backhoe bucket

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
My dad picked up a very good looking BH30W excavator attachment. The problem is, it is missing a bucket. Does anyone have details on pin spacing?
I'm looking at having a stab at making a bucket out of steel i have on hand. The problem is, i have no idea on the spacing of the mounting pins. The other attachment i have uses a different linking system, the main curl cylinder mounts to the bucket, this one does not directally connect.
Does anyone have details on this? or even pictures that i can use to attempt to copy the shape of the bucket? The bucket i have from the other attachment is rather worn, i would assume the shape is still the same, but it is older than dirt.

jerry

Tazza , is that the one made by Cat? I found a picture of a backhoe at auction but could not copy it and the bucket linkage was not real clear.

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
http://www.liveauctionworld.com/Caterpillar-BH30W-Backhoe-Attachment_i11137040
this picture shows the linkage
Jerry - yep, the exact same one. I think i saw that image, but it doesn't really show a scale for the spacing. I assume the closer the spacing, the less force it can put out because of the leverage.

jerry

Jerry - yep, the exact same one. I think i saw that image, but it doesn't really show a scale for the spacing. I assume the closer the spacing, the less force it can put out because of the leverage.
If you knew the size of the cylinder rod you could come pretty close by scaling the picture but there has to be some one here who has one. I did run across another post from 08 with the same question but he got no response either. I assume your other hoe is like mine in that the rod connects right to the bucket. Have you hung it on a machine yet? Do you think that operating from the machine seat will be comfortable? I see that one has a aux line on the stick for thumb also.

jerry

If you knew the size of the cylinder rod you could come pretty close by scaling the picture but there has to be some one here who has one. I did run across another post from 08 with the same question but he got no response either. I assume your other hoe is like mine in that the rod connects right to the bucket. Have you hung it on a machine yet? Do you think that operating from the machine seat will be comfortable? I see that one has a aux line on the stick for thumb also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ9_YeDLNXg
video of your hoe Tazza , it looks like a nice unit, lots of height / reach. I see that linkage on all cat excavators and still don't see the advantage unless it lets you curl the bucket up tighter to the boom.

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ9_YeDLNXg
video of your hoe Tazza , it looks like a nice unit, lots of height / reach. I see that linkage on all cat excavators and still don't see the advantage unless it lets you curl the bucket up tighter to the boom.
I have hooked it up only to remove from the truck. I haven't hooked the lines up as i need to work out a mounting system too. Not sure if i'm sold on the controls, sitting outside was good so you could see exactly what you are digging.
Yeah, my other one has the stick that connects to the bucket, just a little worn.
A friend just sent me an e-mail, he has details on the bucket that he can send to me. Hopefully i'll get a chance to make a bucket or two over the holidays.
That setup has always baffled me too, i'm sure the engineers have their reasons, just not sure what they are. The direct connection style always seemed to work for me.

mahans7

I have hooked it up only to remove from the truck. I haven't hooked the lines up as i need to work out a mounting system too. Not sure if i'm sold on the controls, sitting outside was good so you could see exactly what you are digging.
Yeah, my other one has the stick that connects to the bucket, just a little worn.
A friend just sent me an e-mail, he has details on the bucket that he can send to me. Hopefully i'll get a chance to make a bucket or two over the holidays.
That setup has always baffled me too, i'm sure the engineers have their reasons, just not sure what they are. The direct connection style always seemed to work for me.
Tazza, watched the video of the Cat backhoe. Side to side movement is nice and not as violent as my 909. Without the operators seat its also a lot more compact.

Would love to see how you build a bucket. I didn't think it was possible but like so many other things on here, I'm regularly surprised by everyone's ingenuity.

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza, watched the video of the Cat backhoe. Side to side movement is nice and not as violent as my 909. Without the operators seat its also a lot more compact.

Would love to see how you build a bucket. I didn't think it was possible but like so many other things on here, I'm regularly surprised by everyone's ingenuity.
It does look nice, hopefully i'll have a bucket made over my holidays and give it a bit of a test :) got a G sized cylinder of mig gas on Tuesday, so i'm pretty well ready to start welding some stuff.
The work people do on here amazes me too. Most of it is because they have the tools, the rest is because they actually know how to use them.
When i start on it, i'll do my best to take lots of piccies.