Another M500 Question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

gymsbyjo

My right drive lever seems to move forward and backward and returns to center fine. The left side the lever barely moves forward or backward and doesn't seem to center. The machine moves using this lever but doesn't feel right. When I am trying to turn a tight circle the left side tires do not seem to be turning backwards the same as the right side does when turning in the opposite direction. I have the repair manual and the parts manual just not sure what to be looking for. I've tried to search these forums but must be doing something wrong. I never get any threads to come up. Thanks Again.......Joe

OldMachinist

I can't tell you much about your machine but when you search the forum and it returns no results hit the search button again it will show results. Don't know why it does it but it does.
The M500 I think has adjustable clutches for each side and it sounds like the left side needs a little adjustment.

Kelly

I can't tell you much about your machine but when you search the forum and it returns no results hit the search button again it will show results. Don't know why it does it but it does.
The M500 I think has adjustable clutches for each side and it sounds like the left side needs a little adjustment.
Take those big nut looking things off on each side. There is a smaller nut underneath each one. The front one adjusts the forward clutch and the rear one adjusts the reverse clutch. A little bit goes a long way here. If the clutches don't respond to this adjustment they may need replacement. There is also a thrust bearing in there that goes bad and can cause some of the problems you are seeing. Enjoy.

jerry

Take those big nut looking things off on each side. There is a smaller nut underneath each one. The front one adjusts the forward clutch and the rear one adjusts the reverse clutch. A little bit goes a long way here. If the clutches don't respond to this adjustment they may need replacement. There is also a thrust bearing in there that goes bad and can cause some of the problems you are seeing. Enjoy.
I had a 610 that acted like that and it was the thrust bearings that were bad. You will have to take the side access plate off to service them and as long as you are in there drag a magnet through the bottom of the chain case you may be surprised at what comes up.

Kelly

I had a 610 that acted like that and it was the thrust bearings that were bad. You will have to take the side access plate off to service them and as long as you are in there drag a magnet through the bottom of the chain case you may be surprised at what comes up.
Good call on the magnet Jerry, you can find all kinds of treasures in there.

OP
OP
G

gymsbyjo

Good call on the magnet Jerry, you can find all kinds of treasures in there.
If it is the clutches does it seem odd that both would go bad at the same time. Sorry for asking a question then not responding. The bobcat got put on the back burner. Just started looking at it again. Thanks......Joe

BobMelroe

If it is the clutches does it seem odd that both would go bad at the same time. Sorry for asking a question then not responding. The bobcat got put on the back burner. Just started looking at it again. Thanks......Joe
I agree, you'll have to pull the side cover off. First thing I would do is unhook the conrol arm from the linkage that goes to the clutches. It's an allen head stripper bolt, and will be obvious once the cover is off. Make sure the control arm moves freely, these have grease fittings (or should) on the operator side, but are often never greased. If there is no binding there, you'll have to check the clutches and thrust bearings. It does seem odd that both would go at the same time, but things like that DO happen. If it's like the 600, the other thing to check is make sure you are getting hydraulic fluid to the clutches. Have to start it with the side over off, but you should be able to see fluid coming from the clutch packs, There is a check in the system that allows 20PSI flow to the clutches. While you have it apart, check everything for wear or damage, including each chain link on both sides. I found a broken chain link on mine, and two idler sprockets were completely shot. The chain was still intact, but with one side of a link broken it was only a matter of time before it failed. I also strongly suggest you drag a strong magnet in the sump area. I found a 7" long Craftsman chisel in my 600 that had score marks on it from coming into contact with the drive chains.
emotion-6.gif

OP
OP
G

gymsbyjo

I agree, you'll have to pull the side cover off. First thing I would do is unhook the conrol arm from the linkage that goes to the clutches. It's an allen head stripper bolt, and will be obvious once the cover is off. Make sure the control arm moves freely, these have grease fittings (or should) on the operator side, but are often never greased. If there is no binding there, you'll have to check the clutches and thrust bearings. It does seem odd that both would go at the same time, but things like that DO happen. If it's like the 600, the other thing to check is make sure you are getting hydraulic fluid to the clutches. Have to start it with the side over off, but you should be able to see fluid coming from the clutch packs, There is a check in the system that allows 20PSI flow to the clutches. While you have it apart, check everything for wear or damage, including each chain link on both sides. I found a broken chain link on mine, and two idler sprockets were completely shot. The chain was still intact, but with one side of a link broken it was only a matter of time before it failed. I also strongly suggest you drag a strong magnet in the sump area. I found a 7" long Craftsman chisel in my 600 that had score marks on it from coming into contact with the drive chains.
Thanks for the response. I'll let you know what I find..........Hopefully a Snap-on air impact(lol...I already have chisels). Thanks........Joe