Anyone with UD truck experience?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

V65ozzie

I need some info about a 2000 UD 1400 issue I'm having, cold starts are fogging the neighborhood out. Unsure of where to start looking. I don't understand enough about the heated air intake system to diagnose it, but, I believe that is where the issue lies. Symptoms are rough idle, huge clouds of white smoke, diesel smell. It always starts, and once it gets warmed up and runs for a few miles it is fine. If it gets cold, repeat. Not much info on the web on these trucks. Thanks in advance

farmshop

While not specific to your case. It sounds like a fuel delivery issue. How many miles or hours are on it.? Has any work been done?

OP
OP
V

V65ozzie

While not specific to your case. It sounds like a fuel delivery issue. How many miles or hours are on it.? Has any work been done?
I'm pretty sure it's something with fuel. But I did notice the other day that it is not equipped with glow plugs, has an intake air heater. I dug in there. The heater does get hot, but, when you go to start, the heater kicks on and after about 30 seconds I hear the relay shut down for it. Now, I also believe that there is supposed to be fuel being introduced into the intake, which the heater is supposed to light off(flame start?) Is see a line coming off the fuel pump going to the intake, but it's bone dry. There is virtually no info on these vehicles online that I've found, so I'm shooting in the dark here. Once it gets warmed up, it's fine.

OP
OP
V

V65ozzie

I'm pretty sure it's something with fuel. But I did notice the other day that it is not equipped with glow plugs, has an intake air heater. I dug in there. The heater does get hot, but, when you go to start, the heater kicks on and after about 30 seconds I hear the relay shut down for it. Now, I also believe that there is supposed to be fuel being introduced into the intake, which the heater is supposed to light off(flame start?) Is see a line coming off the fuel pump going to the intake, but it's bone dry. There is virtually no info on these vehicles online that I've found, so I'm shooting in the dark here. Once it gets warmed up, it's fine.
Sorry, it's got about 250k on it. It did the same thing last year, we took it to a shop and they repaired it, but, due to scheduling I was unable to pick it up personally and query the tech. I called the shop, they have been bought out and no longer service UD.

OP
OP
V

V65ozzie

Sorry, it's got about 250k on it. It did the same thing last year, we took it to a shop and they repaired it, but, due to scheduling I was unable to pick it up personally and query the tech. I called the shop, they have been bought out and no longer service UD.
Update. Ended up finding a guy who said he could work on it. So far he has diagnosed a bad injector pump, dirty injectors, wrong fuel lines(installed by the last shop) It also has a cracked exhaust manifold($$$$$$-cracked as in-2 pieces) He set up a secondary electric pump as a test and it ran a lot better, not perfect, so he is on the right track. He also discovered a missing leaf in the right rear spring(one leaf, 200 bucks, ouch) However, he believes once we get the pump, lines and injectors done we should be running fine. Replacing the manifold will get the turbo spooling up correctly, resulting in better power delivery. Pump has been sent out for repair, injectors on order. Temp weld repair on the manifold as a test, then we will replace it.