bad towing ???

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

treecutter

I have an old bobcat 730 heavy duty that was towed about 1/4 mile, now that I have it running again, it works fine at first startup but after the oil warms up it growls and then doesn't want to move in either direction. The bucket hyds still work fine. I was wondering if I could have damaged the high pressure valve springs or replenishing valves or something like that by improper towing ??? Thanks for any help I can get.

Bobcatdan

They are not really suppose to be towed except very short distance very slowly. Can't say you would hurt towing it more.

Tazza

Staff member
They are not really suppose to be towed except very short distance very slowly. Can't say you would hurt towing it more.
I'm assuming this machine has a square block on the hydraulic pump, there are 3 hoses on the left side, the middle one, behind the fitting has a bronze filter. If you haven't cleaned or replaced it, do it. It may solve your issue.

OP
OP
T

treecutter

I'm assuming this machine has a square block on the hydraulic pump, there are 3 hoses on the left side, the middle one, behind the fitting has a bronze filter. If you haven't cleaned or replaced it, do it. It may solve your issue.
Yes, I replaced the bronze filter and all others I could find, didn't help. It amazes me how well it works till the oil warms up. ( about ten minutes or so ) It starts growling and the more I try to use it the less it will move. But , the bucket still works fine. Thanks again

Tazza

Staff member
Yes, I replaced the bronze filter and all others I could find, didn't help. It amazes me how well it works till the oil warms up. ( about ten minutes or so ) It starts growling and the more I try to use it the less it will move. But , the bucket still works fine. Thanks again
You may need to touch up the wear plates in the drive pumps. When the machine is cold, the oil is thicker than when it's warm. The thinner it gets, the more it by-passes the worn areas which will reduce your power and makes noise from cavetation (bubbles in the oil)
You can generally touch the wear plates up with a sheet of glass and wet and dry sand paper. If the wear is too deep, new plates aren't that expensive.
Keep in mind that you actually have 3 pumps in the machine, one for the left side drive, one for the right and one for lift and tilt. That's why your drive may not work properly but the lift/tilt works fine.

OP
OP
T

treecutter

You may need to touch up the wear plates in the drive pumps. When the machine is cold, the oil is thicker than when it's warm. The thinner it gets, the more it by-passes the worn areas which will reduce your power and makes noise from cavetation (bubbles in the oil)
You can generally touch the wear plates up with a sheet of glass and wet and dry sand paper. If the wear is too deep, new plates aren't that expensive.
Keep in mind that you actually have 3 pumps in the machine, one for the left side drive, one for the right and one for lift and tilt. That's why your drive may not work properly but the lift/tilt works fine.
Thanks for the info, Tazza. Will be a while before I can tear it down but now I know what to do. I quess the wear will be noticeable ? As my machine is pretty old I hope the plates will be available. Thanks again

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the info, Tazza. Will be a while before I can tear it down but now I know what to do. I quess the wear will be noticeable ? As my machine is pretty old I hope the plates will be available. Thanks again
Parts are still easily available, wear plates last time i got them were $52 each. The marks aren't always easily seen, you generally need to drag your finger nail over it to feel for any scores.