aux hydraulic valve is stuck

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

palmtree

I recently attached a rake with a grapple to my 1993 L555 deluxe. The cable that operates the valve was shot so I replace that with a new one. Replacing the cable was difficult due to differences in mounting the new cable into the holder near the valve. It didn't fit great but I finally got it done. I used the machine for a bit and it was very obvious that I needed to slow down the grapple. Also the cable didn't work very smoothly at all -- or maybe it was the aux valve that didn't operate smoothly. I purchased a flow restricting fitting and placed it in line to the grapple cylinder. That slowed things down nicely but the cable was very difficult to move and wanted to stick in both directions. Within just a few strokes the aux valve seized up. I assumed it was the cable but when I removed the cable the valve remained stuck in an open position. It is affecting the drive and also won't allow the bucket tilt cylinder to retract. The up and down movement of the boom seems normal. Does anyone have some tips on how to get the aux valve to close, or unstick? It seems strange that it worked better (althoug stiff) when I first hooked it up even thought the aux hydraulics hadn't been used in years. Then after an hour or so of use it locked up. Thanks

SkidRoe

My guess is that the centering spring mechanism is bound up.
Here is a link to the parts breakdown for you machine:
http://www.messicks.com/nhc/49901
There are 2 possible valves listed: a Cessna, or a Duke. The centering springs are under a threaded cap on the opposite side of the control from where the cable connects.
I am guessing that you will find a bunch of crap and/or corrosion inside.
HTH - SR

huebios

I have a C238 and it seems like a similar issue. I had a forestry mulcher attached. My dad came to visit and since I operated his 38hp skid steer as a kid I thought it would be fun to let him use the 90hp I have now. He thought it was fun to.... and broke it. This is an endless source of fun for me because of the roll reversal where I get to give him crap like he used to give me as a kid, but I digress. He changed directions on the rotation of the mulching head and put it in reverse while it was still spinning forward. Now its stuck in reverse. A valve is stuck on it somehere with the high flow hydraulic lines stuck in an open position. Any ideas?

MX727

I have a C238 and it seems like a similar issue. I had a forestry mulcher attached. My dad came to visit and since I operated his 38hp skid steer as a kid I thought it would be fun to let him use the 90hp I have now. He thought it was fun to.... and broke it. This is an endless source of fun for me because of the roll reversal where I get to give him crap like he used to give me as a kid, but I digress. He changed directions on the rotation of the mulching head and put it in reverse while it was still spinning forward. Now its stuck in reverse. A valve is stuck on it somehere with the high flow hydraulic lines stuck in an open position. Any ideas?

Does the standard flow work in both directions? Are there any leaks coming from the mulcher head? HF on the C238 (most CTLs) isn't bi-directional, although on the C238, you will get some low flow in reverse.

What year C238?

huebios

Its a 2017 with the advance high flow (high flow with cooler). I don't have anything that hooks up to the standard flow so i can't check that. No leaks from the mulcher, and no leaks in the system (other than a small one when using the hydraulic bucket disconnect). I took the mulcher off, now when I engage the hydraulic controls you can hear the pump tyring to move a lot of fluid. It I keep it at idle it bogs the motor when I try to lift the boom because so much fluid is moving. Spent some time on Messiks looking up hydralic diagrams. Only one valve on top of the pump, and one on the arm where the hoses plugin. May have narrowed it down to the valve on top of the pump being stuck in an open position, will know more later tonight.

Dirty70Bird

I think you can disconnect the cable at the bottom, pull the cotter pin, rotate the spool, or clock it, so it will stick in the on or off position, or rotate the spool a different way and the on and off positions of the lever will be momentary.

huebios

Ended up taking it in to have it diagnosed and fixed. It was the electric controller on the side of the high flow pump that malfunctioned.