moving. The earth moving ones can handle vibrations/impacts ALOT better without damaging plates, i think they refer to it as bonded element. These are what you would use if you use your machine commercially but if its just for pottering around your yard you can use a standard truck battery.
My 753 f series uses a BCA Group size 27 battery, I run a standard hd truck battery in mine, and the machine gets used at all kind of exreme angles with no probs. If you're going to intentionally beat the snot out of the machine i'd go with the prior ^ look up suggested gel cell orbital type battery. they can't loose fluid and you can drop those things from 30' in the air and they'll still work. as far as CCA 600 is more than enough I live in a very cold climate, and have no problems with mine, another point to be made the lower the CCA the less concentrated the electrolyte and the longer the battery's reserve time will be. (VERY IMPORTANT ON A DIESEL got to run those glow plugs!) And typically the life span over all of the battery will be longer with a lower CCA rating, takes longer for plates to become sulfided. FYI I went to school for auto mechanics and have worked in several shops since. this is not made up stuff.

OP
OP
D

DU'ER

My 753 f series uses a BCA Group size 27 battery, I run a standard hd truck battery in mine, and the machine gets used at all kind of exreme angles with no probs. If you're going to intentionally beat the snot out of the machine i'd go with the prior ^ look up suggested gel cell orbital type battery. they can't loose fluid and you can drop those things from 30' in the air and they'll still work. as far as CCA 600 is more than enough I live in a very cold climate, and have no problems with mine, another point to be made the lower the CCA the less concentrated the electrolyte and the longer the battery's reserve time will be. (VERY IMPORTANT ON A DIESEL got to run those glow plugs!) And typically the life span over all of the battery will be longer with a lower CCA rating, takes longer for plates to become sulfided. FYI I went to school for auto mechanics and have worked in several shops since. this is not made up stuff.
Thanks for the info guys, I keep a BatteryMinder on it all winter so sulphation shouldn't be a problem. Maybe the Optima yellow top might be better than the red top????

Latest posts