Back-up alarm

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

usa#1

I haven't checked with the dealer on pricing, but is there a generic type backup alarm that will directly mount in rear door for a S-150 without buying a "bobcat" brand part? Also, my machine doesn't have the alarm but has a "black plastic filler" in the mounting hole. There are two wires with spade type connectors. Can I just connect an alarm to the wires and be good to go? Thanks in advance.

OldMachinist

The back up alarm kit includes switches and brackets to mount them. Since you have the filler plug in the door likely you don't have the switches currently on the machine.

OP
OP
U

usa#1

The back up alarm kit includes switches and brackets to mount them. Since you have the filler plug in the door likely you don't have the switches currently on the machine.
Appreciate the response OldMachinist. I'm still curious, what are the two unconnected wires with the terminals installed on them for? (The wires are located at the location where the horn would be installed)

OldMachinist

Appreciate the response OldMachinist. I'm still curious, what are the two unconnected wires with the terminals installed on them for? (The wires are located at the location where the horn would be installed)
Maybe the standard wiring harness has the wires for the horn or yours had the horn and someone removed it. Are the switches installed near the control sticks?

renopker

Maybe the standard wiring harness has the wires for the horn or yours had the horn and someone removed it. Are the switches installed near the control sticks?
the std. wiring has wire built in to it for the horn you can buy the horn on ebay thay are ecco backup alarms #530 but a 510-520 will work allso.

OP
OP
U

usa#1

the std. wiring has wire built in to it for the horn you can buy the horn on ebay thay are ecco backup alarms #530 but a 510-520 will work allso.
renopker, This is the info I was looking for. Thanks. I had seen these units on ebay, but they didn't appear to fit in the hole in the door where the plastic filler piece is. Do these units mount on the interior side of the door such that I keep the plastic filler in place. Is there a generic unit available that fits in the round hole in the door?

Iowa Dave

renopker, This is the info I was looking for. Thanks. I had seen these units on ebay, but they didn't appear to fit in the hole in the door where the plastic filler piece is. Do these units mount on the interior side of the door such that I keep the plastic filler in place. Is there a generic unit available that fits in the round hole in the door?
Old machinist has the answer you need--Do you have the microswitches on the sticks? I'd bet not. How do you think a horn is going to do anything w/o the switches? WE have alarms. We have a toggle switch on the inside of the tailgate to turn them off. They are annoying and cause bad feelings in the entire neighborhood when doing consumer work. I wouldn't spend a nickle installing a back-up alarm unless you have a job where they are required by law or contract.

OP
OP
U

usa#1

Old machinist has the answer you need--Do you have the microswitches on the sticks? I'd bet not. How do you think a horn is going to do anything w/o the switches? WE have alarms. We have a toggle switch on the inside of the tailgate to turn them off. They are annoying and cause bad feelings in the entire neighborhood when doing consumer work. I wouldn't spend a nickle installing a back-up alarm unless you have a job where they are required by law or contract.
Iowa Dave, The S150 I have is new to me. First one I've owned. I saw the "loose" wires near the alarm hole on the door and wondered what they were for. Haven't checked for the microswitches, but I'll take a look. I really don't have to have the backup alarm, but I can see a "horn" being useful allowing an operator to signal a helper that he needs something. It's hard to yell loud enough with the engine running for someone to hear you.

Iowa Dave

Iowa Dave, The S150 I have is new to me. First one I've owned. I saw the "loose" wires near the alarm hole on the door and wondered what they were for. Haven't checked for the microswitches, but I'll take a look. I really don't have to have the backup alarm, but I can see a "horn" being useful allowing an operator to signal a helper that he needs something. It's hard to yell loud enough with the engine running for someone to hear you.
Then you don't want a back-up alarm and the needed switches at all anyway. You just need something like the trigger-switch alarms that are on the newish machines (I think my 2007 models are the first to have this, but I could be wrong--I know my 2005 machine doesn't have it). Unsure what that would take--the alarm and tying it in to one of the trigger switches should be all that you need. But let me give you a little real-world knowledge from experience: The guys with the shovels in their hands get annoyed/p*ssed real quick if you "toot the horn" when you want their attention. If the alarm was "triggered" about once a year in a real emergency, then maybe it COULD help avoid a catastrophe--otherwise, the guys will just roll their eyes and ignore it. You are much better off to idle down and talk to them, ESPECIALLY if you have a cab and heat or air--the guys will REALLY get p*ssed if they are out in the heat and you--in your air conditioned cab--"toot" at them. Spend your money on a CabCam back-up system instead--they are GREAT. (just google CabCam--should be able to get one for about $300-325.

OP
OP
U

usa#1

Then you don't want a back-up alarm and the needed switches at all anyway. You just need something like the trigger-switch alarms that are on the newish machines (I think my 2007 models are the first to have this, but I could be wrong--I know my 2005 machine doesn't have it). Unsure what that would take--the alarm and tying it in to one of the trigger switches should be all that you need. But let me give you a little real-world knowledge from experience: The guys with the shovels in their hands get annoyed/p*ssed real quick if you "toot the horn" when you want their attention. If the alarm was "triggered" about once a year in a real emergency, then maybe it COULD help avoid a catastrophe--otherwise, the guys will just roll their eyes and ignore it. You are much better off to idle down and talk to them, ESPECIALLY if you have a cab and heat or air--the guys will REALLY get p*ssed if they are out in the heat and you--in your air conditioned cab--"toot" at them. Spend your money on a CabCam back-up system instead--they are GREAT. (just google CabCam--should be able to get one for about $300-325.
Thanks again Iowa Dave, I checked my machine. It has a switch on the bucket side of the left control handle. I looked in the operator manual, it says it's for a "horn if so equipped". I didn't check for the backup alarm microswitches since I really don't care if they are there or not. The guy I bought the machine from says it's a 2006 model, at least that's what the dealer he bought it new from told him. So back to my original questions, is there an economical aftermarket horn/backup alarm (like those on ebay) that will fit in the hole on the door. And since I have a "horn" switch on the left control handle am I correct to assume the wires are for the horn/alarm.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks again Iowa Dave, I checked my machine. It has a switch on the bucket side of the left control handle. I looked in the operator manual, it says it's for a "horn if so equipped". I didn't check for the backup alarm microswitches since I really don't care if they are there or not. The guy I bought the machine from says it's a 2006 model, at least that's what the dealer he bought it new from told him. So back to my original questions, is there an economical aftermarket horn/backup alarm (like those on ebay) that will fit in the hole on the door. And since I have a "horn" switch on the left control handle am I correct to assume the wires are for the horn/alarm.
On my S150, the horn is at the front where you step in. Its also activated by the trigger on the left stick. Lif the bucket up and get someone to look to see if there is a horn installed in the hole. If its not installed, it should have the wiring there to install one.
The hole in the back is for the backup up alarm. As has been mentioned, the harness is standard equipment, it doesn't mean there ever was an allarm attached, If you remove your dash, you will see where you can add options for power bobtach etc, but the switch is not installed, nor is the valves to operate it, but the connectors are still there.
If you want to install a horn at the back, why not get a standard horn and mount it backwards a little so its protected. The noise will still get out of the engine bay, they are pretty loud, people will surely hear it!
The OEM backup alarm is bolted to the back door, you will see two holes under the hole, this is where it is secured. Buy genuine, or simply make a bracket, cheap yet effective! You will need to add wires to operate it though, as this is not the standard horn wiring back there.

OP
OP
U

usa#1

On my S150, the horn is at the front where you step in. Its also activated by the trigger on the left stick. Lif the bucket up and get someone to look to see if there is a horn installed in the hole. If its not installed, it should have the wiring there to install one.
The hole in the back is for the backup up alarm. As has been mentioned, the harness is standard equipment, it doesn't mean there ever was an allarm attached, If you remove your dash, you will see where you can add options for power bobtach etc, but the switch is not installed, nor is the valves to operate it, but the connectors are still there.
If you want to install a horn at the back, why not get a standard horn and mount it backwards a little so its protected. The noise will still get out of the engine bay, they are pretty loud, people will surely hear it!
The OEM backup alarm is bolted to the back door, you will see two holes under the hole, this is where it is secured. Buy genuine, or simply make a bracket, cheap yet effective! You will need to add wires to operate it though, as this is not the standard horn wiring back there.
Thanks Tazza and all ! I'll check for the horn up front and I'll do a little testing with the old Fluke meter to see if and when the wires in the back are hot. Also, I didn't understand that the horn and the backup alarm were different devices. That's the beauty of this forum, someone out there knows the story on these machines.