ASV track axles

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bison

I found some track roller axle brgs where shot on my ASV 4810 cause all the gear oil had leaked out(not visable at purchase) on most other axles as well.
New Seals are $35 a piece,gets costly replacing them at $75 per axle + $30 for brgs.
I was thinking of using the old seals and new sealed brgs(take the innerseal out) and filling the axles with grease.
Anybody else done that?

Tazza

Staff member
It depends on how bad the seals are, if they let dirt in because they are cracked or weak, you will get dirt in, it will mix with the grease and take the bearings out again...... I'd recommend replacing the seals too, you don't want to have to do the job again. If its for personal use, i guess you could cut corners, but you may kick your self later if you have to do the whole job again.

OP
OP
B

bison

It depends on how bad the seals are, if they let dirt in because they are cracked or weak, you will get dirt in, it will mix with the grease and take the bearings out again...... I'd recommend replacing the seals too, you don't want to have to do the job again. If its for personal use, i guess you could cut corners, but you may kick your self later if you have to do the whole job again.
well i guess if oil gets out trough the seals,dirt and water can get in,that's why i figured on using sealed brgs.
I think i'm gonna try it,if they last a 1000 hrs i'll be happy,by that time the tracks will be shot and have to come off again anyway.
I won't be doing custom work anyway so down time is not realy an issue

dozer

well i guess if oil gets out trough the seals,dirt and water can get in,that's why i figured on using sealed brgs.
I think i'm gonna try it,if they last a 1000 hrs i'll be happy,by that time the tracks will be shot and have to come off again anyway.
I won't be doing custom work anyway so down time is not realy an issue
I would be very surprised if you get 1000 hrs out of that setup. You will have to tap grease zerks on every axle tube and grease probably every 4-8 hours at least a couple pumps to make sure they stay clean. But like you said if your only putting on 100 hrs a year it will keep you running. The other thing to think about is if your axles aren't turning as smoothly you are putting extra pressure on your planetary. You do not want to ruin a planetary. I did and was super fortunate that I didn't ruin the planetary gear. It only cost me $500 in bearings. You ruin the planetary and you can kiss goodbye a smooth $3000 if you can find one.
Good Luck,
DOZER