Alternator & Accessories

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JoRo

I have an S-160 and my 25 amp fuse marked alternator and accessories keeps blowing out on me. I lifted the cab and checked the wiring and numerous plugs but don't see anything out of the ordinary. Just wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience or might know what's causing the problem. Thanks for looking.

OldMachinist

Disconnect the wires from the alternator and and insulate(tape) the wire terminals. Replace the fuse and see if it still blows. If it doesn't blow alternator is shorted. If it still blows see what accessories are on the circuit and disconnect them one at a time until fuse doesn't blow. With all accessories disconnected if it still blows a wire is likely rubbed thru and shorted.

donald73d

Disconnect the wires from the alternator and and insulate(tape) the wire terminals. Replace the fuse and see if it still blows. If it doesn't blow alternator is shorted. If it still blows see what accessories are on the circuit and disconnect them one at a time until fuse doesn't blow. With all accessories disconnected if it still blows a wire is likely rubbed thru and shorted.
One can assume this is for the excite or sense? 25 amp is too small for the alternator output. Sure its suppose to be a 25 amp? Does it blow when the key is turned on or when the engine is started. What accessories do you have?

mrdeere1959

One can assume this is for the excite or sense? 25 amp is too small for the alternator output. Sure its suppose to be a 25 amp? Does it blow when the key is turned on or when the engine is started. What accessories do you have?
Do you have back up alarm. If you do the problem is most likely the switches. lift up the cab and look where the linkage hooks the the bell cranks. I would bet one of the switches is bent over and the bell cranks have a lot of side to side play. no use in replacing switches if you don't fix the bell crank issue

OP
OP
J

JoRo

Do you have back up alarm. If you do the problem is most likely the switches. lift up the cab and look where the linkage hooks the the bell cranks. I would bet one of the switches is bent over and the bell cranks have a lot of side to side play. no use in replacing switches if you don't fix the bell crank issue
No, the back-up alarm doesn't work. I discovered the problem when my horn wasn't working. I replaced the relay labeled "switch power" and the horn worked fine with the key on but after the engine starts the 25 amp fuse labelled "alt & kits" burns out. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

OP
OP
J

JoRo

The label for this 25 amp fuse is "alt & kits". It only blows after the engine is running. The only accessory that I know for sure that is affected by this fuse is the horn. I had the door off so the wiper motor is not the culprit. I'm not sure if the heater is controlled by this particular fuse but that doesn't work either. However, I checked all the relays and they're fine. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

OP
OP
J

JoRo

Thank you. I'll try eliminating one accessory at a time to see if the fuse still blows. Good idea. Any idea to why the back-up alarm doesn't work?

donald73d

Thank you. I'll try eliminating one accessory at a time to see if the fuse still blows. Good idea. Any idea to why the back-up alarm doesn't work?
Unless its vibration causing wires to touch when its running, its most likely the alternator. Although anything is possible. I would pull the alternator and bring it to a rebuild shop to have it tested.

Wirenut2266

Unless its vibration causing wires to touch when its running, its most likely the alternator. Although anything is possible. I would pull the alternator and bring it to a rebuild shop to have it tested.
On my S185 I had that same issue from time to time. Took me forever to figure it out. Yes I looked at the horn switches, then looked at front side assy. connector. Follow and unhook the front side assy. cable at machine down by battery and see if it still blows? Could have rubbed the wires near lift arm pivot point.....Good luck!

OP
OP
J

JoRo

On my S185 I had that same issue from time to time. Took me forever to figure it out. Yes I looked at the horn switches, then looked at front side assy. connector. Follow and unhook the front side assy. cable at machine down by battery and see if it still blows? Could have rubbed the wires near lift arm pivot point.....Good luck!
Thanks for replying. I'm not at all familiar with the workings or wiring of a skidsteer - only had it a few months. I'm not sure what you mean when you refer to "the front side assembly cable/connector". If possible, could you or someone else explain a little more. Thanks again.

donald73d

Thanks for replying. I'm not at all familiar with the workings or wiring of a skidsteer - only had it a few months. I'm not sure what you mean when you refer to "the front side assembly cable/connector". If possible, could you or someone else explain a little more. Thanks again.
I would suggest you disconnect the battery then remove the alternator and have it tested at a rebuild shop. Its free. There might even be somethings about the alternator you will find out, like whether it can put out its rated charging output or is a diode broken? While anything can happen, its more likely the alternator has a problem than a chaffed wire. You need a manual, it will show you the wiring and where the connectors are.

OP
OP
J

JoRo

It finally dawned on me what you were referring to in your reply. I will certainly check this out and let you know. Thanks again.

OP
OP
J

JoRo

Thanks Wirenut2266 for the info. You hit the nail right on the head. I unplugged the cable as you suggested and haven't blown a fuse or relay since. The electrical cable was a mess with several wires that had come apart from a previous splice. Thanks again.

Sutton

Mrdeere1959. "hit the nail right on the head for me". On my machine S130, it suddenly started blowing the same 25A fuse as well.
It was noted on my machine it only blows the fuse in a back up motion, never driving forward.
The bell cranks on my machine wasnt bend over like mentioned by mrdeere. But the worn side play as indicated by mrdeere did result in one of the switches not working. I Fixed the side play and made sure both switches works in a way they should, but this didn't stop blowing the fuse.
Eventually i removed the back up alarm switches. This stopped blowing the fuse. Note: I also unplugging the backup alarm harness in the back door(Back up alarm disconnected), this didnt help. With this harness disconnected it was still blowing the fuse.