Auger hole rates

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

chachiman80

Hey there everyone. I started a mini excavating/bobcat business just last year. I recently purchased an auger and want to get into drilling post holes. I'm just curious what other contractors are charging, and also what the going rate is for drilling holes?

Tazza

Staff member
Would your best bet be to charge for the time taken to drill the holes? The issue of charging per hole is that you don't know what is under the ground, you may hit rock that will take a lot longer to get through.

OP
OP
C

chachiman80

Would your best bet be to charge for the time taken to drill the holes? The issue of charging per hole is that you don't know what is under the ground, you may hit rock that will take a lot longer to get through.
That's what I was kind of thinking. This way it covers the time if things don't go well.

Tazza

Staff member
That's what I was kind of thinking. This way it covers the time if things don't go well.
You can always estimate time taken to drill the holes, but every property will be different.
I remember a member on here that quoted on a driveway or something. He had to dig across it to put in services. The woman wanted a firm quote, after he gave one and started digging, he hit rock, possibly granite, he told her it was going to take longer so cost more, she said you game be a quote so stick to it. He lost money on that job, yet she didn't care. She had the hide to ask him to do more work after that too, oddly enough, he declined that lovely offer.

Ryan123

Sometimes when i do drill holes if there is not a lot of travel i will just charge them x amount to show up and try and drill a couple just to see what the ground is like and explain that i dont want to waiste there time or money if its solid rock or real rocky ground its on of those things i hate doing really and i dont broadcast that i have a auger anymore I like for the customer to know how difficult it is where iam at in sw mo its all different kinds of ground so just try and be real upfront with the customer cause even if you dont drill the holes they wont feel cheated or let them decide if they want you to continue. It all comes back to you in the end they might have other jobs iam just against hidden suprises on both sides

Ryan123

Sometimes when i do drill holes if there is not a lot of travel i will just charge them x amount to show up and try and drill a couple just to see what the ground is like and explain that i dont want to waiste there time or money if its solid rock or real rocky ground its on of those things i hate doing really and i dont broadcast that i have a auger anymore I like for the customer to know how difficult it is where iam at in sw mo its all different kinds of ground so just try and be real upfront with the customer cause even if you dont drill the holes they wont feel cheated or let them decide if they want you to continue. It all comes back to you in the end they might have other jobs iam just against hidden suprises on both sides
Oh Yeh always include a rock clause in all bids

GreenDigger74

Look around your area and see what others are charging. That'll give you the best estimate, as someone drilling a post hole out in LA won't be the same as someone drilling one in Kentucky. Also, like others said, be sure to include a "rock clause" of some shape, form or fashion. Best to cover your rear. If they don't like it, tell them to find new land or someone else to trick into digging, not worth your time dealing with unreasonable customers. Always going to be holes to drill.

SkidRoe

Look around your area and see what others are charging. That'll give you the best estimate, as someone drilling a post hole out in LA won't be the same as someone drilling one in Kentucky. Also, like others said, be sure to include a "rock clause" of some shape, form or fashion. Best to cover your rear. If they don't like it, tell them to find new land or someone else to trick into digging, not worth your time dealing with unreasonable customers. Always going to be holes to drill.
2016 prices:
On a standard 9" hole I charge $15 per hole to dig them, $20 per hole if you want the posts set. All materials extra, 10 hole minimum. Hand dug holes are $25 each.
If I start hitting rocks, I switch to $75 per hour, 2 hour minimum. That is the same rate I charge for general excavation.
Cheers - SR