Backhoe buckets

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Chandler

I have a 609 Bradco Backhoe and I would like to find a larger bucket for it, hopefully a good used one. I have been searching on the internet for one and they aren't any within driving range of my area. Anyone know which other brand buckets will fit on it? I was informed by a Bradco Rep. a few days ago that Bobcat buckets won't work on it. Thanks in advance!

TriHonu

I also have a Bradco 609. I haven't found any other buckets with the same mount. Bradco buckets have removable bushings in the bucket ears. The holes the the ears are bored the same, however the bushings come in two different inside diameters.
I found this out when I picked up a used 12" Bradco bucket. Bradco Tech Support was helpful in getting me the larger ID bushings to fit the 609.
This 24" bucket has been for sale for a while. I spoke to them a while back . You might get them to come down on the price and they will ship.
I found a like new Bobcat 24" bucket cheap enough for me to decide to cut off the ears and make some Bradco ears for it.
If you find any other buckets that will fit the 609, let me know.

OP
OP
C

Chandler

I also have a Bradco 609. I haven't found any other buckets with the same mount. Bradco buckets have removable bushings in the bucket ears. The holes the the ears are bored the same, however the bushings come in two different inside diameters.
I found this out when I picked up a used 12" Bradco bucket. Bradco Tech Support was helpful in getting me the larger ID bushings to fit the 609.
This 24" bucket has been for sale for a while. I spoke to them a while back . You might get them to come down on the price and they will ship.
I found a like new Bobcat 24" bucket cheap enough for me to decide to cut off the ears and make some Bradco ears for it.
If you find any other buckets that will fit the 609, let me know.
I checked it out & it looks like a good bucket. They have another one cheaper that has a tooth missing. I'll check on them both Monday. The 18" bucket I have digs real good but I would like to move more dirt faster. I think the bradco will be able to handle a the 24" bucket in good dirt but what about the 36" bucket. Do you or anyone else have any experience using it? Just wondering how well the Bradco would handle it. I think my 773 would handle it fine. Thanks TriHonu!

TriHonu

I checked it out & it looks like a good bucket. They have another one cheaper that has a tooth missing. I'll check on them both Monday. The 18" bucket I have digs real good but I would like to move more dirt faster. I think the bradco will be able to handle a the 24" bucket in good dirt but what about the 36" bucket. Do you or anyone else have any experience using it? Just wondering how well the Bradco would handle it. I think my 773 would handle it fine. Thanks TriHonu!
I don't have any experiance with the 609 on buckets over 24". I'm in a silt/clay mix with little to no rock. Digs well if there is some moisture. When dry it is quite hard and difficult to penetrate.
Bradco makes buckets for the 500 and 600 series up to 38" wide.

Bucket size

Struck cap. ft.³

Heaped cap. ft.³

Weight lbs

Number of teeth*

12''

16''

18''

20''

24''

34''

36''

38''

* buckets available without teeth
It is not the weight of the material in the bucket, it is whether you have enough power to get the bucket teeth to penatrate the material. Wet soil is about 2700 lbs per loose yard. So a heaped 36 bucket carries about 614 lbs of material, the 18" bucket about 298 lbs.
7 teeth vs the 4 teeth on your 18" will take more force. If you have easy digging conditions in your area, I would think you should be ok with a 36" and you'll be moving near twice the material per cycle. But that only applies if it will penatrate and scoop near the same speed as the 18". Remember that 36" is probably more that half the width of your loader bucket! You might also call Bradco for their opinion.
I have only seen a couple wide bucket on mini-excavators in my area. They were smooth edge and being used for grading and mucking ditches.
In a 2006 Bradco catalog, I did find the adapter below that allowed you to use C&P #26, and #27 style buckets. (Same as WAIN-ROY). But at $885 I wonder how many they actually sold?
BucketAdapter.jpg

TriHonu

I don't have any experiance with the 609 on buckets over 24". I'm in a silt/clay mix with little to no rock. Digs well if there is some moisture. When dry it is quite hard and difficult to penetrate.
Bradco makes buckets for the 500 and 600 series up to 38" wide.

Bucket size

Struck cap. ft.³

Heaped cap. ft.³

Weight lbs

Number of teeth*

12''

16''

18''

20''

24''

34''

36''

38''

* buckets available without teeth
It is not the weight of the material in the bucket, it is whether you have enough power to get the bucket teeth to penatrate the material. Wet soil is about 2700 lbs per loose yard. So a heaped 36 bucket carries about 614 lbs of material, the 18" bucket about 298 lbs.
7 teeth vs the 4 teeth on your 18" will take more force. If you have easy digging conditions in your area, I would think you should be ok with a 36" and you'll be moving near twice the material per cycle. But that only applies if it will penatrate and scoop near the same speed as the 18". Remember that 36" is probably more that half the width of your loader bucket! You might also call Bradco for their opinion.
I have only seen a couple wide bucket on mini-excavators in my area. They were smooth edge and being used for grading and mucking ditches.
In a 2006 Bradco catalog, I did find the adapter below that allowed you to use C&P #26, and #27 style buckets. (Same as WAIN-ROY). But at $885 I wonder how many they actually sold?
I just took a look at that 24" with the missing tooth. The shipping will probably cost more than the bucket! I would ask them to check the size and condition of the bushings and whether there are any cracks.
I got a steal on my 12" bucket. Found an ad on CraigsList for two mini-excavator buckets $25 each. The seller did not know what they fit. That Bradco mount is easy to spot and the bucket still had most of the original paint. I spent a little more since I had to buy a full set of bushings. I also replaced the grease sleeve and ordered a bucket pin and two extra bushings for shelf stock. IIRC 10 bushings, 1 sleeve and 1 pin was around $150.

OP
OP
C

Chandler

I just took a look at that 24" with the missing tooth. The shipping will probably cost more than the bucket! I would ask them to check the size and condition of the bushings and whether there are any cracks.
I got a steal on my 12" bucket. Found an ad on CraigsList for two mini-excavator buckets $25 each. The seller did not know what they fit. That Bradco mount is easy to spot and the bucket still had most of the original paint. I spent a little more since I had to buy a full set of bushings. I also replaced the grease sleeve and ordered a bucket pin and two extra bushings for shelf stock. IIRC 10 bushings, 1 sleeve and 1 pin was around $150.
Well the 24" might be better all the way around. I think if I got a 36" I would be changing back and forth with the 18" pretty often when going from hard rocky soil to soft soil. And we have both in our area. For every four buckets, I would be gaining one, it being 6" wider. Also I don't think it would take much more digging power for it either. I think the New Holland buckets would work on the Bradco's. They are made by them. While looking for a bucket, I saw a New Holland backhoe attachment with Bradco stamped on it. But I would call Bradco before I bought one just to make sure. Another thing, I tried to change buckets a while back and I could not get the pin out. Any tips on this would be helpful. Thanks!

TriHonu

Well the 24" might be better all the way around. I think if I got a 36" I would be changing back and forth with the 18" pretty often when going from hard rocky soil to soft soil. And we have both in our area. For every four buckets, I would be gaining one, it being 6" wider. Also I don't think it would take much more digging power for it either. I think the New Holland buckets would work on the Bradco's. They are made by them. While looking for a bucket, I saw a New Holland backhoe attachment with Bradco stamped on it. But I would call Bradco before I bought one just to make sure. Another thing, I tried to change buckets a while back and I could not get the pin out. Any tips on this would be helpful. Thanks!
Actually for every 3 cycles you would be gaining 1+
4 buckets with the 18" is about 12 cubic feet.
3 buckets with the 24" bucket is is about 13 cubic feet. (When you get a heaping bucket you can pile more dirt on the larger bucket opening.)
9 buckets with the 24" is about equal 13 buckets with the 18".
Bradco hoes are also sold at the Gehl dealers under the Edge brand name. My next door neighbor also has a Bradco 609 that he bought with his Gehl skid steer from the dealer. It is labeled Edge 609.
Looks like we should compare prices between Bradco, New Holland and Gehl.
As for the pin, get another pin or piece of pipe and a sledge hammer. I had to smack mine a few times from each side to loosen it up so I could drive it out. My pin had enough wear on one side that the pin was catching on the bushing. I put a pry bar under the bucket so I could wiggle it up and down while striking the pin. My worn pin was the one that goes through the stick. That is the pin I replaced.

OP
OP
C

Chandler

Actually for every 3 cycles you would be gaining 1+
4 buckets with the 18" is about 12 cubic feet.
3 buckets with the 24" bucket is is about 13 cubic feet. (When you get a heaping bucket you can pile more dirt on the larger bucket opening.)
9 buckets with the 24" is about equal 13 buckets with the 18".
Bradco hoes are also sold at the Gehl dealers under the Edge brand name. My next door neighbor also has a Bradco 609 that he bought with his Gehl skid steer from the dealer. It is labeled Edge 609.
Looks like we should compare prices between Bradco, New Holland and Gehl.
As for the pin, get another pin or piece of pipe and a sledge hammer. I had to smack mine a few times from each side to loosen it up so I could drive it out. My pin had enough wear on one side that the pin was catching on the bushing. I put a pry bar under the bucket so I could wiggle it up and down while striking the pin. My worn pin was the one that goes through the stick. That is the pin I replaced.
Thanks for breaking it down. You made it really easy to understand. Looks like the 24" bucket will make more difference than I thought. I'll try your advice on removing the bucket also. I found a new 24" Bradco bucket on ebay for about 750.00. But the used one will be okay if it's in good shape.

OP
OP
C

Chandler

Thanks for breaking it down. You made it really easy to understand. Looks like the 24" bucket will make more difference than I thought. I'll try your advice on removing the bucket also. I found a new 24" Bradco bucket on ebay for about 750.00. But the used one will be okay if it's in good shape.
I'm looking at a 24" Bradco bucket that is for sale from an individual. He has sent me pics and I need to know how to tell if it is a severe duty or a standard duty bucket. From the pics I cannot find any ID numbers on it anywhere, other than on the digging teeth. I do know that the severe duty bucket weighs about 70 lbs. more than the standard duty bucket. It looks like it's built like my 18" severe duty bucket. But just wondering if there's any way to tell from looking at the pics, since I cannot be there to check it out. Does anyone know?

TriHonu

I'm looking at a 24" Bradco bucket that is for sale from an individual. He has sent me pics and I need to know how to tell if it is a severe duty or a standard duty bucket. From the pics I cannot find any ID numbers on it anywhere, other than on the digging teeth. I do know that the severe duty bucket weighs about 70 lbs. more than the standard duty bucket. It looks like it's built like my 18" severe duty bucket. But just wondering if there's any way to tell from looking at the pics, since I cannot be there to check it out. Does anyone know?
I looked at my 609 Parts manual. The only visible differences I see are the type of bucket teeth they use.
The Severe Duty buckets show a pin on tooth where the pin runs vertically through the tooth and shank. The shanks long leg is on the top of the cutting edge.
The Standard Duty bucket teeth are a different part number and use the teeth that are peened to the shank at the rear of the tooth on both vertical sides of the tooth. The long leg of the shank is on the bottom of the cutting edge.
You got me curious, so I just walked out through the snow and took a look at both my buckets. Both of mine are Standard Duty with peened on teeth.
I took a look online and found an old Ebay auction of a 12" bucket with a bunch of pictures. I can see that bucket had pin on teeth.
This may be a an easy way to tell them apart as long as the teeth and shanks have not been changed.

OP
OP
C

Chandler

I looked at my 609 Parts manual. The only visible differences I see are the type of bucket teeth they use.
The Severe Duty buckets show a pin on tooth where the pin runs vertically through the tooth and shank. The shanks long leg is on the top of the cutting edge.
The Standard Duty bucket teeth are a different part number and use the teeth that are peened to the shank at the rear of the tooth on both vertical sides of the tooth. The long leg of the shank is on the bottom of the cutting edge.
You got me curious, so I just walked out through the snow and took a look at both my buckets. Both of mine are Standard Duty with peened on teeth.
I took a look online and found an old Ebay auction of a 12" bucket with a bunch of pictures. I can see that bucket had pin on teeth.
This may be a an easy way to tell them apart as long as the teeth and shanks have not been changed.
Thanks TriHonu for checking that out. I think you are right on with the info on the teeth. It appears in the photo the man sent me that the teeth have pins that go thru them. The only other thing is the weight and I cannot tell about that in the pic. So, I will see what I can work out on a deal with it.

Latest posts