axle bearings on 642B

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

ctrhatch

Hi, I was wondering if some one could give me some info on how to change the bearings and races out on a 642B. Im stuck on how to get the races out. please forgive me if im asking a question thats already been answered but for some reason the search feature doesnt seem to work. any info would be greatly appeciated.

Tazza

Staff member
Its not a simple job, but totally doable. Your greatest problem is access. you can get to the front sprockets from the inspection cover that is the park brake pedal, but you really need the one under the drive pump too. Others have actually separated the chaincase from the chassis. Its not as hard as you may think. The bolts above the axle tubes, about 5 per axle, 2 bolts holding the front of the drive pump down hear the park brake and the lift control bar that runs under the pump. 3 hoses to heach drive motor. Lack the chassis up and roll the chaincase out.
Honestly, the best way is to have the chaincase out, its MUCH easier to do the work. There is a thread of this being done on a 743, its a lot easier than most people think.

OP
OP
C

ctrhatch

Its not a simple job, but totally doable. Your greatest problem is access. you can get to the front sprockets from the inspection cover that is the park brake pedal, but you really need the one under the drive pump too. Others have actually separated the chaincase from the chassis. Its not as hard as you may think. The bolts above the axle tubes, about 5 per axle, 2 bolts holding the front of the drive pump down hear the park brake and the lift control bar that runs under the pump. 3 hoses to heach drive motor. Lack the chassis up and roll the chaincase out.
Honestly, the best way is to have the chaincase out, its MUCH easier to do the work. There is a thread of this being done on a 743, its a lot easier than most people think.
So once I get the chaincase seperated whats the best method to get the races out from there

Tazza

Staff member
So once I get the chaincase seperated whats the best method to get the races out from there
I assume these are two piece axles, are there bolts on the hubs? If so, un-do them a few turns, they will be really tight. Use two hydraulic bottle jacks, one on each side of the axle hub, pump them up and strick the bolt head with a hammer till it cracks free.
You open the chain case, remove the bolts on the end of the sprockets. With them removed, keep pumping one of the jacks on the hub to pull the axle out. With them out, i use a long metal bar to slide inside the axle tube and knock the cups out of the axle tubes. You will need to pull them off the axles too, i have installed them with a pin punch before, but a piece of water pipe large enough to go over the axle will work to knock them back on.

OP
OP
C

ctrhatch

I assume these are two piece axles, are there bolts on the hubs? If so, un-do them a few turns, they will be really tight. Use two hydraulic bottle jacks, one on each side of the axle hub, pump them up and strick the bolt head with a hammer till it cracks free.
You open the chain case, remove the bolts on the end of the sprockets. With them removed, keep pumping one of the jacks on the hub to pull the axle out. With them out, i use a long metal bar to slide inside the axle tube and knock the cups out of the axle tubes. You will need to pull them off the axles too, i have installed them with a pin punch before, but a piece of water pipe large enough to go over the axle will work to knock them back on.
That sounds like a good plan. I'll will try that and let you know if I have Any more questions. Thanks for all the info so far. It's been a huge help.

Tazza

Staff member
That sounds like a good plan. I'll will try that and let you know if I have Any more questions. Thanks for all the info so far. It's been a huge help.
I hope it helps, you still have a big job ahead of you, but it can be done.