Axle Question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

crashz

Hi guys, I ran my 753 on Saturday, loading pieces of metal and moving empty totes around for about an hour. Every once in while I heard a metal thunk sound. All work was done on hard gravel surfaces. I have decent tires, inflated properly. When I parked it I stepped on the left front tire as I got out and noticed it moved. It was off the ground slightly and so I checked the play of the chain (I can move the tire about an inch before the chain tighten) which I didn't think was too bad. The bad part IMO is that the tire will move in and out of the axle tube just enough to feel the "thunk". Is there an adjustment or am I in for bearings and chains? No seals are leaking. I think that is the noise I hear when turning. Or maybe I'm being paranoid. Thanks in advance! Leo

Tazza

Staff member
You may need bearings, the chains will not cause that.
For it to have movement, there is bearing wear. You should change the bearings to fix it, there is a washer that the bolt goes through inside the chain case, this is used to make adjustments to the end float. Generally up to .015" sounds like you have a lot more than that.
I'd look at doing the bearings and seals when you can. It shouldn't cost you too much. 2 new bearings, one new seal.

OP
OP
C

crashz

You may need bearings, the chains will not cause that.
For it to have movement, there is bearing wear. You should change the bearings to fix it, there is a washer that the bolt goes through inside the chain case, this is used to make adjustments to the end float. Generally up to .015" sounds like you have a lot more than that.
I'd look at doing the bearings and seals when you can. It shouldn't cost you too much. 2 new bearings, one new seal.
Thanks Tazza! I'll get to those bearings and seals hopefully this summer. The machine doesn't run to often so that will likely be within the next 5-10 hours anyway. Should I do them all while I'm at it? Or just the worn bearings?

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks Tazza! I'll get to those bearings and seals hopefully this summer. The machine doesn't run to often so that will likely be within the next 5-10 hours anyway. Should I do them all while I'm at it? Or just the worn bearings?
I'd jack it up so all 4 wheels are off the ground. Check for end play, if there is any, you may need to do the bearings on those axles.
There should be no end float, especially none that you can hear or feel by hand.
I setup a vernier to measure each hub. If it's too far our of spec, the bearings need doing then re-checking to make sure it is correct.
If you have a lathe, you can machine the big washers inside to take the end float out.

OP
OP
C

crashz

I'd jack it up so all 4 wheels are off the ground. Check for end play, if there is any, you may need to do the bearings on those axles.
There should be no end float, especially none that you can hear or feel by hand.
I setup a vernier to measure each hub. If it's too far our of spec, the bearings need doing then re-checking to make sure it is correct.
If you have a lathe, you can machine the big washers inside to take the end float out.
Thanks again Tazza. I'll jack it up this weekend and check it out. Glad I bought the service manual on CD!