Backhoe Attachment

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

RodNH

I'm considering adding a backhoe attachment for my Bobcat S650. The two units I am currently interested in are Bobcat's 8811 and Bradco's 6120. They both have similar specs and cost about the same. Unlike the Bradco, the Bobcat does not have a hydraulic thumb option even though the price is about the same as the Bradco with one. The Bobcat has a rack and pinion arrangement for the boom swing mechanism whereas the Bradco uses twin hydraulic cylinders for that purpose. I have not physically seen any Bradco unit and have only viewed a different model Bobcat unit, although it was similar in construction.
One concern I have with the Bradco unit is the use of factory oil fill after final assembly and testing. I have no idea if whatever oil is used by Bradco for that purpose would be fully compatible with the proprietary Bobcat hydraulic oil used in the 650. Availability is also a concern. The Bobcat unit does not appear to be readily available (read in-stock) from any dealer according to my local Bobcat dealer. Availability of the Bradco unit is unknown at this time.
Does anyone have any words of wisdom or comment on any of the above to assist my decision. I know little about backhoes and have never used one. The unit will not be used commercially. It will be limited to miscellaneous personal uses around my home acreage.
Thanks,
Rod

nirias

Skidsteer backhoes appear to be less popular these days and lots of contractors have replaced them with mini excavators. The result is that it is hard to find the new bobcat backhoe attachments new but it is really easy to find a decent second hand unit. For around $5-6K you can get one in almost new condition. Last year I picked one up that had lots of scrapes and a bit of rust for $3500 including two of the heavy duty buckets. I have no experience with the Bradco but I wouldn't be too concerned about buying an attachment that didn't have bobcat logo oil in it. If that were a problem you would see lots of posts here from people who rented an attachment and destroyed their skidsteer due to a nuance in the formulation of the oil that was in the attachment. The only time I worry about oil in an attachment is if it is used and I see signs of neglect. They you want to drain at least some of the oil to see if it is badly contaminated (and purge it all or rethink your purchase if you see big problems).

Goblish

Skidsteer backhoes appear to be less popular these days and lots of contractors have replaced them with mini excavators. The result is that it is hard to find the new bobcat backhoe attachments new but it is really easy to find a decent second hand unit. For around $5-6K you can get one in almost new condition. Last year I picked one up that had lots of scrapes and a bit of rust for $3500 including two of the heavy duty buckets. I have no experience with the Bradco but I wouldn't be too concerned about buying an attachment that didn't have bobcat logo oil in it. If that were a problem you would see lots of posts here from people who rented an attachment and destroyed their skidsteer due to a nuance in the formulation of the oil that was in the attachment. The only time I worry about oil in an attachment is if it is used and I see signs of neglect. They you want to drain at least some of the oil to see if it is badly contaminated (and purge it all or rethink your purchase if you see big problems).
Hi I have an bradco backhoe now for about 10 years mounted on a 773. Backhoe has worked great everytime I used it. It doesnt get used alot but sure is handy when I need it in the construction buisness. I bought it new and no problem with oil that was in it.

skidsteer.ca

Hi I have an bradco backhoe now for about 10 years mounted on a 773. Backhoe has worked great everytime I used it. It doesnt get used alot but sure is handy when I need it in the construction buisness. I bought it new and no problem with oil that was in it.
You could drain the cylinders if you want too and get rid of most the oil. But most people would not worry about it. Getting all of the oil out is very difficult.
Ken