adding lights to a M600

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

meldawg

I want to add lights to the M600. I'm no expert in electrical matters. Anyone have an easy way to do it? I don't anticipate doing alot of night work, it just would be nice to be able to find my way back to the shed without a flashlight. Thanks, Meldawg

lesgawlik

Does your M600 have a operators cab? If it does then I'd just buy a driving light kit that comes with a switch and relay, then just mount the lights up under the front lip of the cab like they are on the M610 in this post.
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=64583
I'm sure this is not what you expected, but this what I finally settled on. http://smile.amazon.com/Ullman-Devi...544397&sr=1-1&keywords=Ullman+Devices+RT-48LT Ullman Devices RT-48LT Rotating LED Magnetic Work Light. I started off putting LED worklights on my little Case, and they worked great for a few hours. They burned out, and I replaced them. The replacements burned out, too. It turns out that LEDs don't light the power made by a magneto system, since my Case did not have an alternator. I could have wired them directly to the battery, but I didn't. I then hooked up a halogen magnetic light that plugged into a cigarette light receptacle I installed, but the plug was prone to damage. So I settled on the Ullman magnetic worklights. Since they pull off, I store them inside, out of the weather. They are very bright. I use rechargeable double batteries around the house, so I never have to worry about running out. Plus, I can use the lights for other things if need be. It has turned out to be the ideal solution.

Mikefromcny

I'm sure this is not what you expected, but this what I finally settled on. http://smile.amazon.com/Ullman-Devices-RT-48LT-Rotating-Magnetic/dp/B0061XFPPA/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1421544397&sr=1-1&keywords=Ullman+Devices+RT-48LT Ullman Devices RT-48LT Rotating LED Magnetic Work Light. I started off putting LED worklights on my little Case, and they worked great for a few hours. They burned out, and I replaced them. The replacements burned out, too. It turns out that LEDs don't light the power made by a magneto system, since my Case did not have an alternator. I could have wired them directly to the battery, but I didn't. I then hooked up a halogen magnetic light that plugged into a cigarette light receptacle I installed, but the plug was prone to damage. So I settled on the Ullman magnetic worklights. Since they pull off, I store them inside, out of the weather. They are very bright. I use rechargeable double batteries around the house, so I never have to worry about running out. Plus, I can use the lights for other things if need be. It has turned out to be the ideal solution.
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=66323
Heres my old 610 with $20 walmart driving lights. they worked good and were bright.

flyerdan

http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=66323
Heres my old 610 with $20 walmart driving lights. they worked good and were bright.
I put lights on mine a while back, one good thing about saving all kinds of stuff is that I had wiring harnesses so I could harvest a connector pair, which I recommend using so that you can remove the ROPS without issue down the road. Got some pics in here.

OP
OP
M

meldawg

I put lights on mine a while back, one good thing about saving all kinds of stuff is that I had wiring harnesses so I could harvest a connector pair, which I recommend using so that you can remove the ROPS without issue down the road. Got some pics in here.
I appreciate the advice. Lots of good ideas.I had not thought of having a connector pair and would hate to splice wires next time I tilt the cab. I do have a more basic question though. Should the light switch be wired to the ignition switch or ??? (This is a sincere question - auto parts stores assume I already know how to do this.) Thanks again.

flyerdan

I appreciate the advice. Lots of good ideas.I had not thought of having a connector pair and would hate to splice wires next time I tilt the cab. I do have a more basic question though. Should the light switch be wired to the ignition switch or ??? (This is a sincere question - auto parts stores assume I already know how to do this.) Thanks again.
I did wire mine through the switch, and I'd suggest it. Just in case you accidentally manage to switch them on while getting out and don't notice, or the cat or kid who sees it as a big plaything doesn't leave you with a dead battery. Like you, I don't anticipate a lot of night work, just had all the stuff laying around and thought it would be a good value add project. I can't remember exactly, but I'm sure that I used a 4 pole connector, ground, front lights, back light and spare. I stubbed in the extra circuit in case I decided to add something down the road, I wouldn't have to tear into the loom that is neatly tie wrapped out of harms way to do so.